TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

If this Red Seat Ventures comes to Cleveland, I expect WKYC's ratings to plummet. Not down to having to slum with WEWS or WOIO, but enough to make WJW absolute in the ratings until S*nclair (or Nexstar) buys Cleveland's Own.

If this Red Seat Ventures comes to Cleveland, I expect WKYC's ratings to plummet. Not down to having to slum with WEWS or WOIO, but enough to make WJW absolute in the ratings until S*nclair (or Nexstar) buys Cleveland's Own.

If that happens, expect WJW to have 10, 15 or even 20% share on most of its newscasts. Idk who'll become second from there on because WOIO is just not there to affect ratings and WEWS has went straight to hell under recent Scripps strategies. WKYC is good now at second place but if Red Seat Ventures comes through, its over for WKYC and may drop to third or even fourth.

Now I wish Gannett never had that breakup.

If that happens, expect WJW to have 10, 15 or even 20% share on most of its newscasts. Idk who'll become second from there on because WOIO is just not there to affect ratings and WEWS has went straight to hell under recent Scripps strategies. WKYC is good now at second place but if Red Seat Ventures comes through, its over for WKYC and may drop to third or even fourth.

Now I wish Gannett never had that breakup.

The reason why they have social media obsessed news is because, and I doubt anyone here will admit to this, the mainstream media (including local news), and by extension television itself is becoming obsolete, and as WCSH/WLBZ is showing, the media is desperate to remain relevant. I've said this many times and I'll say it again: Why wait for the 6 o'clock news anymore (which is often full of elitists now) when you can get it online?
  • Like 3

The news media is obsessed with social media because it's free. Free to poach from, free to quote without attribution, free to use as an "unnamed source"...Free to post promo's, free to post opinions.

One BIG free for all.

Which is great if you have no funds to actually get off your asses and really cover a real story. Why take weeks investigating something when you can just poach the websites of your political slant.

The media now "conspires" to impress friends because they are too lazy (social media) and too ashamed to truly cover their "friends".

The media has become fat and lazy...broke and bloated.

Let some fail.

There are some budding no-biased news outlets kicking ass each day. They have small loyal followings and are becoming gems in a tainted media world.

If you look around...you will find them.

You must however have an open and very realistic mindset.

• Like 1

The news media is obsessed with social media because it's free. Free to poach from, free to quote without attribution, free to use as an "unnamed source"...Free to post promo's, free to post opinions.

One BIG free for all.

Which is great if you have no funds to actually get off your asses and really cover a real story. Why take weeks investigating something when you can just poach the websites of your political slant.

The media now "conspires" to impress friends because they are too lazy (social media) and too ashamed to truly cover their "friends".

The media has become fat and lazy...broke and bloated.

Let some fail.

There are some budding no-biased news outlets kicking ass each day. They have small loyal followings and are becoming gems in a tainted media world.

If you look around...you will find them.

You must however have an open and very realistic mindset.

The reason why they became broke is because they aren't that relevant anymore, but yeah, I agreee with you, eapecially the part about that there are no-bias news outlets called alternative media, and many of them get shut out because of the elitism (not to mention their hypocrisy about diversity right down to lack of diversity in ideas, and yes, race) that permeates the mainstream media these days
  • Like 3

The reason why they became broke is because they aren't that relevant anymore, but yeah, I agreee with you, eapecially the part about that there are no-bias news outlets called alternative media, and many of them get shut out because of the elitism (not to mention their hypocrisy about diversity right down to lack of diversity in ideas, and yes, race) that permeates the mainstream media these days

If they were not relevant anymore, then they would cease to exist... So you're mistaken there.

Secondly: What the heck are you arguing about now? Biased and non-biased news sources exist for one reason or another (whether you like them or not). Construct some coherent sentences.

If they were not relevant anymore, then they would cease to exist... So you're mistaken there.

Secondly: What the heck are you arguing about now? Biased and non-biased news sources exist for one reason or another (whether you like them or not). Construct some coherent sentences.

I'm just restating what Eat News said because I agree with him.

