Random WMAQ Thread

24994J

Just noticed this today: New NBC 5 mic flags. Instead of "CHICAGO HD," they simply read "NEWS." They are still triangular but with a slight curvature and are bigger, too. I believe they are Rycote mic flags with decals, identical to the ones NBC Sports uses. I like 'Chicago,' but without 'HD,' because 'news' just looks too big; there's a lot of empty blue space.

Link to the type of mic flag.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/857667-REG/Rycote_107302_Rycote_Triangle_Mic_Flag.html

After 13 years, 4:30PM anchor Rob Elgas' last day on the air is going to be March 13th. He's leaving for on his own, but his next career move is not yet known. Weekend anchors Dick Johnson and Lauren Jiggetts will fill his chair alongside Marion Brooks until a replacement is announced.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2015/03/06/rob-elgas-hauls-anchor-from-nbc-5/

Man, I hope you're right. Remember how we all thought there were dead ends for Cheryl Scott, and then seasoned veterans at ABC 7 got superseded and one got the boot.

Scott is a unique case. If Mike, Phil and Tracy were in their 30s-40s, WLS likely wouldn't have given her a second look. She jumped ship at the right time is all. Who knows how things are going to pan out with her.

Elgas probably lands either a correspondent gig at the broadcast/cable level or a job in LA or NYC is my guess. I don't have any confidence WBBM management knows what the heck they're doing so I don't see him going there.

• 2 weeks later...

So, since Rob Elgas is gone and Rob Stafford is out this week, Stefan Holt is anchoring evenings. This has already led to some interesting on-air moments, because tonight he got to toss to his dad in New York for Nightly News.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/nbcs-lester-holt-shares-a-nice-on-air-moment-with-his-anchorman-son/

I saw Marion was on at 5pm too. Did they both anchor at 6pm and 10pm too? And if so, who did the 11am?

I personally think that Stefan's got to be in the running for the 4:30pm (replacing Rob). If he gets it, I assume he continues on the 11am, and Anthony Ponce gets promoted to weekday mornings.

I personally think that Stefan's got to be in the running for the 4:30pm (replacing Rob). If he gets it, I assume he continues on the 11am, and Anthony Ponce gets promoted to weekday mornings.

I agree 100% with this statement. I don't see it any other way unless they bring back Dick Johnson.

This is pretty funny. This picture is on NBC 5's website promoting the synergy they have with Telemundo, and it was posted after Rob Elgas left the station last week.

SYNERGY_IMAGE_no+Elgas_thumbnail.png

Why is this funny? Check out the web address...

media.nbcchicago.com/images/300*169/SYNERGY_IMAGE_no+Elgas_thumbnail.png

This is pretty funny. This picture is on NBC 5's website promoting the synergy they have with Telemundo, and it was posted after Rob Elgas left the station last week.

SYNERGY_IMAGE_no+Elgas_thumbnail.png

Why is this funny? Check out the web address...

media.nbcchicago.com/images/300*169/SYNERGY_IMAGE_no+Elgas_thumbnail.png

Well that's one way to show your love for the guy I guess... :lol:

So, I was doing some Facebook snooping this afternoon with no particular target or goal, but I stumbled upon a photo album from Art Norman of a whole bunch of old pictures from his years at WMAQ. One caught my eye as it shows the old divider between the set and the newsroom. It's probably been a couple of years, but I remember we were discussing this fixture around the time they dismantled the newsroom-view set. I'd figure this photo to be about 15 years old, or so...

389650_417276511622144_1277410457_n.jpg?oh=cbbcfe51912816f08143e3adc4cb05f4&oe=55BCC589

• 2 weeks later...

That's a flawed plan. There are so many other contingency plans they could opt for, including using Zoraida at 4:30pm, instead of at 10. It really makes no sense when you consider how they handled Stefan's weeklong evening term...unless Z is only doing this today.

Either way, it makes Judy Hsu's day/night fill-in shifts look like a cakewalk.

Man, Zoraida is doing some major double duty today. Anchored the morning show, 11am, and 10pm. Then she'll be back tomorrow at 4:30am!

That is just downright cruel. I remember thinking how ridiculous it was that WBAL for several years had Stan Stovall and Tony Pann use morning shift and the 5 PM show - but they were able to go home for several hours and didn't have to do the noon shift.

I hope they give Zoraida some time off after this week.

I would think they would let Zoraida go home and rest for few hours after the 11 am show and then come back later in the evening to do the 10 pm shift. I'm wondering if perhaps she stayed at a nearby hotel to at least get a couple hours of sleep in before going back to do the morning show.