TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

Wow. Comparing this to the current sites azcentral.com (Arizona Republic + KPNX) would have a very hard time switching to this layout. It's Gannett's only newspaper-TV duopoly IIRC.

In Fort Collins. Colorado Gannett owns the Coloradoan which falls under the same market as KUSA.

Personally it ok for USA Today web layout to look like that, but for Gannett they should have at least (2/3) different layouts for their station region by region. However when they fully takeover Belo Stations {which btw has one of the best web layouts in any tv group} just can't image WFAA- Belo flagship station website looking dull and boring.

Personally it ok for USA Today web layout to look like that, but for Gannett they should have at least (2/3) different layouts for their station region by region. However when they fully takeover Belo Stations {which btw has one of the best web layouts in any tv group} just can't image WFAA- Belo flagship station website looking dull and boring.

Well here in Dallas, we're going to have to get used to the change on WFAA website in the near future, because once the FCC approves the merger and deal finalized... expect the change.

Well here in Dallas, we're going to have to get used to the change on WFAA website in the near future, because once the FCC approves the merger and deal finalized... expect the change.

this would actually be an improvement over what WFAA and the rest of the Belo stations have right now. This looks clean, the Belo sites I never really got used to, they're just too cluttered IMO.

I don't like the site. It's a cluttered mess. They have overwhelmed this new site with too many photos. I don't like the blue box to the left and the dark gray 'Right Now' column to the right is nice, but A. Needs to be lighter and B. Needs a fine separation from the main column.

I think that Gannett could have modified the menu of the current site to do the exact same thing! The current design is cleaner.

HOW WILL WE KNOW WHAT COMPANY OWNS THEM???

:rofl!: :rofl!: :rofl!:

Do an average Joe Schmo really care who owns them?

Let's just say it's owned by some sort of Deathstar that no longer exist.

Anyways they'll probably bring that tag within other pages on the site. But I first say that same design when I link Rochester's Democrat & Chronicle article about WHAM taking over WUHF ops over a week ago. That's when I saw WBIR test design, that was the same one, plus what USA Today is using. Yeah that's a lovely way to be original Gannett. I'm hoping that their live streaming software be like the current Gannett TV sites. But I was hoping the Belo sites be more like Gannett's current TV sites.

And anyways, I still think we're going to have to wait until anything would probably come from both DOJ & the FCC. Because if we don't hear anything prior to the Holidays, i'm speculating this thing will go in past the start of 2014 before we hear anything from them. And the MG & Tribune deals might see the greenlight before Gannett does, despite all three having denial petitions.

WTF? Didn't Gannett just launch a new website design in 2011? Gannett must have a lot of money lying around to go redesign websites this often.

Is it really that expensive, since they merely adapted another website, already in use?

And that is a question, wouldn't it be not as expensive?

WTF? Didn't Gannett just launch a new website design in 2011? Gannett must have a lot of money lying around to go redesign websites this often.

Is it really that expensive, since they merely adapted another website, already in use?

And that is a question, wouldn't it be not as expensive?

Not really considering all of Gannett's websites and CMS are done in-house.

Ugh, why do station groups keep insisting that their websites look like something I would view on an Ipad?

I mean it's not as bad as the CBS Local websites, but I don't see how designing websites like this is user friendly?

because most view it on an ipad now...

although I agree with your point. But this is so much better than the CBS Local sites or that dreaded Fox & Friends site that looks like someone loves Windows 8 too much...

the Gannett sites also needed an update after the new graphics were adopted, as the current sites have elements of the old graphics package (mainly the breaking news banner)

Ugh, why do station groups keep insisting that their websites look like something I would view on an Ipad?

I mean it's not as bad as the CBS Local websites, but I don't see how designing websites like this is user friendly?

Because websites in 2013 should look like something you would view on an iPad.

You can't design a website strictly for traditional computers anymore. You have to consider different sorts of screen sizes and devices. That's because people aren't just viewing sites on their PCs - they're viewing it on their tablets, their smartphones, their TVs. I myself use my iPad and/or Nexus 7 to browse the Internet most of the time.

It's called responsive web design and there's a couple of good articles about it. I'd start with this really well done Wikipedia article, then I'd read the landmark piece by Ethan Marcotte that introduced the technique. From there, you can just google "responsive web design". It's not just a good idea anymore - it's actually recommended best practice, and it's really kind of tricky to do before you get the hang of it.

On that note... the USA Today site was and is a tremendously well designed site, and it makes all the sense in the world to duplicate that on the TV station side - especially since they've adopted the color scheme. It's actually really technically advanced - they use flexbox, a brand new CSS layout technique that's just started to gain major support across web browsers. There are parts of the old design that I like better - I'm not a fan of the really big picture slider thing - but this isn't bad at all.

I like what Gannett is doing design-wise, both across TV and on the internet. They've really stepped it up on the design front, both on air and online, and I have to give them credit for it.

Because websites in 2013 should look like something you would view on an iPad.

You can't design a website strictly for traditional computers anymore. You have to consider different sorts of screen sizes and devices. That's because people aren't just viewing sites on their PCs - they're viewing it on their tablets, their smartphones, their TVs. I myself use my iPad and/or Nexus 7 to browse the Internet most of the time.

It's called responsive web design and there's a couple of good articles about it. I'd start with this really well done Wikipedia article, then I'd read the landmark piece by Ethan Marcotte that introduced the technique. From there, you can just google "responsive web design". It's not just a good idea anymore - it's actually recommended best practice, and it's really kind of tricky to do before you get the hang of it.

On that note... the USA Today site was and is a tremendously well designed site, and it makes all the sense in the world to duplicate that on the TV station side - especially since they've adopted the color scheme. It's actually really technically advanced - they use flexbox, a brand new CSS layout technique that's just started to gain major support across web browsers. There are parts of the old design that I like better - I'm not a fan of the really big picture slider thing - but this isn't bad at all.

I like what Gannett is doing design-wise, both across TV and on the internet. They've really stepped it up on the design front, both on air and online, and I have to give them credit for it.

I think it's a layout that I ultimately have to get used to. But in terms of design, it's worlds better than the CBS O&O ones.