TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

1 hour ago, bmasters1 said:

What's this I hear about TBN wanting to buy Tegna and replace the existing newscasts on those stations with hard-right religious shows? Did you hear about that?

https://www.nexttv.com/blog/beware-of-religious-bias-in-media-consolidation

This was back in April when there were rumors about that.

I'm not sure what's happened to them since then but I haven't heard anything new in terms of who's offering Tegna and who isn't unless I've missed something since then.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dman748 said:

This was back in April when there were rumors about that.

I'm not sure what's happened to them since then but I haven't heard anything new in terms of who's offering Tegna and who isn't unless I've missed something since then.

Thanks very much for the clarification on that! I heard it on Twitter as a new post, and I assumed it was in the works now; I'm glad to hear that this was from several months ago.

9 hours ago, bmasters1 said:

Thanks very much for the clarification on that! I heard it on Twitter as a new post, and I assumed it was in the works now; I'm glad to hear that this was from several months ago.

That was when they were desperate to run away from Soo Kim in what was seen as a hostile takeover.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

That was when they were desperate to run away from Soo Kim in what was seen as a hostile takeover.

And that he's quietly moved on with the purchase of KBSI/WDKA from Sinclair (and with more deals with them possibly down the line as part of Sinclair's efforts to pay down its debt from the RSN acquisition) so I'm not sure that Kim is even going to make another push to take over Tegna and just focuses on being one of the major shareholders in the company

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, dman748 said:

And that he's quietly moved on with the purchase of KBSI/WDKA from Sinclair (and with more deals with them possibly down the line as part of Sinclair's efforts to pay down its debt from the RSN acquisition) so I'm not sure that Kim is even going to make another push to take over Tegna and just focuses on being one of the major shareholders in the company

If he could close on Tegna by Tuesday at 7 that would be greaaat...as a DirecTV guy maybe I could keep NBC 😜

Edited by Nelson R.

On 11/29/2020 at 4:00 AM, Gavin said:

There be irreparable damage, I mean Sinclair learned the hard way and there collapsing right now, I'm kinda happy about it cause pushing agendas is something for cable. 

On 11/29/2020 at 3:52 AM, Gavin said:

"The media says Joe Biden is the next President a bursted out laughing" 

MSM doesn't push agendas? LOL! What's the old saying about whenever there's a vacuum, something will always go in to fill it? The vacuum is relevant, accurate, unbiased news. Very few places to find it, if any. (And no, I don't mean Faux News, which is neocon central, not to mention boring.) The national news media is the PR department of the largest employer in their company town (the federal government). When you see who is going to be president for the next four years and you see what the MSM has been deliberately hiding from you, it will be the MSM's final nail in the coffin and good riddance. Their baseline assumptions are awful, their propaganda is stale and only a minority of people believe them anymore.

Local media is halfway decent when it comes to news--boring, but decent. But the national media sucks big time.

Enjoy this link because it's not too far off from what's about to unfold. The "Great Awakening" is coming very soon. General Flynn (probably the next President after Trump) and General McInerney are both heavy hitters and the 305th Military Cyber Battalion McInerney mentions in this interview has all the goods on the attempted election steal. Fireworks are coming.

https://www.worldviewweekend.com/news/article/wvw-tv-exclusive-lt-general-michael-flynns-first-interview-president-trumps-pardon

Edited by DirtyHarry
  • Confused 1

On 11/29/2020 at 3:00 AM, Gavin said:

There be irreparable damage, I mean Sinclair learned the hard way and there collapsing right now, 

Sinclair's problems right now are more or less tied to the bad purchase of the Fox RSNs (there are however other factors too but the collapse of the FSNs is the biggest one right now)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

Enjoy this link because it's not too far off from what's about to unfold. The "Great Awakening" is coming very soon. General Flynn (probably the next President after Trump) and General McInerney are both heavy hitters and the 305th Military Cyber Battalion McInerney mentions in this interview has all the goods on the attempted election steal. Fireworks are coming.

https://www.worldviewweekend.com/news/article/wvw-tv-exclusive-lt-general-michael-flynns-first-interview-president-trumps-pardon

This... I... maybe it's my exhaustion, but this post and that link are just bait, right? I mean, everything you just said and linked are... nevermind.

