Random WMAQ Thread

24994J

It looks to be only a refresh to the lower thirds and the bug. Opens appear to be the same, and the music is the same.

EDIT: They've scrapped the custom copyright graphic from the previous package and are just using a regular lower third to display that info now.

Damn. I was hoping for the 360 music to go and be replaced by Tower V.5 or a newer version. Don't get me wrong, I like the 360 music but Tower is just pure WMAQ!

I finally got home to see the 4:30, 5:00 and 6:00pm shows. I really like this update! The OTS has been updated as well. The weather day parts (tonight, tomorrow) and the 7 day have all been updated too. The bug FINALLY has been reverted back to TIME and TEMP instead of the temp and then time. They changed that years ago and it bothered me. I too wish the opens would have been upgraded with some video instead of the same static pictures. The city is too beautiful to have some weird static image for all day parts. Cant wait to see the ticker during the morning show tomorrow!

To anyone watching in hi-def, is the logo in the bug a little pixelated and almost fuzzy-edged? It is for me, and that's something that wasn't an issue with the old one, or on any of the other stations.

I've seen that in some other places... does anyone know why this happens? I thought we had the technology to not make things look bad in HD?

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure why, but WMAQ is completely ignoring the possibility of snow on Monday night into Tuesday. Every other local channel plus the NWS, TWC, etc. all agree that we're going to get snow on Monday night into Tuesday, but I watched Byron's forecast at both 4:30 and 5:00, and neither time did he mention the possibility of snow on Monday-Tuesday, and his 7-day forecast shows a "partly cloudy" icon for both Monday and Tuesday.

Usually if a certain channel disputes the common forecast being given by everyone else, they'll make mention of it and explain the models that make them feel that way, but instead Byron and NBC 5's weather team are just completely ignoring the notion that we could even get snow Monday night into Tuesday. Why do you think this is? Are they disputing everyone else's forecast, or is it that they simply don't care about Monday or Tuesday until after Saturday and Sunday's storm system passes? If it's the latter, then that's a major flub. I certainly hope that's not the case.

Not sure why, but WMAQ is completely ignoring the possibility of snow on Monday night into Tuesday. Every other local channel plus the NWS, TWC, etc. all agree that we're going to get snow on Monday night into Tuesday, but I watched Byron's forecast at both 4:30 and 5:00, and neither time did he mention the possibility of snow on Monday-Tuesday, and his 7-day forecast shows a "partly cloudy" icon for both Monday and Tuesday.

Usually if a certain channel disputes the common forecast being given by everyone else, they'll make mention of it and explain the models that make them feel that way, but instead Byron and NBC 5's weather team are just completely ignoring the notion that we could even get snow Monday night into Tuesday. Why do you think this is? Are they disputing everyone else's forecast, or is it that they simply don't care about Monday or Tuesday until after Saturday and Sunday's storm system passes? If it's the latter, then that's a major flub. I certainly hope that's not the case.

Maybe some doubt and they want to wait one more day to see more models?

It could be because the snowfall Monday night into Tuesday may not amount to much or it's unclear if we will get any at all. A lot can change within 48-72 hours and they may not want to make 'the call' until Sat. night or Sunday. I can't blame them for being a bit cautious.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone noticed the lack of shots of the weather center. During tonight's 10pm news I noticed as Brant stood at the desk behind him there was nothing but blue with an NBC 5 graphic. Gone was the white tones and monitors of the weather center. Kind of interesting that they are already refreshing the weather portion of the set.

1862989403_WMAQ-WeatherSetChange.thumb.jpg.e537e7b2b69e87ae70a4e5a0b4352a7d.jpg