TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

Damn! 11 discrimination complaints at WKYC alone? And 9 at WTSP? What is up there and how is management still there? Also ... I definitely don’t think we should identify these folks ... but regulars on this board can probably figure out at least some of the people they talked to. There were 2 I figured out based upon circumstances that were previously published. 

Edited by Greggo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Greggo said:

Damn! 11 discrimination complaints at WKYC alone? And 9 at WTSP? 

If that is not bad enough, there are also 5 discrimination complaints at WTLV in Jacksonville, and 3 at KTHV in Little Rock, too.....

Edited by J1975am
  • Like 1

On 4/30/2021 at 9:56 PM, Yankees4life said:

This is gonna be interesting 

What's going to be really interesting is how Tegna itself reacts to this. By Kim making this move that just opened up a can of worms for both sides. We'll just have to see what happens with this one.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dman748 said:

What's going to be really interesting is how Tegna itself reacts to this. By Kim making this move that just opened up a can of worms for both sides. We'll just have to see what happens with this one.

Probably not going to be all that interesting. I know it's fun to rip on TEGNA, and they deserve it for any number of things, but seriously if you open the books on ANY broadcast company, you'll find these exact same problems. I also know we like to imagine that the mom-and-pop-owned Dispatch stations were a haven before TEGNA, but this behavior didn't happen overnight once new ownership came on board. Every single local station I ever worked for had issues like these.

You can trace back a lot of those discrimination complaints, like at WTSP for example, to the Joel Cheetwood-era of getting local management to fire all of their expensive legacy talent for much, much cheaper younger talent.  

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, noggi said:

if you open the books on ANY broadcast company, you'll find these exact same problems. I also know we like to imagine that the mom-and-pop-owned Dispatch stations were a haven before TEGNA, but this behavior didn't happen overnight once new ownership came on board. Every single local station I ever worked for had issues like these.

You can trace back a lot of those discrimination complaints, like at WTSP for example, to the Joel Cheetwood-era of getting local management to fire all of their expensive legacy talent for much, much cheaper younger talent.  

It's definitely true, it's definitely common unfortunately across the industry which is a shame and I'm glad to see that get exposed.

As far as WTSP is concerned you might even be able to trace this back to 1989 when they had the Spy Scandal.

I firmly believe along with everyone else that Tegna is in trouble, we just don't know how deep in trouble they're in and we'll ultimately know more once the investigation gets completed. However, the reason why I say it'll be interesting is because Tegna has proven (when you look at the statement Soo Kim made) that Tegna hasn't been willing to give them much effort into doing their independent investigation into the matter and in fact all Tegna did was made Standard General sign the NDA, Kim refused to do so and they decided to hire Quest Research and Investigations to launch this investigation. 

The more I've read into that report the more I believe that because Tegna doesn't want to change what they've been doing to its stations for the past several years, Kim and Standard General sees flaws and things that Tegna isn't seeing that they think its doing fine at and I firmly believe that Kim and Standard General is using the CBS controversies as a tool to break Tegna up. I believe they have an agenda more so than just generating noise to get board represenation even though I do believe that those 2 factors are the reason why we're seeing those things come out on Tegna and Kim's agenda is to destroy Tegna by breaking up the company and sending its stations to individual groups because I clearly think that Kim just simply can't get a piece of Tegna by just getting board representation, he tried that last year and it failed so that's why he's resorting to allowing the CBS controversies to happen so that he can use that to his advantage by doing what he is doing and the absolute bottom line is.. Standard General has an agenda and they do not give a hoot about what Tegna thinks.

This is why I think it'll be interesting to see what Tegna has to say about Kim calling Quest Research and Investigations to launch an independent investigation into Tegna itself.

https://www.questinvestigates.com/ that's the link to QRI for those who are wondering who they are.

Edited by dman748

3 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

So much for a proxy fight.

The shareholders of Tegna have re-elected all twelve of its existing board members.

Well, I guess it's their prerogative to run Tegna as status quo for the time being.

Now if the company gets into financial trouble somehow and the shareholders and creditors revolt, then that's a different story.

