TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

1 hour ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

I'm not so terribly sure, seeing that they tweaked the logo post-nexstar acquisition... why would they waste time and money doing so again?? 

The way they redesigned it, it would be easy to remove the "Local" branding.

1200px-WOI_Local_5_Tegna.svg.png

Edited by Mrtraveler01

58 minutes ago, Mrtraveler01 said:

The way they redesigned it, it would be easy to remove the "Local" branding.

1200px-WOI_Local_5_Tegna.svg.png

Wouldn't be too hard to do, especially if they reverted back to their old ABC 5 branding in the near future.

Here's a mock-up I made in under 30 minutes:

1735286334_WOIMockLogo.png.f4b7f22e3a867f57d8757d342421cb13.png

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, TennTV1983 said:

Wouldn't be too hard to do, especially if they reverted back to their old ABC 5 branding in the near future.

Here's a mock-up I made in under 30 minutes:

1735286334_WOIMockLogo.png.f4b7f22e3a867f57d8757d342421cb13.png

Given WATN is doing it, it wouldn't be that shocking to see WOI do the same tbh.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Jterry said:

WATN is already using new mic flags and using their new logo in a lot of their graphics during their wall-to-wall coverage of a shooting at an area Kroger. The overall L3s, etc have not been updated as yet tho

I've also noticed the flags have text in the corners that read "NEWS RIGHT NOW". Could be a hint about the news branding come Monday.

• Sad 1

Looks like the Tegna change train is coming to WZDX in Huntsville on Monday as well. Gone is the WZDX Fox Nexstar era branding and logo. The new look will bring a return to Fox 54 brand, complete with the same 5 from WOI. The weather team posted on social media saying the new brand and full Tegna look will occur on Monday, Sept. 27th. 

467756899_ScreenShot2021-09-25at8_47_04AM.png.8ce90ec453417826f1e0595b92e4838c.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Well, it looks like the two options for Tegna are the overlapping letters, and the WVEC / .

Hopefully WKYC is next, What i've seen thus far is promising after the a-bomb that went off there with the "elevator 3" branding.

Cleveland Scene magazine readers had voted WKYC as the best news operation (then again, Mike Polk, Jr. had been voted best comedian).

Yet, it's WJW Fox 8 that's tops in Cleveland.  WEWS seems to do better than WKYC too.

"3News" has become more unwatchable to me.  The focus on infotainment and questionable hirings is too distracting for me to sit through.  Plus, a lot of the recent hires in the last two years have not stayed long.

I would like see them return to "Channel 3," but that would likely take some changes in management.

22 minutes ago, CLETVFan said:

Cleveland Scene magazine readers had voted WKYC as the best news operation (then again, Mike Polk, Jr. had been voted best comedian).

Yet, it's WJW Fox 8 that's tops in Cleveland.  WEWS seems to do better than WKYC too.

"3News" has become more unwatchable to me.  The focus on infotainment and questionable hirings is too distracting for me to sit through.  Plus, a lot of the recent hires in the last two years have not stayed long.

I would like see them return to "Channel 3," but that would likely take some changes in management.

Hopefully any pending sale of Tegna will enact some sort of change in these stations.  Hopefully it's not just a financial one that looks only at the bottom line, but with Apollo being a suitor, it's a real possibility.

On 9/25/2021 at 7:50 AM, Working4You said:

Looks like the Tegna change train is coming to WZDX in Huntsville on Monday as well. Gone is the WZDX Fox Nexstar era branding and logo. The new look will bring a return to Fox 54 brand, complete with the same 5 from WOI. The weather team posted on social media saying the new brand and full Tegna look will occur on Monday, Sept. 27th. 

467756899_ScreenShot2021-09-25at8_47_04AM.png.8ce90ec453417826f1e0595b92e4838c.png

WOI and WZDX both use TEGNA's preferred sans serif in their branding: Proxima Nova!

On 9/25/2021 at 9:50 AM, Working4You said:

This is an upgrade in my book.

5 hours ago, CLETVFan said:

FTVLive is reporting some big changes involving the Saturday night 11pm newscast on WKYC.  It's changing from news to a show with a more comedic angle.

Wow. Just when we thought WKYC couldn't get any worse. Ridiculous. 😒

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tjt24 said:

Wow. Just when we thought WKYC couldn't get any worse. Ridiculous. 😒

There's plenty of other options in town for local news at 11 on a Saturday. Why do the same thing with the same stories as your competitors? Why not try something different as a lead in to a popular network comedy sketch show?

Local stations used to produce all kinds of programming... comedy, music, etc... why not go back to that? Why does a local station just have to purely be a news operation? If audiences and revenue are shrinking why is it such a bad idea to try something else?

Edited by noggi
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, noggi said:

There's plenty of other options in town for local news at 11 on a Saturday. Why do the same thing with the same stories as your competitors? Why not try something different as a lead in to a popular network comedy sketch show?

Local stations used to produce all kinds of programming... comedy, music, etc... why not go back to that? Why does a local station just have to purely be a news operation? If audiences and revenue are shrinking why is it such a bad idea to try something else?

IMO, the idea of trying something different isn't the issue. If anything, I'd gladly welcome experimentation. I feel like local stations can produce more than just news and lifestyle shows, and making different kinds of programming would at least help stem the loss of viewers to streaming at least somewhat.

That said, the implication I get from this new show is that it's basically gonna be a clone of The Daily Show; that is, a "comedic" retelling of current events while cracking a bunch of wheezy, stale political jokes done better elsewhere. That's not an experiment, that's just cheap and dumb.

At least, that's just my guess. If I'm wrong, feel free to tell me. Believe me, I'd be happy to hear it.

Edited by Adam MadMan
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, CLETVFan said:

FTVLive is reporting some big changes involving the Saturday night 11pm newscast on WKYC.  It's changing from news to a show with a more comedic angle.

That's a "y tho" from me. Once again WKYC drops the ball and it's pretty clear to see why they're struggling to compete with others with gimmicks like this. Tegna has murdered this station....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, noggi said:

I get what you're saying. I do. And I'm all for trying something new and hoping it sticks.

But I'll echo what @Adam MadMansaid. If this is something like what The Daily Show is, then it's just going to be a cheap gimmick. The only difference is that this show is airing on a local television station, not a show on a comedy network, where it would belong. 

• Like 1

Another brilliant move by the idiots running WKYC studios. 

Give away the lead in to Saturday Night Live to WOIO by making them the ONLY newscast available at the time!

(College football is on ABC and WEWS's 11pm show is often delayed because of it during the fall)

This makes the pilot of 20/20 seem like award winning journalism.  And that was a widely ridiculed bomb at the time.

Seriously, Channel 3's (I refuse to call them anything else at the moment) slogan needs to be  "Hold My Beer".

Edited by tyrannical bastard