Random WMAQ Thread

24994J

I find this very interesting. Zoraida anchored the morning show and is back again at 10pm. Susan Carlson did the 11am show and Lauren Jiggets did 5 and 6. I didn't catch the 4:30 so I assume she did that one too. I wonder why they've chosen Zoraida to fill in on the 10pm and not Lauren when she is main anchor on the weekends and already did the evening shows?

With lifestyle reporter/resident chef Wayne Johnson being fired from NBC 5 last week after 9 years, the station announced that celebrity chefs will begin appearing on the 11AM news to cook their restaurant's most famous dishes. This is obviously the direction the station is going that Wayne claimed didn't include him. What interests me, though, is that they're allegedly installing a full kitchen on their set. unless it's going to be some removable piece, I have no idea where they're going to put it.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2015/04/06/celebrity-chefs-get-cooking-on-nbc-5/

When did WMAQ get the KNBC graphics? Looks very good on them.

It seems like it's been atleast three months.

I thought the package launched at KXAS when they moved into their new building in November 2013 and KNBC launched them in February 2014 when they moved to Universal City.

Yeah, WMAQ debuted them in December. It's so much better than the bastardized F V.1 they had before.

They really need to re-do the opens. They look very sloppy. On a side note, it seems like WTVJ picked up V.2 of the lower thirds (same style/design as KNBC/WMAQ/KXAS) albeit with the aqua color they've been using.

NateinFLA said in the shoutbox said that Stafford and Brooks were pretty bad tonight, and now that I've been watching for several minutes, good Lord he was right. She must have gone to the Cheryl Burton Institute of Broadcasting (CBIB- pronounced C-Bib, for short).

NBC 5's coverage is getting painful. Rob and Marion have dialed it back a little, but between reporting and phone-ins, they're still in END OF THE WORLD mode. They keep throwing to Brant in desperation to prop them up, only for him to start preaching teamwork and harmony. They have not yet lit the bonfire to sing Kumbaya. And, to add the frosting to the cake, Marion won't shut up about how they were first on the air, because that's what matters most, am I right? Classy.

They finally closed at midnight, and despite having some of the best weather coverage all evening, they really left me with a bad taste in my mouth with how they handled themselves in the last several minutes.

Poor Brant has to be back on the radio at 5:30AM, too.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

NBC 5 is poised to take the demo this sweeps period by a tenth or two of a point over ABC 7. Both stations are up among younger viewers over the last month and year, and a total viewer win still seems elusive for the peacock.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2015/05/18/nbc-5-may-have-top-story-at-10-p-m/

Nothing that I've noticed. They're investigative-heavy like 7 & 9, the team hasn't been touched. I'd assume an improved NBC line-up has helped some, but until this becomes a strong trend, I'm guessing it's a mostly isolated incident. They've won a few demos before, but haven't usually maintained that momentum.

It's funny, though, as everyone on Feder's comments keep bitching about the Mike Caplan firing, and many say they haven't watched 7 since because of Cheryl Scott. That #1. doesn't mean they're flipping to 5, #2. Scott doesn't appear on the late newscast in question (though a station-wide protest is true for some), and #3. both stations' ratings increased, debunking much of the notion that viewers are switching from one to the other.

Nothing that I've noticed. They're investigative-heavy like 7 & 9, the team hasn't been touched. I'd assume an improved NBC line-up has helped some, but until this becomes a strong trend, I'm guessing it's a mostly isolated incident. They've won a few demos before, but haven't usually maintained that momentum.

It's funny, though, as everyone on Feder's comments keep bitching about the Mike Caplan firing, and many say they haven't watched 7 since because of Cheryl Scott. That #1. doesn't mean they're flipping to 5, #2. Scott doesn't appear on the late newscast in question (though a station-wide protest is true for some), and #3. both stations' ratings increased, debunking much of the notion that viewers are switching from one to the other.

Just to play devils advocate could it be that some switched to 5 and some who had switched 7 off returned but the switching to 5 was bigger? That would offset or about in theory.

Probably, but isn't that always going on? During the main TV season, for example, I rarely check out WGN's news at 9, but with less competition, I watch it fairly regularly during the summer. In turn, I don't have as much use for any of the 10PM broadcasts. There's always people going back and forth, I just think that the Caplan incident is likely being overblown as a reason for the switch. I wouldn't be shocked at all if NBC 5's touted Blackhawks coverage (linked vicariously to NBC Sports and CSN Chicago) has some effect on their ratings, even though few of the games air on channel 5. No matter what, WMAQ is bringing in more non-regular viewers, but the question is if they can keep them, which is something they've struggled to do in the past...especially in post-Olympic sweeps periods.

