KBMT, RF12

KIII, RF8

WFAA, RF8, petitioning to purchase KMPX, RF30

KHOU, RF11, owns KTBU, RF33

KWES, RF9

KCEN, RF9

WVEC, RF13

8 minutes ago, Samantha said:

All of the V + U markets have the V as a sub of the U, too.

From there, the most concerning station has to be WLBZ, one of just two low-Vs and the only one without a co-owned U.

WLBZ would most likely have to petition to move to UHF, they were on RF25 during the transition. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2020 at 4:00 PM, Samantha said:

Tegna is making another buy, this time from Estrella Media.

They'll be purchasing that network's owned station in Dallas, KMPX 29, for $19 million. There are two important elements to this deal:

That deal has been greenlighted today.

• Like 1

If only WBNS and the other newly-minted Tegna stations had stood their ground. 

WBNS is literally a turtle on it's back these days, a shell of what it was when it was Dispatch owned.  So much talent and experience has walked out the door in the past year.

At least there's hope for the uber-dominant stations like WBIR, WMAZ and of course Newswatch 16. 

How WBNS ever got to that point is mystifying, although Dispatch likely played a hand over time as WSYX was slowly catching up to them.

12 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

At least there's hope for the uber-dominant stations like WBIR, WMAZ and of course Newswatch 16. 

How WBNS ever got to that point is mystifying, although Dispatch likely played a hand over time as WSYX was slowly catching up to them.

Now that I have been living in the Macon market since January, I can tell you WMAZ would have to literally self destruct for either of its competitors to come close to them. They could change its news music to Rebecca Black's wretched song "Friday" and people would still watch them 4:1 over WGXA and WMGT.  WGXA had given up on morning newscasts on their ABC subchannel even though my Directv listings still show them scheduled from 6-7am M-F. I don't think they have enough people on their staff for daily newscasts and they don't have the elaborate sets like their bigger Sinclair sisters. And don't me started on WMGT! They still have their weather and sports staff at their houses even during known severe weather coming to the area. They don't produce live weekend newscasts. You know your market sucks when your NBC affiliate shows a local stereo store informercial every Saturday night at 11pm instead of a newscast and on Sundays they do a recorded review of local stories from the past week. 

Edited by jerseyfla
  • Haha 3

Agreed on WMGT.  And to think that the WGXA situation was all because WPGA dropped ABC over "moral" issues, and that was a trainwreck of its own.  I'm sure that Macon doing newscasts for Albany's WFXL stretches them even thinner.   It's the darkside of Sinclair few talk about, especially in this part of the country where they literally stretch themselves thin just to put enough on the air for them to offer the illusion of doing newscasts.

WBIR, although it's full on Tegna, still has a lot of the "folksy-ness" features that make it unique.   And their WTNZ newscasts do not use the C-Clarity theme, but use Arnold's Canvas instead.  I wonder if Lockwood has a hand in this?

14 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Agreed on WMGT.  And to think that the WGXA situation was all because WPGA dropped ABC over "moral" issues, and that was a trainwreck of its own.  I'm sure that Macon doing newscasts for Albany's WFXL stretches them even thinner.   It's the darkside of Sinclair few talk about, especially in this part of the country where they literally stretch themselves thin just to put enough on the air for them to offer the illusion of doing newscasts.

WBIR, although it's full on Tegna, still has a lot of the "folksy-ness" features that make it unique.   And their WTNZ newscasts do not use the C-Clarity theme, but use Arnold's Canvas instead.  I wonder if Lockwood has a hand in this?

Those old WPGA owners wished they didn't drop ABC 🤣😂

They don't even exist anymore!

Edited by Yankees4life

16 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Before the current graphics, the WTNZ newscasts actually used Raycom's Limerick graphics for the opens for a time until 2018.   I like the unique approach WTNZ has, instead of just using C Clarity.  I hope the trend continues.

10 hours ago, Yankees4life said:

Those old WPGA owners wished they didn't drop ABC 🤣😂

They don't even exist anymore!

