TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

13 hours ago, ttvn2000 said:

It’s silly…just go back to “Channel 3 News.”

One notable thing is Sara Shookman’s sharp decline in having any sort of presence here. As recently as 2018, she was the main anchor and now has been relegated to 7pm - and gets pushed out by Christi Paul and Carmen Blackwell.

Sara Shookman is on maternity leave. The station even covered the birth of her second child. I don’t think anyone’s getting pushed out here.

Also, I don’t like WKYC’s format either, but it’s not like Dave Lougee and Tegna issued an edict that WKYC must change their newscasts. While Tegna management certainly encouraged this stuff, these moves were made entirely by local management.

• Like 4

On 8/30/2022 at 5:08 AM, TheRolyPoly said:

Why can't it just be 3 News at 5:00, just like its 6pm news?

You’re talking about a station that used to be a NBC O&O. The O&O glory days (before the TEGNAization) are on the backroads…

• Like 3

On 8/31/2022 at 8:26 AM, groupwfan said:

You’re talking about a station that used to be a NBC O&O. The O&O glory days (before the TEGNAization) are on the backroads…

I don't think there was ever a time when they were an O&O when they were a market force.  Most of the 60s when they were Westinghouse was more notable before WEWS found their footing.  It wasnt until the late 90s under Gannett when they finally began winning timeslots and cemented their place in the 2000s as WEWS was sinking in the ratings...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

WKYC's newfound dominance also came when WJW was starting to regain its footing after a period of struggle following the 1994 network switch.  WEWS would further sink after WOIO debuted its Action News format and became competitive.

Edited by CLETVFan
  • Sad 1

On 8/31/2022 at 8:04 AM, nycnewsjunkie said:

Sara Shookman is on maternity leave. The station even covered the birth of her second child. I don’t think anyone’s getting pushed out here.

Also, I don’t like WKYC’s format either, but it’s not like Dave Lougee and Tegna issued an edict that WKYC must change their newscasts. While Tegna management certainly encouraged this stuff, these moves were made entirely by local management.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/entertainment/television/programs/donovan-live/fresh-off-velosano-sara-shookman-joining-home-team/95-b8cc72b7-38f9-4aa5-bab7-f83f05541e17

Sara has left WKYC

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CLETVFan said:

Well, looks like I got that totally wrong then. In hindsight, they took her off the 6 even before maternity leave.

EDIT: And they didn’t hire Christi Paul for nothing either.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
  • Like 1

I tried watching some of the 4pm news yesterday and it was mostly fluff.  A piece on a pickle fest and some bit involving ice cream.  I couldn't get into it.

Yet, the 11pm news seems to be doing well.  A graphic at the end had it at number one.

• 1 month later...
47 minutes ago, EVVTV12 said:

News from Indianapolis: The WTHR Helipad is no more. Chopper 13 is said to have gone away around lockdown.

Why tear up a helipad even if it's dormant?! Knowing Tegna they'll just keep it a gravel pit because they can't afford to landscape it. 🙄

• Like 4

On 10/23/2022 at 8:51 PM, EVVTV12 said:

News from Indianapolis: The WTHR Helipad is no more. Chopper 13 is said to have gone away around lockdown. For those keeping track, all the Indy stations do not have a chopper.  

DB321B0C-E316-45C6-A515-63A0D8483A5C.jpeg

Looks like a metaphor for what TEGNA has done to WTHR (and WBNS for that matter) since taking over. The Dispatch stations are just SAD under TEGNA. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

They're like radars. Nice toy to have for marketing purposes, but not a necessity.

Eh, radars are actually useful in dead zones, the problem is the stations with money to get one aren’t in dead zones lol.

Also, in OKC and LA helicopters are clutch.

Edited by Briella
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Briella said:

Eh, radars are actually useful in dead zones, the problem is the stations with money to get one aren’t in dead zones lol.

Also, in OKC and LA helicopters are clutch.

When did OKC become such a hot spot for pursuits?? I’ve just noticed a ton of videos on YouTube from KOTV these last few months. 

Radars have some utility. Storm chasers have absolutely none in most markets. They don’t have the skill to actually use them as they’re intended… but they look nice in promos and parades!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, noggi said:

When did OKC become such a hot spot for pursuits?? I’ve just noticed a ton of videos on YouTube from KOTV these last few months. 

Radars have some utility. Storm chasers have absolutely none in most markets. They don’t have the skill to actually use them as they’re intended… but they look nice in promos and parades!

I was speaking more to helicopters during tornadoes but now that you mention it you’re right.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2022 at 2:59 PM, noggi said:

Storm chasing. OKC and Tulsa are hotbeds of storm chasing during tornado season. KWTV, KFOR, and KOCO all have their own helicopters...not sure about KOKH. In Tulsa, KOTV has a helicopter.

On a storm night, the network affiliates pre-empt programming for wall-to-wall storm coverage. They have pilots in the air and a team of storm chasers on the ground (with cameras in their trucks). The OKC affiliates will station storm chasers on the ground throughout the market, and will track the storm on the ground and in the air from the Texas border in the west to the edge of the OKC market in the east. In the case of KWTV and KOTV, they will often share storm chasers on a big night...there was a night last spring when there were storms on both sides of OKC, and the KWTV storm chasers were in the rural western portion of the market while a storm hit Seminole, east of OKC. KWTV chief meteorologist David Payne directed KWTV's helicopter pilot and the KOTV storm chasers to provide live video of the storm.

The pilots and some of the better known storm chasers have local sponsorships. They have become local celebrities.

It's entertainment, but more importantly, it's informational. Viewers depend on the local weather personnel to keep them safe, especially with the preponderance of storms in that area.

I recommend streaming KWTV on a storm night in the spring. As long as you're not in the storm, it's entertainment. David Payne is good TV on a storm night. This is KWTV's coverage from May 4. At about 1:03:00 of this video, he tells people to call "me-ma" to get to her safe spot. Shortly afterward, he calls on the Oklahoma Highway Patrol to shut down Interstate 40. Lots of local storm coverage gold on this night.

apologies for taking over the Tegna thread for non-Tegna stations...

Edited by johnintx
  • Thanks 1

On 12/5/2022 at 7:55 PM, johnintx said:

apologies for taking over the Tegna thread for non-Tegna stations...

KOCO was a Combined-Gannett station (5 Alive) until the trade to Hearst in 1997, so this wasn’t exactly derailing anything here.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PTVNews said:

I've heard rumors of spending and hiring freezes at some Tegna stations. Does anyone know if it's company wide and potentially related to the sale? If so, why?

The whole sale mess is certainly a unique issue for them, but there are hiring freezes across the industry and ownership groups.

On 12/9/2022 at 8:28 PM, 24994J said:

The whole sale mess is certainly a unique issue for them, but there are hiring freezes across the industry and ownership groups.

Ashlee Baracy is gone from WBNS. I wonder if this has anything to do with it.

But then again, her husband is a coach with the Baltimore Orioles. Could she be going to work for Sinclair after her non-compete is over?