TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

I'm not a fan. It's very cluttered!

Update: Has anyone looked at the LIN sites? They are what I want to see at Gannett! The sites are very clean, not cluttered, the menuing system in very nice (especially the no-scroll function) and I also love how they have a unique station background and that it stays in place!

Examples:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

wow...it looks like a MS Window's Metro UI. Who normally does the website design for stations? Is it in house or outsourced? Either way they aren't focused on the user experience at all.

They're likely done internally at Gannett, but are based on the USA Today site design by fantasy interactive (f-i.com). It actually has some really nice insights, like the fact that most users never access a news site directly from the home page or the section page.

I get a lot of the hate towards Windows 8, but the Metro UI isn't one of my problems with it. It's a great UI - for touch devices. Microsoft welding it to the PC version and forcing everyone to essentially use two OSes at one time is the issue. (And honestly, once you install one of the third party start menus, it's actually a decent OS.)

• 1 month later...

I wonder when the first ex-Belo station will get redesigned? Also when they will get the new graphics?

For the websites, considering heritage Gannett is in the middle of a transformation, I would assume that the changes would be rather soon for the Belo ones.

Here's an article from the Gannett Blog pertaining to the rollout of the new website design. The local newspapers are getting this design as well. http://gannettblog.blogspot.com/2014/01/digital-badly-misses-year-end-site-app.html

I wonder when the first ex-Belo station will get redesigned? Also when they will get the new graphics?

If I see somebody ask this one more time... :bang:

Curiously, KUSA hasn't switched.

It seems like KUSA is always the last to get everything. Gannett seems to like trying new graphics/websites out on the podunk stations and sorting out all the bugs before it makes it back to the flagship.

When will tribune roll out its look (graphical, website) to local tv?

Website? I don't know...maybe never, considering how poorly-received it has been.

As for graphics, Tribune doesn't have a station-wide package, and there really isn't anything saying there will be. I will say, considering the LocalTV pick-ups, and the fact that many of Trib's flagships are due for a refresh (WGN has used a version of their current package since 2008, KTLA's has been in place since 2009, and WPIX has such lousy graphics, that just about anything else would be a welcomed change), if the company was to roll out a group look, this would be the time frame to do it.

Now back on topic...

Website? I don't know...maybe never, considering how poorly-received it has been.

As for graphics, Tribune doesn't have a station-wide package, and there really isn't anything saying there will be. I will say, considering the LocalTV pick-ups, and the fact that many of Trib's flagships are due for a refresh (WGN has used a version of their current package since 2008, KTLA's has been in place since 2009, and WPIX has such lousy graphics, that just about anything else would be a welcomed change), if the company was to roll out a group look, this would be the time frame to do it.

Now back on topic...

They have a FOX graphics package that they plan to implement group wide, but that's about it. They could be working on a graphics package to be used on their CW stations, which would explain why some of these stations have yet to get new graphics.

They have a FOX graphics package that they plan to implement group wide, but that's about it. They could be working on a graphics package to be used on their CW stations, which would explain why some of these stations have yet to get new graphics.

Good point, I forgot about the Fox graphics.

Here's an article from the Gannett Blog pertaining to the rollout of the new website design. The local newspapers are getting this design as well. http://gannettblog.blogspot.com/2014/01/digital-badly-misses-year-end-site-app.html

If I see somebody ask this one more time... :bang:

So I wonder if this means that AZCentral.com is going to get this redesign as well. They've been kind of independent from the other Gannett websites since it's the website for both the Arizona Republic and KPNX, but if this is including newspaper and tv websites, that's leading me to think that AZCentral is going this way too.

Which is a shame because I like AZcentral as it is now and still can't get used to the new Gannett websites.

Don't think Fox graphics are going to fly at WCNC, with WJZY now a Fox O&O. Unless these are a different type of Fox graphics.

Don't think Fox graphics are going to fly at WCNC, with WJZY now a Fox O&O. Unless these are a different type of Fox graphics.

1. We were briefly talking about the Tribune stations.

2. Trib's Fox graphics are not the O&O look, but their own product.

3. Tribune wouldn't give a Fox package to non-Fox stations.

It's going to take some time to get the Belo stations aligned with the legacy Gannett stuff. I'm probably the only one saying this, but I think the Gannett websites and on-air look are great and I'd like those to get to the Belo stations, but we'll see. They'll probably do what Scripps did, and create a brand new package for legacy Gannett and ex-Belo stations.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like the current site LocalTV Wordpress template, but it isn't responsive design. Ideally, they should upgrade that template to be responsive, and let it be.

As for the Tribune Fox affiliate graphics package, that is so badly needed for the LocalTV Fox affils, it isn't funny. I remember that Tribune allowed other non-Tribune Fox stations rights to their previous package (KBTV/Beaumont and WAWS/Jacksonville come to mind) mainly because it was almost a knockoff of the Fox O&O V.1 graphics package. This one, however, is totally proprietary.