TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

I know this might sound stupid because its not likely to happen, but if for whatever reason, TEGNA decides not to renew its affiliation agreement with ABC in 2018 for most, or even any of its stations, how are they going to manage that? This would be especially problematic for WFAA with the other big 4 affiliates being O&Os of their respective networks, and the only way for affiliation switch to be possible would be for either NBC or CBS to sell their stations to ABC, which in itself is unlikely to happen (TXA 21 becoming a CW O&O is more likely to happen). And I wonder about TEGNA's other ABC affiliates if that happens. Like I said though, I think its an unlikely scenario.

• Like 1

I know this might sound stupid because its not likely to happen, but if for whatever reason, TEGNA decides not to renew its affiliation agreement with ABC in 2018 for most, or even any of its stations, how are they going to manage that? This would be especially problematic for WFAA with the other big 4 affiliates being O&Os of their respective networks, and the only way for affiliation switch to be possible would be for either NBC or CBS to sell their stations to ABC, which in itself is unlikely to happen (TXA 21 becoming a CW O&O is more likely to happen). And I wonder about TEGNA's other ABC affiliates if that happens. Like I said though, I think its an unlikely scenario.

Hey, at least you were right about one thing:

It did sound stupid.

• Like 2

There's absolutely no chance in hell WFAA will become ABC O&O; just remember, ABC/Disney is not looking to buy TV stations, and as far as I'm concerned TEGNA will renew the affiliation contract with ABC. No problems.
I figured that part. But in that case, TEGNA should add their ABC affiliates to the ABC all access livestream. I checked and WFAA (and other ABC affiliates owned by TEGNA I assume) isnt on there.

And I would think that the reason ABC hasnt bought any stations is because there isnt an opportunity for that to happen yet. Also, I never said WFAA would become an ABC O&O, just that it would switch to either NBC or CBS by either one of them selling their respective O&Os, but at this point, the chances of that happening are extremely slim. For one thing, NBC 5 and Telemundo 39 are both housed in the same building as well as DFW being one of the top #10 TV markets in the nation, and while you could say the same thing of CBS 11 and TXA 21, they could be sold off to ABC a lot easier. Thing is, CBS isnt that willing to part with said duopoly in part seeing as how the building housed there is called the CBS Tower, among a few other reasons (yet, as mentioned in another thread, like most CBS O&Os, CBS 11 isnt #1 or #2 in the ratings most of the time), not to mention its more likely for TXA 21 to become CW 21.

• Like 4

CBS isnt that willing to part with said duopoly in part seeing as how the building housed there is called the CBS Tower....

But they could go to Home Depot and buy 3 new sticky letters...and change the name of the building...all for 67cents per letter.

A

B

S

C

F

O

X

C

and....

W

Just keep those letters in the toolbox pappy!

• Like 1

But they could go to Home Depot and buy 3 new sticky letters...and change the name of the building...all for 67cents per letter.

A

B

S

C

F

O

X

C

and....

W

Just keep those letters in the toolbox pappy!

But theyd have to get a new font. And besides, I myself think that WFAA losing its ABC affiliation is unlikely, and WFAA wont become an ABC O&O (channel 7 and the circle 7 logo were already taken by KLTV for one thing), at least not anytime soon.
  • Like 1

As expected, KXVA Fox Abilene rebranded today as FOX 15 Abilene, with the news wesbite and all (fox15abilene.com). With that, they moved their 6:30 and 9 newscasts to 6 and 10, respectively "to go head to head" with the other marker stations. Considering they still share assets with KIDY, I'm assuming they're just going to share the same newscasts, although that remains to be seen.

Here's their FB video:

On a side note, TEGNA is definitely throwing money their way. Maybe they'll finally get a studio next...

UPDATE: KIDY has also switched to the new Gannettegna web theme. URL is currently still myfoxzone.com, however the url www.foxsanangelo.com now redirects there. And with that, all of the former London stations, and now all of TEGNA's properties are in the fold.