10 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

MSM doesn't push agendas? LOL! What's the old saying about whenever there's a vacuum, something will always go in to fill it? The vacuum is relevant, accurate, unbiased news. Very few places to find it, if any. (And no, I don't mean Faux News, which is neocon central, not to mention boring.) The national news media is the PR department of the largest employer in their company town (the federal government). When you see who is going to be president for the next four years and you see what the MSM has been deliberately hiding from you, it will be the MSM's final nail in the coffin and good riddance. Their baseline assumptions are awful, their propaganda is stale and only a minority of people believe them anymore.

Local media is halfway decent when it comes to news--boring, but decent. But the national media sucks big time.

This is all conspiracy theories. The cult of personality isn't going to vote for someone without one.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheGuru said:

This... I... maybe it's my exhaustion, but this post and that link are just bait, right? I mean, everything you just said and linked are... nevermind.

5 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

This is all conspiracy theories. The cult of personality isn't going to vote for someone without one.

When two three-star generals spend over an hour explaining what happened, you listen. Or at least you also present their side of the story. You don't embargo that information because it might prop up your unpreferred candidate. I will address this matter again in a few weeks after the fake news (which I don't even watch anymore) has more egg on its face.

But back to the subject of Sinclair. So everybody has the right to present their slant to a story so long as it's left leaning and comports with official propaganda, is that correct? God forbid that someone have an alternative opinion so let's shut them down ... just like the good old days in the Soviet Union! It isn't enough that Hearst, Nexstar, Tegna and all the rest sing from the same script, now we have to force Sinclair to conform too?

There are two things related to Sinclair that drive me nuts. This one from the left I opined on above where they don't allow Sinclair to have an alternative viewpoint, and this next one from both the left AND RIGHT who don't understand that THIS IS A FREAKING PROMO!!!

Edited by DirtyHarry

1 hour ago, DirtyHarry said:

When two three-star generals spend over an hour explaining what happened, you listen. Or at least you also present their side of the story. You don't embargo that information because it might prop up your unpreferred candidate. I will address this matter again in a few weeks after the fake news (which I don't even watch anymore) has more egg on its face.

When the generals in question are disgraced and pledge loyalty to Trump and not the people nor the constitution, they lost any right they had to be heard or respected. It's been proven time and time again that these claims are false and dangerous because their goal is to undermine democracy, not reinforce it.

Hopefully time shows you just how clouded your vision has become. That's the last thing I'll say on that. Wish you nothing but the best after January 20.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, TheGuru said:

When the generals in question are disgraced

You see, this is where the media has changed. They used to at least try to speak truth to power and tried to expose wrongs committed by "the man." Now the national media is in bed with "the man." Flynn was railroaded. Back in the old days, the media would have caused a stink about railroading people. But I guess now that they are the PR department of Government, Inc. they're not allowed to do that anymore.

This is the worst part about media consolidation. Fewer voices = more of this uniparty garbage.

• Confused 1

47 minutes ago, DirtyHarry said:

You see, this is where the media has changed. They used to at least try to speak truth to power and tried to expose wrongs committed by "the man." Now the national media is in bed with "the man." Flynn was railroaded. Back in the old days, the media would have caused a stink about railroading people. But I guess now that they are the PR department of Government, Inc. they're not allowed to do that anymore.

This is the worst part about media consolidation. Fewer voices = more of this uniparty garbage.

Flynn was railroaded? That's a Fox News talking point. Flynn didn't register as a Ukrainian foreign agent, which he legally had to and he lied to the Federal Bureau of Investigation that he had met with the Russian Ambassador to discuss lifting sanctions on Russia, a country with a deeply troubling human rights record. Nothing railroaded about it.

Edited by ABC 7 Denver

6 minutes ago, DirtyHarry said:

First of all, he didn't lie. The FBI Agents themselves even said he didn't lie.

Second of all, Faux News is a neocon outfit. They represent the war division of Government, Inc. and the offshoring division of Globalist, Inc., not Trump's base.

