Random WMAQ Thread

24994J

• 2 weeks later...

Initial reports I've seen on Twitter say that KNBC scored a meager 3.6 rating.

NBC 5 clocked at massive 26.6...that's 931,000 households. Figure out how bars and restaurants factor into the total, and 5 million individual viewers (or more) is not too far-fetched.

Initial reports I've seen on Twitter say that KNBC scored a meager 3.6 rating.

NBC 5 clocked at massive 26.6...that's 931,000 households. Figure out how bars and restaurants factor into the total, and 5 million individual viewers (or more) is not too far-fetched.

I'd go 4... 5 seems optimistic... Still that's a TON of people.

• 2 weeks later...
A pretty interesting promo aired during saturday's 10pm news regarding the new Sky 5. They've never promoted Sky 5 before that I can recall.

I'm impressed they put an UHD camera on board. I imagine they acquire it in UHD and send a down converted image. I guess they also have the ability to zoom in / crop an HD image out.

Interesting. Could this be a game changer???

It certainly could be... With 14 years at the helm of a newscast that hasn't changed much since he left a year ago he'd have a pretty good idea how to beat them or at least make a good try.

Last night, some guy managed to pull off a phone interview prank on NBC5's Storm coverage. After saying that he thought there was a blast of wind "from Howard Stern's asshole" live on air, the interview abruptly ended and Brant Miller was clearly pissed. He quickly moved on, and actually recovered pretty well. But then, clueless Rob Stafford really screwed things up: "concerned for his safety," he tried to get the guy back on the phone. Rosati looked bewildered. Ouch.

http://thevane.gawker.com/news-anchors-worry-about-howard-stern-pranksters-safety-1713273748

WMAQ does not care if this happens. It's funny and silly when it does happen but NBC must consider it one of the cost of doing business.

NBC gets a free Stern promo...and we all get a school yard giggle.

If they really cared about preventing this stuff, they would have used the magical "delay systems" that radio stations first used 50 years ago.

Heck, KGTV-10 in San Diego had a working homebuilt 2inch Quad delay system as far back as 1974.

Any 6 year old can get past a call screener/intern.

I think most broadcast stations in the US have a dump button. Somebody just was asleep at the switch. Of course taking viewer calls like that at all is a risk in itself. I would have preferred just weather to the rolling pool of idiots the stations were bringing on last night... especially 7. Nonody really had much of anything important to add or knew how to answer a question...

You would be shocked if you knew how many stations don't have an operational delay system or chose not to use them. Follow the money...

Who is the one responsible for hitting the dump button?

The Producer?

The Director?

The Audio/TD?

The Intern?

We sure as hell know the Anchors were paying attention.

So "who" pushes the button...and monitors the conversations.

You need an extra body.

.".We can't afford more bodies."

But you are right, they should have NOT taken viewer calls. They poisoned their product by an avoidable accident. They let the viewer control the message.

The producer takes the hit on this one.