TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

• 2 weeks later...

:ack:

I'm sure any new package will be created by the WFAA guys. I mean, the Belo package was, and Gannett didn't have a good graphics design team until now.

And I'm saying that G3.0 still isn't wonderful. They've created 1, and have modified 2 mediocre graphics packages.

I wanted BELO Graphics Group to take over, but NO. G3 just hired more graphics staff and are doing a large office renovation at KUSA, for what I presume is expanded offices for G3. Too bad, too. :/

I totally disagree on G3.0 still not being great. I think the look is excellent, and well-constructed. If you go to the Gannett Graphics Group facebook page, you'll see what can be done with this look - which is almost anything. (Even though they haven't updated since July.) G3.0 is just a really solid design that takes UX and web design grid principles into account.

I can see it certainly being upgraded, since Belo was rolling out Miranda gfx hardware to their stations, and I think some of the Gannetts are running on Dekos still. But they have a solid base to work on.

I totally disagree on G3.0 still not being great. I think the look is excellent, and well-constructed. If you go to the Gannett Graphics Group facebook page, you'll see what can be done with this look - which is almost anything. (Even though they haven't updated since July.) G3.0 is just a really solid design that takes UX and web design grid principles into account.

I can see it certainly being upgraded, since Belo was rolling out Miranda gfx hardware to their stations, and I think some of the Gannetts are running on Dekos still. But they have a solid base to work on.

The exact reason I dislike this package. They are not designing a website, they are designing a look for broadcast. I think they forgot that when they were designing this.

• 2 weeks later...

Next Monday my ass. http://www.9news.com/

Damn, that was quick. The article was posted yesterday morning. I heard "Monday" in the video and I was like,"OK, maybe next Monday." Maybe yesterday WAS the day. Oops! Now we wait on WXIA and KPNX/AZCentral...

EDIT (3/6): I forgot about WTSP! No word on them.

Of course, they still have to give the ex-Belo stations the makeover as well, I would think that would come after the last of their legacy stations are done?

My station, formerly Belo, launches the Gannett site around August.

So, WCNC actually gets something before the rest of the ex-Belo stations? That I did not see coming. Perhaps, given how it's closely related to NBC News (literally, in this case), Gannett's paying attention to them due to their large number of NBC affils?

From red-headed step-child to beloved son.

Only if they're at the top of the list of Belo stations to get the new Gannett sites. If they're not getting a new site till August, though...

Is that WCNC?

So, WCNC actually gets something before the rest of the ex-Belo stations? That I did not see coming. Perhaps, given how it's closely related to NBC News (literally, in this case), Gannett's paying attention to them due to their large number of NBC affils?

As a side question why is it that NBC decided to locate NBC Newschannel at WCNC?

As a side question why is it that NBC decided to locate NBC Newschannel at WCNC?

I'm not quite sure. For a time in the 90s the Charlotte site housed more than News Channel: it was the base for the NBC Nightside overnight news program as well as for the Canal de Noticias NBC Spanish-language news channel. Here are some possibilities:

"...Old hands at NBC News have ridiculed NBC News Channel, saying it is a low-rent operation that lets the network claim it's expanding news while it's really cutting costs to offset drops in advertising revenue. They point out that North Carolina is a right-to-work state. ..." in an article on the launch of Nightside in 1991

"'We were better off getting out of New York and creating our own identity,' said Bob Horner, a former CBS News bureau chief who's in charge of what he describes as 'a video wire service.'

Real estate costs, climate and access to a major airport also played a role.

'Charlotte is a thriving city with a good business climate,' he said. 'It's also blessed with strong local media.'"

I'm not quite sure. For a time in the 90s the Charlotte site housed more than News Channel: it was the base for the NBC Nightside overnight news program as well as for the Canal de Noticias NBC Spanish-language news channel.

According to an LA Times Night Side was in Charlotte because of access to an airport that allowed correspondents and tape to come in person via US Airways and earlier satellite access to European news (Really?) and that it was cheaper than producing it in New York.

http://articles.latimes.com/1991-11-04/entertainment/ca-780_1_overnight-news

Thinking about it I wonder if it was chosen to be located there because it is a service for the affiliates where either they voted for Charlotte or one of the affiliate board at the time chose to base it at his station.