TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

Some changes at WHAS. They've killed their morning brand of "Wake Up" and reverted to "Good Morning Kentuckiana" which is what they were for like 30 years before changing in 2019. They've also returned to two anchor newscasts at 4 and 5:30 pm, something else that was abandoned several years ago. The updated open has also been rolled out.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 7/2/2022 at 11:11 PM, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

Has anyone else noticed that TEGNA websites now conform to the dark theme if it is enabled?? 

I haven't seen that.  The two here in Colorado don't have that. (9NEWS.COM & MY20DENVER.COM)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

WKYC has announced who is anchoring the news between 4pm and 6:30pm starting next month:

4pm - Jay Crawford and Betsy Kling

5pm - Christi Paul and Carmen Blackwell

6pm - Russ Mitchell and Laura Caso

https://www.wkyc.com/article/entertainment/television/programs/wkyc-studios-expand-early-evening-news-programming-4-pm-starting-september-12/95-4fc83e71-afac-47c7-90f0-10a82b9bd920

52 minutes ago, CLETVFan said:

WKYC has announced who is anchoring the news between 4pm and 6:30pm starting next month:

4pm - Jay Crawford and Betsy Kling

5pm - Christi Paul and Carmen Blackwell

6pm - Russ Mitchell and Laura Caso

https://www.wkyc.com/article/entertainment/television/programs/wkyc-studios-expand-early-evening-news-programming-4-pm-starting-september-12/95-4fc83e71-afac-47c7-90f0-10a82b9bd920

I don't have a problem with them moving Jay and Betsy up an hour to 4pm. They're a really good team, and they'd be foolish to break them up. Still think the names of the newscasts are stupid. 3News at 4 & 5 are completely axceptable. But again, this is WKYC we're talking about lol. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, tjt24 said:

I don't have a problem with them moving Jay and Betsy up an hour to 4pm. They're a really good team, and they'd be foolish to break them up. Still think the names of the newscasts are stupid. 3News at 4 & 5 are completely axceptable. But again, this is WKYC we're talking about lol. 

It’s silly…just go back to “Channel 3 News.”

One notable thing is Sara Shookman’s sharp decline in having any sort of presence here. As recently as 2018, she was the main anchor and now has been relegated to 7pm - and gets pushed out by Christi Paul and Carmen Blackwell.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, CLETVFan said:

Sara was started to be pushed out back when Laura arrived as the 6pm co-anchor.

And they just keep pushing her out…. As WKYC has expanded its hours of news, her duties have dwindled.  Clearly management isn’t a fan.

1 hour ago, ttvn2000 said:

One notable thing is Sara Shookman’s sharp decline in having any sort of presence here. As recently as 2018, she was the main anchor and now has been relegated to 7pm - and gets pushed out by Christi Paul and Carmen Blackwell.

It's so simple that it's ridiculous. You have the talent to get out of the ratings basement. It's just little things they can change to make the product better. 

And I really think they're pushing Sara Shookman out. I thought she did the 11pm too, but maybe Laura Caso does it now? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ttvn2000 said:

It's tegna over tegna-ing. Giving every show a brand eventually disconnects the station from it. You can't expect viewers to remember unique names for multiple different times.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, MidwestTV said:

It's tegna over tegna-ing. Giving every show a brand eventually disconnects the station from it. You can't expect viewers to remember unique names for multiple different times.

Tell that to the networks/cable....

I think having different names, so long as the content and presentation is different, is a good thing. It shows differentiation and gives viewers a chance to latch on to a show that they like. If everything is just "x news"....then most people will think, seen it once, seen them all. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, PTVNews said:

Tell that to the networks/cable....

I think having different names, so long as the content and presentation is different, is a good thing. It shows differentiation and gives viewers a chance to latch on to a show that they like. If everything is just "x news"....then most people will think, seen it once, seen them all. 

I’m not sure that’s what’s happening here though.  We will have to see if “What’s Now” has a different vibe than “What’s New.”

The 6pm show and “Front Row” at 7 are different from one another.  But having so

many “What’s” names doesn’t really differentiate these newscasts.

I’d almost rather have something like “Friends at Four (or Five)” - like sister station WLTX… 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1