Maybe if Standard General coughs up "moral objective"...cough cough enough money to make them an offer they can't refuse.....clearly it wasn't enough to do the trick this time around.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Unfortunately the Local 24 news days are over. 

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Big changes are coming to Local 24 and Local Memphis starting on Sept. 27, 2021. WATN-TV will rebrand to "ABC24 Memphis" to better connect with Memphis viewers. 

WATN-TV became "Local 24" on air and "Local Memphis" online after it was acquired by Nexstar Broadcasting in July of 2012. In September of 2019, TEGNA purchased WATN from Nexstar and initiated a rebranding study shortly after. The ABC24 branding will come with new logos, a new web address, and new page name on Facebook, "ABC24 Memphis". 

"ABC24 is already how the Memphis community identifies with WATN," said Sam Carolan, Director of Digital Content for TEGNA Memphis Broadcasting, "It's instantly recognizable to our audience. The new brand also makes a direct connection between WATN's on-air and online presence.  "

You can visit the new website here on September 27: www.abc24.com

b12fa035-e4fd-4a94-8229-22b62101ecae_1920x1080.png

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, NewsGuyTV said:

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Big changes are coming to Local 24 and Local Memphis starting on Sept. 27, 2021. WATN-TV will rebrand to "ABC24 Memphis" to better connect with Memphis viewers. 

WATN-TV became "Local 24" on air and "Local Memphis" online after it was acquired by Nexstar Broadcasting in July of 2012. In September of 2019, TEGNA purchased WATN from Nexstar and initiated a rebranding study shortly after. The ABC24 branding will come with new logos, a new web address, and new page name on Facebook, "ABC24 Memphis". 

"ABC24 is already how the Memphis community identifies with WATN," said Sam Carolan, Director of Digital Content for TEGNA Memphis Broadcasting, "It's instantly recognizable to our audience. The new brand also makes a direct connection between WATN's on-air and online presence.  "

I see. So, they're going with a WVEC-esque look now.

Link to the story: https://www.localmemphis.com/article/about-us/local-memphis-and-local-24-becoming-abc24-on-september-27/522-1dd5ae03-80cb-47d4-8227-c123a5e42cd5?utm_medium=social&utm_source=undefined_janiceTVnews

Edited by TennTV1983
Added link
  • Sad 1

56 minutes ago, NewsGuyTV said:

Imagine TalkBack 16 if they did this to WNEP.  LOL

-- Matt

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

I knew Tegna was going to drop the "Local" branding.

But do the logo needs to look like WVEC with that slant on the end?.....

It's parallel to the left edge of the '4', which means it'll be used for the dynamic/moving part of the branding.

• Like 2

BTW, The station was ABC24 back when then WPTY became the new ABC affiliate on December 1, 1995. And since late '95, 'PTY was NewsWatch 24 (95-97), ABC24 News (Twice), and ABC24 Eyewitness News (IMO, they need to bring the EWN name back). The new logo and some changes are an important improvement for WATN to climb out of the ratings hole... maybe.

Edited by TexasTVNews
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, TennTV1983 said:

Only a matter of time before the same thing happens with WOI.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Considering this station's tortured history under Clear Channel/Newport, and Nexstar "copying and pasting" the WKRC branding AND graphics package (despite the fact they went to Sinclair in the Newport breakup),  I actually like it.  The ABC 24 they had before they became WATN was an abomination, along with how the station was run before then.

Will it bring them out of last place? Probably not, but at least it stands out from the other stations in the market, at least logo-wise. 

WREG's (NewsChannel 3) logo is blah, WMC's logo is pushing 25 years (even with the recent updates) and itself is still in the vein of the WSB knock-off as it is.  And WHBQ may as well still be a FOX O&O (logo-wise with their WTVT "13") despite all of the sweat equity that Cox has put into the place.  Certainly doing a lot better than their other trade up north!

And at least the Nexstar website at the time wasn't a bad one (localmemphis.com).  It could have been something more awful like MemphisProud.com or WeAreBluffCity.com.  Thankfully Nexstar stopped this by the time they traded up to WREG.

Edited by tyrannical bastard