Probably, but isn't that always going on? During the main TV season, for example, I rarely check out WGN's news at 9, but with less competition, I watch it fairly regularly during the summer. In turn, I don't have as much use for any of the 10PM broadcasts. There's always people going back and forth, I just think that the Caplan incident is likely being overblown as a reason for the switch. I wouldn't be shocked at all if NBC 5's touted Blackhawks coverage (linked vicariously to NBC Sports and CSN Chicago) has some effect on their ratings, even though few of the games air on channel 5. No matter what, WMAQ is bringing in more non-regular viewers, but the question is if they can keep them, which is something they've struggled to do in the past...especially in post-Olympic sweeps periods.

See that's something I don't get... Maybe it's that there are too many news organizations working behind 7 to make any one of them a really strong competitor because the audience is too diluted.

See that's something I don't get... Maybe it's that there are too many news organizations working behind 7 to make any one of them a really strong competitor because the audience is too diluted.

WMAQ and WLS were a lot more competitive, particularly at 10, for years often trading the #1 spot every few months. In late 1997/early 1998, WMAQ suffered a 20% decline in viewership after Marin and Magers quit and it took years for them to recover. WLS, to a certain degree, benefitted from that and maybe still does a little. Honestly, who knows how things would have played out if Ron and Carol had stayed...

News coverage (in general) has changed so much and with it, the habits of viewers. I think it will only get tougher for WLS to hold off WMAQ constantly in certain key demos (overall/total viewership doesn't matter) going forward if MAQ' offers up something (whether it's an investigative piece, storm coverage, etc...) that draws viewers in regardless of how long that may be. Sadly, I don't think WBBM is up to the challenge to compete with either of them. I miss the days when everyone made a constant effort to up their game and really go after each other.

WMAQ and WLS were a lot more competitive, particularly at 10, for years often trading the #1 spot every few months. In late 1997/early 1998, WMAQ suffered a 20% decline in viewership after Marin and Magers quit and it took years for them to recover. WLS, to a certain degree, benefitted from that and maybe still does a little. Honestly, who knows how things would have played out if Ron and Carol had stayed...

News coverage (in general) has changed so much and with it, the habits of viewers. I think it will only get tougher for WLS to hold off WMAQ constantly in certain key demos (overall/total viewership doesn't matter) going forward if MAQ' offers up something (whether it's an investigative piece, storm coverage, etc...) that draws viewers in regardless of how long that may be. Sadly, I don't think WBBM is up to the challenge to compete with either of them. I miss the days when everyone made a constant effort to up their game and really go after each other.

It's more fun when everyone is firing on all cylinders. One of the things I notice for better or worse is that press releases and "#1 at 10" will often cite households to make their claims. They only give the demo numbers they win otherwise. So because it's so much easier to get the totals it's easier to quantify the state of the race that way. Feder gives us demos so that's helpful but ratings data in Chicago is harder to come by than some other places like Detroit where the winning station always puts out a press release hitting its close 2nd rival over the head. I've noticed Atlanta is another place where regular releases from the stations are common.

In effect a lack of demo numbers available makes the demos irrelevant to someone trying to follow it if all they will give you is overalls. I realize that's not the way it works for setting advertising rates etc. But I guess you can only work with the numbers you are given. So if I have 10 years of household numbers for May for example I'd be inclined to want the May 15 households and ignore the demos entirely since my existing frame of reference is households. That's the situation I'm in with my Detroit stuff. I put together a ton of data from 13 years of press releases. It's at least 85% households. It'd be nice if TV were like radio and you could just go get the data from a site that aggregated it all.

Has anyone ever seen a release online anywhere from any of the Chicago stations?

Stations here have often used promos to highlight things...ie..'#1 at TEN,' 'Local Coverage. FIRST.,' etc... They don't do that as much as they once did however. That said, I can't remember ever coming across any releases online as of late.

Stations here have often used promos to highlight things...ie..'#1 at TEN,' 'Local Coverage. FIRST.,' etc... They don't do that as much as they once did however. That said, I can't remember ever coming across any releases online as of late.

I suppose winning the lottery and ponying UP the $30,000 a month might be the answer.. Then they'd probably hate somebody putting numbers out there.

It's too bad they don't tout their status as much as they used too... You'd think with the growing news presence on local TV they'd be doing it more and more...