WPGA lives on, even after the original owners filed for bankruptcy in 2015.  The Debtors-in-possession sold the station to Marquee, and now it's a repository of subchannels, with MeTV on the primary feed. 

It's probably the best outcome of all, even though it's likely trounced by WMAZ, but could be nipping at the heels of WGXA and WMGT, given their efforts to begin with🤣.

Edited by tyrannical bastard

14 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

WPGA lives on, even after the original owners filed for bankruptcy in 2015.  The Debtors-in-possession sold the station to Marquee, and now it's a repository of subchannels, with MeTV on the primary feed. 

It's probably the best outcome of all, even though it's likely trounced by WMAZ, but could be nipping at the heels of WGXA and WMGT, given their efforts to begin with🤣.

I was talking about the ownership group but ok

Edited by Yankees4life

For the first time since April 2009, so 11 1/2 years KUSA went back to a double anchor format today for the NOON newscast.    Personally I think that is a bit overkill, considering the majority of what they do on that newscast is show packages from News Channel. 🙄       I liked the single anchor format.  

For all of the flack WKYC gets for out-sucking the other Tegna stations, at least they have once again a piece of their past to be very proud about, Leon Bibb.

He always will be the "poet laureate" of Cleveland television.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmdvDmy5vII&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR1rNyKhrR_3Hm3WPHtIbymUisVS8Hj14_fnkyy1kXBsD8laQPcA_tmRdN8

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, bmasters1 said:

What's this I hear about TBN wanting to buy Tegna and replace the existing newscasts on those stations with hard-right religious shows? Did you hear about that?

https://www.nexttv.com/blog/beware-of-religious-bias-in-media-consolidation

You know this reminds me of pastor Kenneth Copeland when he said "The media says Joe Biden is the next President a bursted out laughing" well this reminds of it but it's at people like him and his faith!!! This is never gonna happened not even Aj Ptat (A Republican himself) wouldn't allow this to happen TBN is a joke the only one I know who watches it is my grandma on my dad side (she's strictly Christian). And that would cost a huge rapture and it would be the largest mass affiliation rupture since 1995 with the FOX/New World deal. Cause no network is gonna wanna affiliate with that cause they serve the audience of America which is diverse, multicultural, and multi-religous also they be the ones to clear network programming for stuff not all religions would do not be happy with. This article is comedy cause it's never gonna happen!!! They even pre-empt the network evening newscasts, specials it just wouldn't be good for the business!!! And in Markets like Seattle, St. Louis, Dallas, Houston, Portland, Washington D.C., Phoenix  that just wouldn't slide there.

Edited by Gavin
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Gavin said:

And in Markets like Seattle, St. Louis, Dallas, Houston, Portland, Washington D.C., Phoenix  that just wouldn't slide there.

How true, how true! Imagine if someone in Phoenix wanted to turn on the evening edition of KPNX 12 News on coming home from work, and then all of a sudden had TBN shouting at them or Mike Huckabee ranting-- the ratings would tank in a hurry!

• Like 1

Just now, bmasters1 said:

How true, how true! Imagine if someone in Phoenix wanted to turn on the evening edition of KPNX 12 News on coming home from work, and then all of a sudden had TBN shouting at them or Mike Huckabee ranting-- the ratings would tank in a hurry!

There be irreparable damage, I mean Sinclair learned the hard way and there collapsing right now, I'm kinda happy about it cause pushing agendas is something for cable. And local people kept it local, non-biased community faith, and now local news is endanger!!! Now I don't live in a Tegna market but imaging WFMY 2 News with Huckabee racist views.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, bmasters1 said:

I hope not, I watch WATN in Memphis and even though I don't like TEGNA, I definitely don't want to see the 700 Club every night.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, NewsGuyTV said:

I hope not, I watch WATN in Memphis and even though I don't like TEGNA, I definitely don't want to see the 700 Club every night.

I know right, screw Pat Robertson, he airs on WRAZ FOX 50 in Raleigh or he used too they now air simulcast sister-station WRALs Noon News. No one watches and want to hear his racist-gospel rants 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1