TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

No I have AT&T U-Verse. I have a flat screen plasma and a CRT. I don't pay the extra $10/mo for the HD package because I have no need to watch TV in HD even though my flat screen is an HD set, it's an unnecessary expense. U-Verse does not letterbox 5.

I also hate letterboxed video. I would rather see the 16:9 video compressed to the 4:3 aspect than to see black bars hogging up my screen.

Also, forgot to note, Great Day SA did not have any graphics changes. It looks out of place now because it was clearly based off their now former graphics package. The show promo graphics, like "Wheel of Fortune, tonight at 6:30" are also still the old Belo pack. KENS5 is now a big mess graphically.

I still don't like the idea of single streamed HD only and downconverts to SDI viewers. That's one of the reasons why I do not like the new Gannett package because they engineered all of their stations to only output HD or 16:9 feeds.

I don't want to lecture and say "don't sweat the small stuff" but I really don't care if something isn't consistent such as a promo or talk show. Switching to a new brand since the dawn of modern production trickles down over time since show promos and non news shows is often lower priority. Anyways why should a talk show have all purple graphics if its not even a news program?

Saw some of KHOU's newscast today, and their OTS on their flat panel for the Rick Perry indictment looked Gannett-ish and their hour to hour forecast had that wheel that I think comes from that package too.

I guess slow implementation is better than sudden.

Oh lord... Is that where the wheel of weather comes from? That's got to be the tackiest, most comical weather element I've ever seen. Hate hate hate it!!

Oh lord... Is that where the wheel of weather comes from? That's got to be the tackiest, most comical weather element I've ever seen. Hate hate hate it!!

I thought it originated in Atlanta.... Don't they call it the Wizometer or something?

I thought it originated in Atlanta.... Don't they call it the Wizometer or something?

I don't necessarily think WXIA was first in this nonsensical "day by the numbers" thing, but they certainly popularized it. They've backed off quite a bit from 2012, but they still use the Wizometer, much to my dismay.

I don't necessarily think WXIA was first in this nonsensical "day by the numbers" thing, but they certainly popularized it. They've backed off quite a bit from 2012, but they still use the Wizometer, much to my dismay.

What does the Wizometer measure anyway?

Its kind of an opinion based weather rating as to conditions in Metro Atlanta and runs from 1-11, 1 being a bad day weatherwise, 11 being a perfect "go out and do something" day.

When it first came out, I always thought it sounded like some kind of poor mans drug test.

Sounds like the "Norman Number" KHOU had during Gene Norman's tenure as Chief Met. Even though he was at WGCL, he must have brought the idea back with him from Atlanta.

Its kind of an opinion based weather rating as to conditions in Metro Atlanta and runs from 1-11, 1 being a bad day weatherwise, 11 being a perfect "go out and do something" day.

When it first came out, I always thought it sounded like some kind of poor mans drug test.

Sounds like the "Gaughan Gage" used by WJXT's John Gaughan... 1-10.

I'm wondering since it was the end of 2012 when the Hothaus package was rolling out in some Belos, that if Gannett didn't buy them out, they would've implemented the package across the group. From what you're telling me it looks like they did roll out some of the Miranda hardware to some of the stations. I would not be surprised that Belo knew that TIH would be forced upon them so the minute the deal was announced, they just halted the rollout.

Belo was beginning to hub out of Dallas. When the acquisition was announced, it was probably made clear that the combined company's graphics hub would be G3 out of Denver. That stopped (or slowed, since some stations took on the look) the rollout until Gannett took control.

As for the name of the gfx package, I always thought it was G3.0. That was posted on their facebook page after they went to the current look.

Belo was beginning to hub out of Dallas. When the acquisition was announced, it was probably made clear that the combined company's graphics hub would be G3 out of Denver. That stopped (or slowed, since some stations took on the look) the rollout until Gannett took control.

As for the name of the gfx package, I always thought it was G3.0. That was posted on their facebook page after they went to the current look.

It's actually named G3pO (as a pun on C3pO, human cyborg relations). I've talked to a G3 team member about it.

the logo looks tacky. The logo is in helvetica, but yet Houston and corporate plugin is in the lame DIN typeface.

People do not need to be constantly reminded of Gannett (on top of the already mentioned USAT graphics) - just remove the damn clutter, Deathstar!

And I guess the Gannett (Presto) sites cutsoff the newscast at :27 after the hr, so the last block of news + close now gets cutoff. Is the Belo site still stream the newscast - be a nice backdoor to watch the final block of news. File this under "Can Gannett Do Something Right?"

the logo looks tacky. The logo is in helvetica, but yet Houston and corporate plugin is in the lame DIN typeface.

People do not need to be constantly reminded of Gannett (on top of the already mentioned USAT graphics) - just remove the damn clutter, Deathstar!

And I guess the Gannett (Presto) sites cutsoff the newscast at :27 after the hr, so the last block of news + close now gets cutoff. Is the Belo site still stream the newscast - be a nice backdoor to watch the final block of news. File this under "Can Gannett Do Something Right?"

I know some of them cut the stream early because they don't have the rights to stream sports highlights. I think that's why the Gannett stations do that.

I know some of them cut the stream early because they don't have the rights to stream sports highlights. I think that's why the Gannett stations do that.

I've been watching KHOU (because IIRC, WFAA doesn't do a midday newscast - I could be wrong) at noon/1ET for me and they used to run the entire newscast when it was on the Belo.com host. I'm busy during the afternoon hours, so I can't see any of their stations during early prime. In the case of KHOU - the noon broadcast is just playing MP4 b-rolls, packages and weather. So I wouldn't think it would be a problem to not cut them off, but maybe its just a blanket policy they put on all of their station's Presto sites.

I've been watching KHOU (because IIRC, WFAA doesn't do a midday newscast - I could be wrong) at noon/1ET for me and they used to run the entire newscast when it was on the Belo.com host.

WFAA does have a midday newscast, an hourly noon show (The Chew airs on a 23-hour delay at 11am).

WFAA does have a midday newscast, an hourly noon show (The Chew airs on a 23-hour delay at 11am).

God, how can these stations get away with such preemptions? In 2014 of all ages?

This is one of the reasons since I consume lots of TV, where I'd rather live in an O&O market, not these sissy large affiliate markets.