Also, I only said the mainstream media weren't that relevant, but yeah, I should've clarified this. The mainstream media is still relevant, however, just not as relevant as they were 10 (or even 5) years ago, especially the mediums they deliver content on (cable, TV), because with a lot of people younger than 40, why wait for the 6 o'clock news when you can get it online, some of which from alternative news outlets?

And last, I hate the elitism that has permeated journalism in the mainstream media's recent years, not listening to citizen journalists (which is why I consider Fresco and blogs to be godsends to journalism), or alternative media outlets just because they're not a part of the club known as mainstream journalism. Which leads me to this point that relates to that: Why does the mainstream media shove "diversity" down our throats when they themselves lack diversity in ideas and (yes that's right) race?

• Like 1

I'm just restating what Eat News said because I agree with him.

Also, I only said the mainstream media weren't that relevant, but yeah, I should've clarified this. The mainstream media is still relevant, however, just not as relevant as they were 10 (or even 5) years ago, especially the mediums they deliver content on (cable, TV), because with a lot of people younger than 40, why wait for the 6 o'clock news when you can get it online, some of which from alternative news outlets?

And last, I hate the elitism that has permeated journalism in the mainstream media's recent years, not listening to citizen journalists (which is why I consider Fresco and blogs to be godsends to journalism), or alternative media outlets just because they're not a part of the club known as mainstream journalism. Which leads me to this point that relates to that: Why does the mainstream media shove "diversity" down our throats when they themselves lack diversity in ideas and (yes that's right) race?

The problem with "alternative news outlets", "citizen journalists" is that many lack the training/schooling/knowledge that we must expect from the journalism profession. Yes, you could make the bigger argument that true journalism has been dying for a while now. However, some of these "alternative news outlets" are no different than the biased mainstream media. These blogs/"citizen journalists" give a voice to those individuals whom feel that their message is not being heard or who feel that there are others like them out there looking for the same kind of attention. Good or bad, that's up for debate. The dangerous part lies in the fact that you can't really hold a Joe Shmoe "citizen journalist" accountable for misinformation or spreading lies like you could the likes of Wolf Blitzer or CNN/FOX News, etc.

The problem lies in the fact that most of the public is unable to distinguish what is true/fake/opinion. People believe what ever fits the narrative, and that is NOT what the journalism profession should stand for.

As far as not waiting for the 6pm news, etc. You're correct. However, this just follows the natural progression of time, of how information makes it to the public. i.e.: (word of mouth>Newspapers>radio>television>internet). Eventually something else will come along and push the Internet back as a different method of delivery.

This whole issue is multi-pronged. You can't have one conversation without taking into account everything else that effects it.

The problem lies in the fact that most of the public is unable to distinguish what is true/fake/opinion. People believe what ever fits the narrative, and that is NOT what the journalism profession should stand for.

History will show that nobody ever made a profit from telling the truth.

Eat News.

The problem with "alternative news outlets", "citizen journalists" is that many lack the training/schooling/knowledge that we must expect from the journalism profession. Yes, you could make the bigger argument that true journalism has been dying for a while now. However, some of these "alternative news outlets" are no different than the biased mainstream media. These blogs/"citizen journalists" give a voice to those individuals whom feel that their message is not being heard or who feel that there are others like them out there looking for the same kind of attention. Good or bad, that's up for debate. The dangerous part lies in the fact that you can't really hold a Joe Shmoe "citizen journalist" accountable for misinformation or spreading lies like you could the likes of Wolf Blitzer or CNN/FOX News, etc.

As far as not waiting for the 6pm news, etc. You're correct. However, this just follows the natural progression of time, of how information makes it to the public. i.e.: (word of mouth>Newspapers>radio>television>internet). Eventually something else will come along and push the Internet back as a different method of delivery.

This whole issue is multi-pronged. You can't have one conversation without taking into account everything else that effects it.

You do make a good point about a lot of the things you said right there. Even I have trouble distinguishing between fact and fiction sometimes and to think I used to trust The Young Turks as a source of news (not that I would trust InfoWars then, and I won't trust them now), and now, I'm more vigilant as to what news sources to trust. For me, wikileaks has become more trustworthy than it ever has been, (and I prefer it by far over infowars). That being said, I don't expect them always know what's going on or always be right, because insiders are hard to find and even then, they either don't know a lot about certain things or they're lying.