As expected, KXVA Fox San Angelo rebranded today as FOX 15 Abilene, with the news wesbite and all (fox15abilene.com). With that, they moved their 6:30 and 9 newscasts to 6 and 10, respectively "to go head to head" with the other marker stations.

Considering they still share assets with KIDY, I'm assuming they're just going to share the same newscasts, although that remains to be seen.

Here's their FB video:

On a side note, TEGNA is definitely throwing money their way. Maybe they'll finally get a studio next...

KXVA Fox Abilene*

KIDY is continuing the KIDY Fox San Angelo brand as far as I can tell.

'

It's unlikely that they'll be sharing the same newscast. KIDY is being pre-recorded and then aired at 6 and 10, while KXVA is live to focus on being "local" in the Abilene market which, in my opinion, is a lost cause since the operations still stem out of San Angelo.

They changed the branding to make the two stations appear that they are operating separately.

• Like 1

KXVA Fox Abilene*

KIDY is continuing the KIDY Fox San Angelo brand as far as I can tell.

'

It's unlikely that they'll be sharing the same newscast. KIDY is being pre-recorded and then aired at 6 and 10, while KXVA is live to focus on being "local" in the Abilene market which, in my opinion, is a lost cause since the operations still stem out of San Angelo.

They changed the branding to make the two stations appear that they are operating separately.

Fixed that; thanks!

And is the Big Country more marketable in news than the Concho Valley? If so, that would lead me to understand their choice...

Fixed that; thanks!

And is the Big Country more marketable in news than the Concho Valley? If so, that would lead me to understand their choice...

I guess that depends on who you ask. Abilene is indeed a bigger market, but the competition has been around quite a long time. If you ask me, this is something that should have happened years down the road. I personally do not think this format will last.

As for San Angelo...KIDY has made strides with the audience there and is the only station that provides local news in HD. That alone is a reason that people have switched. KLST and KSAN have been getting a run for their money and it shows. It boggles my mind that they put aside a product that has been working since the operation started 2 1/2 years ago in favor for trying to be local in a market where they truly are not.

• Like 1

In other as-expected Texas news, Waco's KCEN has dropped it's KCEN-HD branding, instead opting for the generic "Channel 6" branding.

Logo is as expected:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10153615555741510

Open: http://www.kcentv.com/news/local/local-university-sees-first-day-of-campus-carry/285591535

• Like 1

As expected, KXVA Fox Abilene rebranded today as FOX 15 Abilene, with the news wesbite and all (fox15abilene.com). With that, they moved their 6:30 and 9 newscasts to 6 and 10, respectively "to go head to head" with the other marker stations. Considering they still share assets with KIDY, I'm assuming they're just going to share the same newscasts, although that remains to be seen.

Here's their FB video:

UPDATE: KIDY has also switched to the new Gannettegna web theme. URL is currently still myfoxzone.com, however the url www.foxsanangelo.com now redirects there. And with that, all of the former London stations, and now all of TEGNA's properties are in the fold.

At least....

TEGNA if your seeing this ... KENS channel 5 desperately needs a new logo too...

KENS needs a new...everything.
A lot of TEGNA stations need a bit of new stuff, mostly new logos, KENS, WFAA, and even 11Alive being only a few of many examples of stations still needing new logos. At least KXTV got a new logo, even though it isnt the best one out there.
  • Like 2

I noticed yesterday that first coast news got a new logo for its news operation, WTLV and WJXX themselves still have the same logos though.

I also noticed that Cars.com has a new TV segment that airs on the TEGNA stations' newscasts:

https://www.cars.com/articles/carscom-on-tv-check-out-our-segments--1420685020587/

For some reason, KCEN/KAGS, KYTX, KBMT, KIII, KXVA, and KIDY arent listed along with a few other typos.

I noticed yesterday that first coast news got a new logo for its news operation, WTLV and WJXX themselves still have the same logos though.

In case you don't want to dig:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10154463044018987

It's bland. It's generic. It's a font with network logos. But anything is an improvement over their old logo circa 2010. For some reason, the old logo just kept reminding me of the old graphics with the rundown on the side. In addition, I almost want to say it looks like they either have a new set or have had a refresh lately.

• Like 2