TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

4 hours ago, PhillyWatch said:

Doubling down on the "morning" theme with what appears to be a sunny-side up egg floating in a mug of coffee

I just watched the opening (and rewatched it), and its just the way the 'O' in "Mornings" morphs from the coffee cup.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 12:32 AM, Payton39 said:

Off topic, but "42 Freway?" That sounds very SoCal, not SoJerz. 

Anyhow, I do like that traffic ticker, but it goes slightly fast.

and concerning the "10" logo for WTSP, I like it in general.I used to live there, but forget what it looked like from 91-93.  I love the shapes, and I love going back to the past, like KFMB 8 here in San Diego. 

'TSP still had their "sunset" logo since their "Stay In Touch With Ten!" era in '91 before they had the WCAU-esque "10" with the waves in '93/'94

• 4 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, JohnnyNews said:

I think TEGNA is in process of switching weather icons (again) WWL And WFMY are using some new tropical weather icons.

Updated icons had been in the works for months. They finally became available a couple weeks ago.

Edited by MidwestTV

11 minutes ago, JohnnyNews said:

When are the rest supposed to debut on the air? I wonder why they keep switching the icon sets

Really up to the individual stations if they want to bother downloading them. Not a hard-fast requirement. Mainly the tropical icons were updated along with a few other updates and a couple new ones.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MidwestTV said:

Really up to the individual stations if they want to bother downloading them. Not a hard-fast requirement. Mainly the tropical icons were updated along with a few other updates and a couple new ones.

Well then you know what any of them look like?

4 hours ago, MidwestTV said:

What a horrendously distracting severe weather set up.

While it is very much agreeable that this is a very distracting set up however this is something that I would've expected for a market like Hartford that deals with primarily Nor'Easters and not so much Severe Weather. If this was in a Severe Weather aggressive market that would be very much understandable.

In another video message to employees, CEO David Lougee announced that work-from-home guidelines will remain in place until at least January 4, 2021. This means that employees who can work remotely and don't absolutely have to be in the building (i.e, sales, promotions, etc) will do so until next year. However, on-air talent may be allowed back in the building on a market-by-market basis depending on what the COVID numbers are in their respective locations. Some other notes include:

-85% of employees completed the company survey

-everyone will get a $100 UberEats gift card

-non-TV station buildings will be modified with COVID in mind and then they'll be required to come back to work in January

-people who want to keep the option to work form home after the January 4th date need to talk to their immediate leaders

26 minutes ago, MidwestTV said:

In another video message to employees, CEO David Lougee announced that work-from-home guidelines will remain in place until at least January 4, 2021. This means that employees who can work remotely and don't absolutely have to be in the building (i.e, sales, promotions, etc) will do so until next year. However, on-air talent may be allowed back in the building on a market-by-market basis depending on what the COVID numbers are in their respective locations. Some other notes include:

-85% of employees completed the company survey

-everyone will get a $100 UberEats gift card

-non-TV station buildings will be modified with COVID in mind and then they'll be required to come back to work in January

-people who want to keep the option to work form home after the January 4th date need to talk to their immediate leaders

So it sounds like after January 4th -- TEGNA will essentially start requiring everyone to come back to the station?

Tegna is objecting to the license renewal of a low-power TV station in Virginia because it interfered with its WVEC after the repack.

On June 8, DirecTV informed Tegna that it was having trouble receiving WVEC. After inspection of its equipment and a consultation with DirecTV, it began to suspect interference from WGBS-LD on RF channel 11; the station was displaced to 12 by WVEC. It then temporarily took WVEC silent—and voilà, DirecTV got WGBS-LD in its stead!

Tegna SVP, General Counsel and Secretary Akin Harrison writes:

As a low power television station, WGBS is responsible for avoiding harmful interference to full power television stations such as WVEC and for promptly eliminating any such interference that occurs, including by powering down and/or changing channels if necessary. In this case, WGBS was aware that once WVEC transitioned to Channel 11, WGBS could no longer broadcast on that channel without causing impermissible interference to WVEC. Moreover, WVEC received its license to cover its Channel 11 facility on May 11, 2020, thus putting WGBS on notice that WVEC had commenced Channel 11 operations. Yet it appears that, nearly a month later, WGBS chose to resume impermissible Channel 11 transmissions for a period of at least several days, thus willfully interfering with local viewers’ ability to receive WVEC’s signal. Before it grants WGBS’s application to renew its license, the Commission should assure itself that the station’s licensee understands, and will comply with, WGBS’s non-interference obligations.

• 2 weeks later...