Also, I agree with you when you said that most people believe what fits the narrative. That, and emotional manipulation (that I've noticed, is now as common in the liberal media as it is on Sinclair and Fox News, it's scary) is why propoganda works, first conservative propoganda (mccarthyism), now liberal propoganda (progressivism, as in the movement, despite its name, is now regressive and is starting to resemble McCarthyism).

As for the training/schooling/knowledge, I have to disagree with you there because most journalists 35 years ago didn't have the training or schooling, but they did have the knowledge (like some alternative news outlets, obviously not all), and even those that did have training and schooling as well as knowledge had integrity, which is why I consider 1986-2001 the journalism renaissance.

Now journalism is becoming a club of elitists, many of whom ignore the other guys. Sorry, I get a little worked up over elitism in journalism as well as yellow journalism.

• Like 3

Anyway, back on topic, tegna needs to update its media page on its website so that it either places the stations by market rank in descending order like Tribune, or make a map of the stations with the market rank of the stations and station info like Nexstar

Also, td jakes show will be replaced by a show called "BOLD" (which more than likely isn't that bold) on all tegna stations effective this fall.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/distribution/exclusive-tegna-s-bold-replace-td-jakes/164112

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

[quote=TexasTVNews,

post: 171595, member: 32]Tegna and MGM to launch a live syndicated daytime show in the fall.

http://deadline.com/2017/01/bold-daytime-show-syndication-tegna-media-mgm-1201887578/

Follow up. The program that was suppose to been named BOLD, will now be named Daily Blast Live.

The program will launch on the Tegna stations instead of a full national syndication launch (in which they weren't able to get clearance in other markets). And it will only produce seven live feeds instead of 13 (which was originally planned).

• Like 1

Nexstar to buy TEGNA (pls let this just be a regular Tuesday/Wednesday rumor)

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/4/26/nexstar-to-buy-tegna

The way things are going, they can have them. From their inbred syndication efforts, cost cutting of experienced talent and needlessly re-inventing the wheel, Nexstar may be a positive...

But such a deal would be LADEN with conflicts. It would likely put WTSP on the block so a real owner could undo the damage...

From one deathstar....

To another...

Nexstar to buy TEGNA (pls let this just be a regular Tuesday/Wednesday rumor)

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/4/26/nexstar-to-buy-tegna

Nexstar isn't as bad as we hyped them up to be. Sure they laid off an assload of people and brought down helicopters (the latter of which is a smart move because of excess helicopter noise), but they're not that bad. We were all overreacting (including myself). TEGNA however, sucks now, and Nexstar buying it would, despite what FTVLive says, actually be an upgrade to it the way Sinclair was to Barrington.

Honestly, I thought of that possibility (but didn't post about it) and felt they might actually fit quite well. There are 8 conflicts and 2 new duopolies created (the Speculatron post I mentioned them in more details), but it is a lot less messy than Sinclair-Tribune and the stations actually feel like they belong together.

Combined, their national reach would be 58.5%. That *should* fit within the adjusted cap.

• Like 2

But such a deal would be LADEN with conflicts. It would likely put WTSP on the block so a real owner could undo the damage...

Yeah, Sinclair would be such an improvement. You know they would snap up all the conflicts they could, including WTSP.

Yeah, Sinclair would be such an improvement. You know they would snap up all the conflicts they could, including WTSP.

They couldn't if they also acquire Tribune, since that deal alone would put them over the cap, let alone anything beyond that.

• Like 2

Nexstar is sucking up to the administration just like Sinclair is. They will both get exactly what they want as long as they keep that up.

Nexstar isn't as bad as we hyped them up to be. Sure they laid off an assload of people and brought down helicopters (the latter of which is a smart move because of excess helicopter noise), but they're not that bad.

Yeah, mass layoffs aren't bad at all ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also I can almost guarantee you that "helicopter noise" had absolutely nothing to do with the reason they got rid of their helicopters.

• Like 5