TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

It's a variant name of the typeface used in Gannett's graphics, as well as Sinclair's new graphics package.

It was also used for NBC's Look C graphics.

Dinot is one of the variants that is available on a commercial scale.

I'm hearing that WCNC will debut the new website within the next two weeks. Gannett graphics will debut July 16th.

That's yet another Wednesday launch, like KING 5 & WWL. Glad they'd implemented the HD broadcast tonight, prior to Thursday's start of sweeps.

Normal close taken from tonight's 10pm newscast. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5fZ8Ly_-Z8 (I think the cut most of y'all prefer is used in the social media plug here)

On the first night of gfx debut, they'd used a short variant of this

for the 10pm close. I'm not sure if they use the close regularly on 10pm or they use their "normal close", like the other shows.

And when did WWL started to use the new Gannett tag at the end?

All of the BELO stations I have seen started using the Gannett tags on Dec 23 or 24, 2013. Day of the sale approval.

The day of the sale's approval was December 20. The sale's consummation was the 23rd.

I haven't seen WWL using the new tags until of what I saw on the vid last night. I knew KING 5/NWCN started using it immediately after, and some of the legacy (pre-Belo) Deathstar station, also went with the design. I'm not sure if you saw WWL's but this was the first time I've seen it on WWL, since the deal was closed six months ago.

It's very rare for WWL to air that tag directly after the newscast. It's usually dumped somewhere in the following commercial break, sometimes in the one before the final segment. But it's been there since day one of Gannett taking over.

I think the Belo tag jumped around too.

It's very rare for WWL to air that tag directly after the newscast. It's usually dumped somewhere in the following commercial break, sometimes in the one before the final segment. But it's been there since day one of Gannett taking over.

I think the Belo tag jumped around too.

For the 5pm newscast they play the tag before the final segment, as far as I know....and at the end of each of the rest of them.

Did WCNC get a new news set? Or am I seeing things?

They didn't, they've had this set since 2012. If you were watching the 11pm newscast, it could look different. They changed the format so they just stand in front of the TV screen, rather than sit at the desk. But still the same set.

WHAS 11 is next, starting tomorrow at noon. Gannett graphics and music, no word on website yet.

Bye-Bye Newschannel. :(

But they'll have much needed new graphics. So that would be a plus.

Plus since this is a Sander station, so it is safe to say that KGW will get it too.

.....ANNNDDD, since this is the third consecutive week that a Belo station have the new G3 gfx and WCNC will implement the new digs on the 16th, who's going to get it on the 9th?

Im actually looking forward to these debuting on KHOU. I've disliked the hothaus look since it debuted. The only thing I liked about the entire look was the weather graphics.

One of the big things that bothered me about the look was the OTS, live and secondary bug elements were set outside the SD safe zone. Not everyone has an HDTV nor does everyone pay Comcast for an HD box.

In my opinion they were a big downgrade from the package that debuted with "KHOU Stands for Houston" image campaign.

What's interesting is the Gannett package is very similar to KHOU's previous graphics

The current KHOU look is by Hothaus? I thought it was Giant Octopus, but upon closer inspection some of the lighting smacks of Hothaus work.

Despite what I said about liking the current Gannett look, I don't actually mind Hothaus or GO stuff that much and even like some of it; it's too bad Hothaus got saddled with KHOU's ultra-tacky logo. Hoping that'll change (though, oddly, it smacks of updated 1980-90s Gannett sensibilities, as per the looks of WXIA, KARE, and KUSA)