TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

I don't think that's what he means. I think he means that he wants to turn WKYC into a mini-NBC. Meaning good journalism, good production, and good shows.

I don't either. It was a poor attempt at sarcasm on my part. Tough crowd.

DBL is starting to pick up viewers here in the Denver market slowly, but that's for it's 2nd live showing on KTVD, while NEXT on KUSA is way down from what the 6PM newscast used to be. KCNC's 6pm was ahead of "NEXT" the last 2 weeks of October.

On KUSA, 6PM is the only timeslot that TEGNAitis has infected (at least in a way).

Tonight, meteorologist Betsy Kling was one of the anchors on WKYC's 6pm show. I'll say this: if channel 3 ever needs a new evening anchor, they might have one in their weather department.

That seems like a station desperately short right now. Although they should have had the weekend anchor cover?

Tonight, meteorologist Betsy Kling was one of the anchors on WKYC's 6pm show. I'll say this: if channel 3 ever needs a new evening anchor, they might have one in their weather department.

Where was the weekend anchor crew? Did they decide to take Thanksgiving off too?

Here's hoping WKYC's morning news, or even any of TEGNA's morning newscasts, doesn't turn into this! (That debate on TEGNA's show is a big reason I no longer tune in)

Out of curiosity is DBL a show where the panelists are there for every feed or are they alternated? And are the same topics discussed/covered in each feed or is it unique.

On 11/24/2018 at 8:26 AM, rkolsen said:

Out of curiosity is DBL a show where the panelists are there for every feed or are they alternated? And are the same topics discussed/covered in each feed or is it unique.

They alternate with each hour.  That's why there's eight hosts for the show.  The same main topics are covered, though some change in each feed, and they do cover breaking news, though it's hard to have singers, actors, reality hosts, and comedians cover harder topics, then give opinions.

WFAA is struggling badly in the ratings according to Uncle Barky.  

6 hours ago, CLETVFan said:

They alternate with each hour.  That's why there's eight hosts for the show.  The same main topics are covered, though some change in each feed, and they do cover breaking news, though it's hard to have singers, actors, reality hosts, and comedians cover harder topics, then give opinions.

WFAA is struggling badly in the ratings according to Uncle Barky.  

Okay, so is it a fixed host schedule for each feed? How do they get singers, actors, reality hosts, and comedians to come on their show unless it’s a link to Denver.  I don’t see TEGNA paying the cost of flying someone in for an interview. However I could see comedians and maybe some lesser known bands coming in when they’re in town looking for exposure. 

22 hours ago, rkolsen said:

Okay, so is it a fixed host schedule for each feed? How do they get singers, actors, reality hosts, and comedians to come on their show unless it’s a link to Denver.  I don’t see TEGNA paying the cost of flying someone in for an interview. However I could see comedians and maybe some lesser known bands coming in when they’re in town looking for exposure. 

Those actually are the hosts.  The types I've mentioned.  

Can you guys picture Tegna and Tribune together?  Here's what I saw from Variety:

Meanwhile, Tribune Media’s second try at an auction of its 42 TV stations and WGN America — following the implosion earlier this year of its $3.9 billion merger with Sinclair — has so far attracted the eye of private equity players, including Apollo and others in the Fox RSN race, as well as broadcasters such as Texas-based Nexstar Media and Tegna (formerly Gannett Broadcasting). Tribune is not the only station group on the block — Atlanta-based Cox Media Group is also said to be shopping its 14 stations — but it is the biggest prize up for grabs.

Edited by CLETVFan

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, MyNewsArchive said:

TEGNA has completed it's acquisition of KWES-TV in Odessa, TX & WTOL in Toledo, OH. 

https://twitter.com/TEGNA/status/1080584096684879872

Expect changes coming to NewsWest 9 and Toledo 11 News. In the coming months... Tegna-Set-In-A-Box, new graphics and C Clarity.

Edited by TexasTVNews

2 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

Expect changes coming to NewsWest 9 and Toledo 11 News. In the coming months... Tegna-Set-In-A-Box, new graphics and C Clarity.

In terms of graphics and music, those are definite. In terms of sets, not right away as WTOL's existing one is only a couple of years old, and KWES is more likely to receive a hand-me-down set than a Jack Morton/PDG design.

10 minutes ago, TennTV1983 said:

In terms of graphics and music, those are definite. In terms of sets, not right away as WTOL's existing one is only a couple of years old, and KWES is more likely to receive a hand-me-down set than a Jack Morton/PDG design.

Have any of the Tegna stations in Texas (other than KHOU which lost its studio in Harvey) had a set change lately? They could always give them at least parts of an old WFAA, KENS or KVUE set.

Considering KIII/Corpus got a used set from WUSA and KCEN/Waco got one from KUSA, I’d be shocked if KWES got something new. Both Waco and Corpus are larger markets than Midland. (Waco is actually more than 50 markets bigger.) WFAA essentially refreshed its old set. KVUE and KENS got the set in a box. Neither KVUE nor KENS had a “fancy” set worth saving like the two recycled ones mentioned above, but who knows. Maybe KWES will get the KHOU temporary set when they move to their new digs. Or not.