TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

Looks like ABC 10 is revamping their WX graphics just a tad.

http://cdn.tegna-media.com/kxtv/weather/web-10-day.jpg

The ABC font type.

Nah. ABC owns the rights to that font and Tegna is doing a rebrand soon.

So I went looking around the ABC10 video archive, and for what it's worth, all portions of ABC10/KXTV has changed to that look, not just the weather department. It appears DIN is not going to be their default font anymore either -- but that "ABCish" font is the new normal.

There's also no more rundown, no more permanent L3 and oddly, and no second line on the L3. Instead, the L3 wipes and shows the second line text in the full L3 bar. The topic (News/Breaking/Weather, etc) is also no longer static, and can pretty much be changed into anything they want it to.

They're also still sticking to the topical color palate, but it's so much more subdued than the current look -- only as a stripe on the side of the L3. White backgrounds have replaced the black and gray all over the place.

This very well could be TEGNA's pull away from the old G3 look.

http://www.abc10.com/media/local

Is this part of the KXTV package or is Tegna rolling out more than one new look? KVUE has started using them within the last couple days, and it doesn't quite feel like it matches the minimalism I can see on KXTV's web site.

2405842_Still.jpg?preset=6up

Scott is reporting that NWCN will cease operations next year.

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2016/10/27/breaking-tegan-to-shut-down-cable-news-channel

FTVLive has reported a lot of true stories so if this becomes true, truly sad for the Northwest region that they'll losing their only 24-Hour regional cable news channel.

NWCN is like TEGNA's last great cable news channel because the only other one (NewsWatch 15) airs nothing but repeats and NWCN was profitable.

Is this part of the KXTV package or is Tegna rolling out more than one new look? KVUE has started using them within the last couple days, and it doesn't quite feel like it matches the minimalism I can see on KXTV's web site.

2405842_Still.jpg?preset=6up

I just noticed those tonight down here on WVEC as well. Haven't seen them before either, but the brightness/white makes me think it could be a part of the new package too.

• Like 2

So, either TEGNA has loosened up their standardization policy some or... they must be trying out some changes, because I just found this look out of KPNX/12 News in AZ:

http://www.12news.com/news/local/valley/police-investigating-deadly-shooting/343096325

Granted, it's only on their morning show, but still.... that's the strangest L3 I've seen. EVER.

No, it's not. A full-screen from KTRK for comparison.

Only seeing that screenshot, is it possibly just for political coverage, or is it being used on other news, too?

It's in a few packages I've seen in all their different colors. There's one in the life purple.

But like I said before the one stand-out is the white color, in contrast to the blacks and grays they feature.

1075653467_wvecsldingboxies.thumb.png.847104cbf69737d87dafc114f4811303.png

First... The 24/7 News Channel from KTVB, then TXCN and now NWCN. What's next... NewsWatch 15?

Depends. Who's footing the bill for that cable channel? IIRC, it's just replays of WWL, so I'm sure the MVDO is paying the most costs...

• Like 5

I'd be surprised if NewsWatch 15 shut down, because as mentioned above, it's nothing but replays of the last newscast. If they are still able to sell it, what's the reason to turn it off?

Though it is still just SD-only - perhaps it's not worth the time/effort to make it HD or widescreen.