Third, have you heard of selective prosecution? None of the Democrats were hammered for failing to register, namely the Podestas. They went after Flynn to get something on Trump. Flynn didn't have anything because Trump is clean. 

But see what I mean about the fake news? That's why only a minority of people believe it anymore. It's just propaganda via the JournOlist for the Deep State.  Tegna (since this is the Tegna thread) is a small part of it.

Ahahahahahaha! Trump is clean!? Hilarious. E.g. You do know that claiming Corporate property as Private Property to dodge taxes is illegal, right? He's not smarter than any of us by doing that. The tax code isn't a game.

Cite your sources in line with this chart (just so we're clear what's considered neutral), where the FBI Agents say Flynn didn't lie. Media Bias Chart 6.0: Downloadable Image and Standard License - Ad Fontes  Media

There's no evidence to support a deep state, only conspiracy theories. Did you hear about 'The Fake News' any time before Trump was put in by the Electoral College? No.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2020 at 6:45 AM, CircleSeven said:

Well color me surprised...... This is 2009-2010 all over again.....

There's TWO Notice of Proposed Rulemakings (NPRM) involving two Tegna stations. They both want to get out of the VHF dial for a UHF allotment.

One, Portland, OR's KGW wants to leave VHF 8 for UHF 26. While the other, Phoenix's KPNX wants to vacate VHF 12 for UHF 18.

And I don't think they just want to get out of VHF because of viewer signal issues. On a footnote on KGW's NPRM (p.2), it stated based on the petition (PRM) they wrote that “moving to UHF would improve the station’s future ability to offer robust ATSC 3.0 service over the air.

On 10/15/2020 at 8:16 AM, CircleSeven said:

Follow up. Over the summer, Tegna filed a petition (PRM) to move Twin Cities' KARE 11 from VHF 11 to UHF 31

Northpine first posted this back in late July. 

Update: KARE's petition is now a NPRM.

Update. This was quick as hell!

The FCC has issued a Report & Order (R&O), effectively approving the channel changes to KARE (11 > 31), KGW (8 > 26) & KPNX (12 > 18).

Now the stations will have 30 days to file a minor change application for a construction permit on their new allotments. I'm sure they'll be filing those promptly.

Edited by CircleSeven

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/19/2021 at 8:42 PM, IndyNewsOpens said:

It looks like Andrea Morehead, former WTHR reporter, is suing the station and Tegna for failing to provide ADA accomodations for her breast cancer, as well as retaliation and harassment.

Lawsuit document found here.

Oof

That don't sound good. 

• 4 weeks later...

Tegna is launching new female-focused diginet Twist this spring. The network, which features reality and lifestyle programming, will cover about 70% of households at launch. In addition to Tegna stations in 41 markets, the network will be available on Univision-owned stations in 11 markets -- including NYC, L.A., Chicago, and Philadelphia -- and HC2-owned stations in 31 markets. Tegna expects to have additional distribution lined up by the summer.

On 2/1/2021 at 4:27 AM, ABC 7 Denver said:

I get the distinct sense that the new WKYC branding didn't work....http://tegna.jobs.net/jdp/marketing-director-j3w3146glglcz7tycjr?ipath=CRJR8

After clicking the link, let's just say that to theorize that the new branding did not work would be an understatement! 😄

6 hours ago, ScottJ said:

Tegna is launching new female-focused diginet Twist this spring. The network, which features reality and lifestyle programming, will cover about 70% of households at launch. In addition to Tegna stations in 41 markets, the network will be available on Univision-owned stations in 11 markets -- including NYC, L.A., Chicago, and Philadelphia -- and HC2-owned stations in 31 markets. Tegna expects to have additional distribution lined up by the summer.

I can see Twist replacing subchannel space on stations losing a Katz subnet to an Ion spectrum, or Antenna TV to a Nexstar spectrum.

2 hours ago, JCB4TV said:

I can see Twist replacing subchannel space on stations losing a Katz subnet to an Ion spectrum, or Antenna TV to a Nexstar spectrum.

It will likely replace Court TV on WCNC, as it is the only WCNC diginet not owned by Tegna, unless they add a .5.