Random WMAQ Thread

24994J

Either way, I've always thought the weather center was the weakest part of the set.

Yeah, while it looked interesting, it clashed with everything else on the set. Also, while I get where they were going with the design, it was hard to execute in that tiny little studio they have. The camera shots would always be so tight (because of the small studio) that it didn't really look good on the air.

Any word on the weather center updates?

Nothing yet. I agree the overall look wasn't cohesive. In fact, when they added in the video wall for traffic reports/various segments, it made things worse. Hopefully, they clean it up a bit and have it match, to some degree, the opposite side of the set.

Edit: I retract that. It's decent but very plain

They needed something more functional than what they had before. This new weather center does that. Sure its not flashy, but in all honesty, it didn't really need to be.

I thinks it's far better than what they had. It gives me the impression of being more practical than its predecessor. And though it takes some inspiration from KNBC's weather center, I like the overall look of WMAQ's better.

I thinks it's far better than what they had. It gives me the impression of being more practical than its predecessor. And though it takes some inspiration from KNBC's weather center, I like the overall look of WMAQ's better.

It's wooden and subdued... I kind of like it. It's also calibrated well.

I honestly love the way it looks, but I don't like the NBC 5 logo on the glass panel on the left. I think that's unnecessary. I also don't see why it can't read "NBC 5 Weather Center" instead of Storm Team. Those are my only two gripes about this great looking update to the weather center.

I honestly love the way it looks, but I don't like the NBC 5 logo on the glass panel on the left. I think that's unnecessary. I also don't see why it can't read "NBC 5 Weather Center" instead of Storm Team. Those are my only two gripes about this great looking update to the weather center.

I'm not a fan of the logo on the glass either and agree the desk would look better without it. I'm thinking the NBC 5 Storm Team sign maybe a placeholder for something else, but you never know.

One thing I just noticed is the fact that the desks in the background have wheels on them, or at least what look to be wheels. I understand that wheels are practical and allow for quick movement, but this look extremely cheap to me. They have to find a way to conceal that.

Something's wrong with WMAQ's SD feed. Normally, all programming should be letterboxed like it's been since the debut of the new graphics in December. This week, however, WMAQ keeps switching between letterboxed and 4:3 cropped based on the program. Today, Days of Our Lives, and Meredith Vieira are 4:3 cropped while local news, Steve Harvey, Ellen, and NBC primetime shows are letterboxed as they should be.

During the shows like Meredith Vieira where the NBC 5 time/temp bug is on the screen, almost the entire bug is cut off on the right side, so clearly this constant aspect ratio switching isn't intentional. I wonder why it keeps switching between shows. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it since some network programming is cropped while some is letterboxed, and some syndicated programming is cropped while some is letterboxed.

• 2 weeks later...

It's 2015. WMAQ really needs to start showing recorded video in at least 1080i. Showing all recorded content in 480p, including their big "NBC 5 Investigates" segments, is just ridiculous. Seeing that blurry and pixelated "NBC 5 Investigates" logo in the corner throughout the entire segment is such an embarassing eyesore.

I'm trying to make WMAQ my go-to station at 6 and 10 pm, but their refusal to go beyond 480p is making it hard.

• 2 weeks later...