Random WMAQ Thread

24994J

Alex Maragos is now officially co-anchor of NBC 5 News today from 4:30 - 7am alongside Zoraida Sambolin. Assuming he's taking the midday role as well.

One would think, but not necessarily. The article doesn't say anything about the 11. They might want to have the eventual afternoon anchor take that shift. Last I knew, Zoraida was handling the first half hour on her own, but I don't know the status of that arrangement.

The article doesn't say anything about the 11.

I actually beat Feder to the punch, wasn't referring to his article when I made my post.

Last I knew, Zoraida was handling the first half hour on her own, but I don't know the status of that arrangement.

I think that's going to remain in place. She did the 4-4:30am solo today and the format works very nicely for how early it is.

For the morning updates during the Today show, they use the evening music for the opens and the morning music for the closes.

What music is being used for the normal morning opens?

The normal morning music. They've only really changed the music on the promos and like Brant's weather photo's. Little things like that otherwise they've used the same music for everything else.

• 2 weeks later...
After being passed over for the weekday morning job, it looks like Anthony Ponce is moving away from the TV news biz. He's leaving NBC5 at the end of the month.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2016/07/12/robservations-anthony-ponce-quits-nbc-5/

The vacancies keep piling up @ WMAQ. Ponce wasn't going to get that weekday morning spot (Alex was the only choice from the start). Plus, while it's a move from weekends to weekdays, what young person really wants to wake up at 3A, work until 12:30/1P and go to bed at 7/8P?

Given he has a newborn at home, I figured Ponce would want to keep the schedule he had. Guess not...

• Like 2

Looks like they dragged Brant out of bed for the storms. He's on right now with Alicia

I believe Alicia was on this morning too, so bringing in Brant to help out I guess makes sense. But Mark @ WFLD is handling everything alone and so is Mary Kay @ WBBM.

WMAQ's trend of dragging in meteorologists who are normally off continues. It's tag-team coverage with Andy Avalos and Pete Sack on a Saturday night! (Alicia is off tonight.)

I could be wrong, but I don't think I'd remember seeing Avalos working on a Saturday night, since he left WLS!!!

When Lauren said Andy Avalos was in I thought she miss spoke for a moment. Its interesting to see him at 10. But I don't think this storm was severe enough to warrant 2 meteorologists. But there was a lot of flooding and some concerts going on in town so...

Andy was only seen during the beginning of the newscast. During the actual weather segment it was all Pete Sack. Maybe even they realized it might be overkill.

This is cool but I still feel he's doing this until his non compete clause is up. Then in 6 months to a year he'll end up at another station (preferably WGN or WBBM). Don't get me wrong the concept is sorta unique but it has been already done numerous times and it never seems to connect with an audience. I just don't see a future in this.

Is this some type of joke? Not sure why he would openly acknowledge one of the reasons he quit was because he was passed over for a job he was never going to get. Why burn the bridge of possibly returning to WMAQ some day?

I'm just not getting the overall point it seems.

Is this some type of joke? Not sure why he would openly acknowledge one of the reasons he quit was because he was passed over for a job he was never going to get. Why burn the bridge of possibly returning to WMAQ some day?

He must think the name Ponce holds some type of weight in some circles or something. I know if I was a ND somewhere, I wouldn't hire him.

I don't know. It seems all tongue-in-cheek. He *was* passed over for even younger eye candy. "Burning a bridge" seems a little harsh.