TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

11 minutes ago, Nelson R. said:

It will likely replace Court TV on WCNC, as it is the only WCNC diginet not owned by Tegna, unless they add a .5.

Upon review of Charlotte's spectrum, WCNC will probably have to add 36.5 as there's limited bandwidth, and no presence by Scripps.

• 2 weeks later...

Tegna starting a Master Control hub in Charlotte at WCNC--I wonder what stations they will be running out of there?  And does this mean that NBC News Channel is no longer at WCNC?

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/supervisor-broadcast-hub-operations-at-tegna-2433082877

As it stands now Tegna has 2 hubs going, Jacksonville, FL at (WTLV/WJXX) for NBC, ABC & My Network TV stations & (WLTX) in Greensboro SC for CBS, CW, & FOX Stations.  

• Like 1

On 3/6/2021 at 1:04 AM, DENDude said:

Tegna starting a Master Control hub in Charlotte at WCNC--I wonder what stations they will be running out of there?  And does this mean that NBC News Channel is no longer at WCNC?

NBC News Channel and WCNC are in completely separate buildings. They are neighbors, but the buildings are not connected except for a wiring conduit. 

• Like 1

BeckTV Builds Tegna ‘Hub-and-Spoke’ Master Control Facility

BeckTV, a systems integrator for the broadcast media industry, has completed a project for one of its major U.S. clients — station group Tegna Inc. Tegna had BeckTV design, instal, and integrate all systems for Tegna’s centralized new master control operation, the Tegna Stream Center, based on a cloud-based hub-and-spoke approach that will serve all Tegna stations.

One of the largest local television station groups in the U.S., Tegna owns 64 television stations in 51 markets. Upon completion, Tegna’s new master control hub in Charlotte, N.C., will support more than 225 channels across the country, with more than 50 spoke-racks deployed at distributed locations. More than 500 originating multicast streams traverse a private LAN to facilitate monitoring and operation of all stations.

There are multiple Tegna stations that have been running out of the Charlotte hub for a while now. I don't when it opened but I don't think it's new within the past few months. There were plans for additional stations to switch over to it a year ago but they got delayed and didn't switch until recently because of COVID. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm probably a little late to the party compared to you guys, but I just cut the cable and got myself a Roku box. I was like the proverbial frog in boiling water. What finally prompted me to cut the cord was a $175 bill that included $22 for the local channels (medium package, not many extras and no DVR).

The amount of free advertiser supported content out there you can access through the Roku box is simply amazing. Between Pluto, the Roku Channel, Peacock, and all the rest, there is a ton of content out there.

My point being, the Wolfe family was correct in selling out to Tegna. I don't see how a small time operation can compete in this world. With crappy programming and people like me cutting the cord I don't see much of a future for local TV either.

Edited by DirtyHarry

36 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Ouch!  Especially why they claim to be using their current music and purple in their graphics.

Ouch might be an understatment. Once TVNewsCheck, B&C and everyone else starts picking up on the story. Watch out.

1 hour ago, dman748 said:

Ouch might be an understatment. Once TVNewsCheck, B&C and everyone else starts picking up on the story. Watch out.

NAHJ, in a recent message to members, claimed Tegna was digging in and supporting the management team at KUSA. This came after a recent meeting. Tegna can’t seriously continue to do that. The more that comes out, the more it appears the KUSA GM and ND, at a minimum, need to go. This is causing serious damage to the entire chain’s credibility and alleged commitment to diversity. 

Let me add one more thing here: It appears that Tegna needs to take a hard look at who it is & isn't hiring, I believe things could get nasty for them quickly if they don't get out ahead of it and make a few adjustments.

4 hours ago, dman748 said:

B&C is already covering it.

5 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Ouch!  Especially why they claim to be using their current music and purple in their graphics.

Here's the original story about that specific incident. There's no words.

Edited by CircleSeven

10 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

B&C is covering it.

I figured that B&C would cover it, I also notice the Hill is covering it too. So yeah, I have a feeling that given the scope of it we might consider needing to split it into its own thread.

The more I look into this, the more I see it as a very bad look on Tegna. We'll probably be talking about this for quite awhile.

The elephant in the room in the Tegna/racism situation is Standard General's ongoing proxy fight. It behooves them to depress Tegna's stock price and make it more vulnerable for acquisition. Fearful stakeholders may be more receptive to Standard's offer as the situation escalates.

Edited by newsbot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

"Lougee mistook Hoffman for a valet, deeply offending Hoffman."

So what? Everyone's not a mystic. Maybe he wasn't dressed like an executive or didn't comport himself in a way that was executive like. Maybe he doesn't speak in a way that would convey that to someone.

Or when we're dealing with the cashier at Walmart do we have to now assume that we are dealing with the CEO just so that we don't offend anybody? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, newsbot said:

The elephant in the room in the Tegna/racism situation is Standard General's ongoing proxy fight. It behooves them to depress Tegna's stock price and make it more vulnerable for acquisition. Fearful stakeholders may be more receptive to Standard's offer as the situation escalates.

And that's a huge difference between it and the CBS scandal. Yes the problems are similar but CBS didn't have the pressure from a Soo Kim-like investor to say/do something about that Tegna has.

I think some of the shareholders who voted Tegna last year might be inclined to vote for Standard General this time around.

• Like 1

If all of the "Tegna-fication" is rooted in these allegations, then they certainly need to be undone. 

And if this damaged the company's value, then there needs to be a change of ownership. 

Get new people in there who not only can run the business effectively, as well as re-tooling the product back to it's core audience without patronizing to a particular group. 

A lot of us here can't stand the Tegna approach to local news, but these comments put a new stain on it that's deeply offensive to what could be their core audience in many places.   It works in places where the product is halfway decent, but it's also trashed good stations and made bad stations worse.

• Like 7

Another thing to keep in mind too is this:

In the event that the Company does not respond to this Demand or fails to permit inspection and copying of the demanded documents within five (5) business days from the date of this letter, we will seek appropriate relief to the fullest extent permitted by law.

Basically if I'm reading it right and I've been trying to Google this up to do my homework on the part in which is bolded basically Standard General can take Tegna to court for failure to supply the documents if that's what I'm understanding it correctly.

1 hour ago, Yankees4life said:

Oh boy, this could get ugly. It looks like Kim is blowing the whistle tho due to not getting his way. It's a little grimy but heads gotta roll somehow either way 🤷‍♂️

Not because he didn't get his way, but because the company isn't run effectively.

• Confused 1

On 4/11/2021 at 2:25 AM, TheRyan said:

At this point in time, I think it's safe for me to say that Mr. Kim is declaring an all-out war on Tegna leadership.

Then he needs to also declare it on Tegna employees who get to vote for board members.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...