Random WMAQ Thread

24994J

You would be shocked if you knew how many stations don't have an operational delay system or chose not to use them. Follow the money...

Who is the one responsible for hitting the dump button?

The Producer?

The Director?

The Audio/TD?

The Intern?

We sure as hell know the Anchors were paying attention.

So "who" pushes the button...and monitors the conversations.

You need an extra body.

.".We can't afford more bodies."

But you are right, they should have NOT taken viewer calls. They poisoned their product by an avoidable accident. They let the viewer control the message.

The producer takes the hit on this one.

That's common practice in Chicago severe weather extended coverage to take calls.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If you are in market 181 does that still count as TV we'd recognize? It's gotta be awful low budget and he must have a GREAT agent.

He could be a part of that program that the NBC O&O's have that recruit MMJ's from college or small market stations (not sure of the name). KNSD has had one for a little over a year now and she's improved quite a bit.

If you are in market 181 does that still count as TV we'd recognize? It's gotta be awful low budget and he must have a GREAT agent.

Joel Weisman is a pretty good agent to have. Whittaker has a solid track record at WMAQ (17+ yrs.) so I trust that he knows what he's doing/who to hire. We will see on August 11.

Joel Weisman is a pretty good agent to have. Whittaker has a solid track record at WMAQ (17+ yrs.) so I trust that he knows what he's doing/who to hire. We will see on August 11.

I'm gonna be really interested to see how he does. Thanks for the info too :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well here's NBC 5's 10pm newscast push alert:

"Teen beaten by honor students speaks in an NBC 5 News EXCLUSIVE (caps mine) at 10"...

Cue 7's right after that:

"Group of college-bound teens accused of beating man over $500 bike. Details on ABC7 at 10pm"

I guess it wasn't that exclusive...

Well here's NBC 5's 10pm newscast push alert:

"Teen beaten by honor students speaks in an NBC 5 News EXCLUSIVE (caps mine) at 10"...

Cue 7's right after that:

"Group of college-bound teens accused of beating man over $500 bike. Details on ABC7 at 10pm"

I guess it wasn't that exclusive...

The "exclusive" part was the interview with the young man who was beaten, not the actual story.

The "exclusive" part was the interview with the young man who was beaten, not the actual story.

Whoops good point. I didn't get the quote exactly right from 5 because I deleted the alert on my phone. I had the impression when I first read it that they had an exclusive STORY but you're right it was the INTERVIEW that was the exclusive. My bad.
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

The city of Chicago announced a new New Year's Eve event on the downtown riverfront, and NBC 5 has been given the broadcast rights, going head to head with ABC 7 for the first time in decades.

http://chicagoradioandmedia.com/news/7654-nbc-5-to-broadcast-live-local-new-year-s-eve-program

A comment I saw online: "So instead of Mark Giangreco slobbering over Janet Davies we'll get to see Mark Adamle slobbering over Alison Rosati? Doesn't sound like an upgrade."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Alex Maragos filled in for Stefan this morning on NBC 5 News Today.

Not sure if this has been going on all week as this is my first time watching this week.

(EDIT: From what I gather this is his first time anchoring on 5, a last minute fill-in situation to cover Stefan)

Have they filled the 4:30 slot yet? Just give it to Stefan already and give Alex mornings.

No. The 4:30 slot is still open and they don't seem to be in a hurry to fill it. Alex seemed to fit in well with the morning crew.

• 2 months later...

Chi-Town Rising was as bad as you thought it would be. They waited until 30 seconds after midnight to count down the new year. And Mario Lopez? Seriously? Nothing says Chicago like having Slater host your local NYE celebration. And I've never met a local that uses the saying "Chi-town".

You're better off watching Janet Davies and Mark Giangreco embarrass themselves on ABC 7 every New Year's Eve.

• Like 1

Chi-Town Rising was as bad as you thought it would be. They waited until 30 seconds after midnight to count down the new year. And Mario Lopez? Seriously? Nothing says Chicago like having Slater host your local NYE celebration. And I've never met a local that uses the saying "Chi-town".

You're better off watching Janet Davies and Mark Giangreco embarrass themselves on ABC 7 every New Year's Eve.

Or by watching a different NYE event in the same time zone. Nashville or Dallas for example.

• Like 2