TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

When a Sinclair-owned station is outdoing you, you might have a problem.

How big is WMTW's studio?

It's pretty small, just as their studio was when they were in Monument Square. They're sharing space with WPXT/WPME, so there's only so much real estate there. WGME's newsroom is quite spacious as well:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUP5CK3VQAASwND.jpg

Just saw a promo for a new show on Tegna Seattle affiliate King 5 it appears to be taking the place of the current 4 pm newscast and will be anchored by Jordan Steele, Angela Russell, Michelle Li & Chris Cashman in a The Talk & The View type setting. No word what will happen to current 4 pm anchors Amanda Grace & Mark Wright. Presumably Mark Wright will continue as noon 5 & 6:30pm co-anchor but will Amanda take over either the 5 or 6:30pm shows from Lori Matsukawa or will she just do the 7, 9 & 10 pm shows?

The "This is Home" package lives on at WCSH - as a commercial music bed for one of their clients. This exact cut from the package was previously heard as the original theme for "News Center Now"

THAT'S from This is Home? Never heard that cut before. Man, that's some good music.
  • Like 1

Just saw a promo for a new show on Tegna Seattle affiliate King 5 it appears to be taking the place of the current 4 pm newscast and will be anchored by Jordan Steele, Angela Russell, Michelle Li & Chris Cashman in a The Talk & The View type setting. No word what will happen to current 4 pm anchors Amanda Grace & Mark Wright. Presumably Mark Wright will continue as noon 5 & 6:30pm co-anchor but will Amanda take over either the 5 or 6:30pm shows from Lori Matsukawa or will she just do the 7, 9 & 10 pm shows?

Disappointing getting rid of their 4pm news. But, interesting.

It looks like the show is called "Take5 Seattle". Here is the description of the show on Twitter...

News on a mission: learn something, feel something, DO something. Community, Empowerment, Innovation, Inspiration, Advocacy.

Sounds TEGNA to me. Hope it ends up being a good show and does good in the ratings. I like how TEGNA innovates things, but they just don't innovate the right way all the time. When did Angela Russel join KING 5? Is this the same Angela Russel from KIRO? She should be anchoring at KING on a normal broadcast not some new show. She's a very strong journalist. I would LOVE to see Marni Hughes join KING. She's awesome.

• Like 2

No time soon...
It should just sever the umbilical cord with KOLD and have newscasts of its own like it sort of used to, and KNAZ should at least have the same subchannels that KPNX has even if they're not going to have newscasts of their own anytime soon, which I think they should.

It should just sever the umbilical cord with KOLD and have newscasts of its own like it sort of used to, and KNAZ should at least have the same subchannels that KPNX has even if they're not going to have newscasts of their own anytime soon, which I think they should.

I doubt "Launch a standalone newscast on our Tuscon FOX affiliate" is very high on TEGNA's to-do list.

Just being honest here. I wouldn't expect it to happen any time soon, if ever.

• Like 1

I doubt "Launch a standalone newscast on our Tuscon FOX affiliate" is very high on TEGNA's to-do list.

Stranger things have happened--like TEGNA starting up standalone newscasts on their way smaller market FOX affiliates in San Angelo and Abilene...

Though it's probably easier to just do the shared agreement with KOLD.

TEGNA is making money off of the station (through sales) while not having to actually pay for the operational costs of the station. I doubt they want to change that formula.

• Like 1

Just being honest here. I wouldn't expect it to happen any time soon, if ever.

Consider that it was only for three years, essentially, that KMSB had no umbilical cord to anybody.

I especially can't see it now in this environment of station consolidation. Economically, Tucson isn't exactly Phoenix.

Consider that it was only for three years, essentially, that KMSB had no umbilical cord to anybody.

I especially can't see it now in this environment of station consolidation. Economically, Tucson isn't exactly Phoenix.

Maybe in a few years they'll sever the umbilical cord with KOLD. But for now, they'll have to stick with them.

One thing I’ve noticed with TEGNA is not afraid to send their reporters on long stories. Mike Valerio of WUSA was on a 24 hour flight to Tarawa, a remote pacific island, on bringing buried WWII soldiers home. It’s not his first trip there either. I think he’s made two others. Apparently he’s their chief International investigative journalist.

• Like 2