6ABC to become FIRST U.S. television station to integrate augmented reality.

Philly Junior

Seen the 'teaser's the past few days on 6ABC, this is what's coming for the Thanksgiving Day parade. I don't usually watch the parade, but I may have to check it out this year.

* I tested this out on my old iPhone 4, it worked. However it did NOT work on my iPhone 5. Odd.

6abc 'VIRTUAL VIEW' to Soar Senses and Give Viewers a New Perception of Reality

PHILADELPHIA, Oct. 21, 2013 -- In a very real way, 6abc will make simulated TV history. VIRTUAL VIEW is technology that will forever change the level at which viewers engage with the television screen. The breakthrough function puts a futuristic experience right at the user's fingertips, bringing 3D images and interactive elements to life. Viewers with a camera-ready smart phone or tablet will easily experience VIRTUAL VIEW (iOS & Android devices only). Users will simply locate a designated mark, aim their device and experience a new level of enhanced reality.

The 6abc VIRTUAL VIEW application is currently available on the 6abc.com News app. Click on the menu button at the top left, scroll down and select "6abc Events – Things to Do". Then click on VIRTUAL VIEW. From there, simply download the app to your device. Users can test their devices by visiting: 6abc.com/virtualview

"6abc is constantly pushing forward with advanced thinking," 6abc President & General Manager, Bernie Prazenica stated. "This is a very ambitious effort. We are excited to give thePhiladelphia television audience the first look at this two-screen experience. This sensory integration will further cast 6abc to the future and will widen eyes in the process."

VIRTUAL VIEW will launch during 6abc's Thanksgiving Day Parade, but 6abc Action News will offer some sneak peeks in the days leading up to the holiday parade.

The Franklin Institute (www.fi.edu) partnered with 6abc to bring augmented reality to television. Located inPhiladelphia's Parkway Museum District, the mission of The Franklin Institute is to inspire a passion for learning about science and technology.

[ATTACH]1252.IPB[/ATTACH]

AR-example.jpg.94df3f17e8777d6bff08e6081042db94.jpg

I guess the best way to describe what 6ABC will attempt to do is to see what AR is. Using tablets/smartphones it will bring the parade to "life" You're not just watching it, you'll interact with it, the big ballons may animate and pop out of your phone..not literally of course, a 3D animation. Since Dunkin Donuts is the sponsor I assume pop up animated ads with dancing doughnuts will show up on the devices.

This is an example.

(YouTube)

The promo spotlights how it works. Basically, go on the app, go into the menu, click the "6ABC Events" item. A page with a huge Virtual View logo pops up. Hit that, and then hit the link to get the junaio augmented reality thing. Go back into the app and hit the download link again - that should take you to the app, where a Virtual View icon should be on the top left of the screen. Go to 6abc.com/virtualview and point the device at the app.

Which brings us to the key point:

THEY BROUGHT BACK MR. 6. HELL YES.

While I am pumped for the apparent return of Mr. 6, the user experience here is jaw-droppingly terrible. Way too many hoops to jump through, and no indication (on iOS) of what to do after installing the Junaio app.

Instead of requiring a separate app, Junaio should provide an SDK that would be included directly in the 6ABC app. I bet the majority of users (at least on iOS) will give up before they even get it working.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived