TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

Logo design aside (though I am a fan), props have to be given for any station willing to go with a color scheme that isn't the tired "dominant blue, red/yellow accents". WPSG had a fantastic set of green/blue graphics when they were producing their own morning show (separate from KYW). They also had a great red variant of the early CBS O&O graphics.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/29/2020 at 7:36 PM, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

WBNS is launching TEGNA website/mobile app next week... No mention on WTHR's site that I saw..

Here is the link

Lives on for another week due to The protests in Columbus.

New launch date is June 9th (for now)

Edited by ColumbusNewsFan

On 5/26/2020 at 5:43 AM, TSSZNews said:

So WTSP's new look, retro logo and all, was farmed out to an ad agency, per FTVLive.

They also did WXIA.

Watching some of the stuff on that page makes my head hurt.  It would probably alienate their viewers with epilepsy too.

"See beyond the surface" reminds me of this classic from Boston....

https://youtu.be/WP1YbGLdXKM?t=90

And reading about what they did for WXIA......they though about this WAAAAAAAAY tooo much!

"Hey, let's make the angles 11 degrees because it's channel 11!"

As The Simpsons said in the Poochie episode it's just another example of a "...soul-less byproduct of committee thinking."

But the agency wanted a brand that didn't get "busy.....it gets BIZ-ZAY!"

I have to go now.  My home planet needs me.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Watching some of the stuff on that page makes my head hurt.  It would probably alienate their viewers with epilepsy too.

"See beyond the surface" reminds me of this classic from Boston....

https://youtu.be/WP1YbGLdXKM?t=90

And reading about what they did for WXIA......they though about this WAAAAAAAAY tooo much!

"Hey, let's make the angles 11 degrees because it's channel 11!"

As The Simpsons said in the Poochie episode it's just another example of a "...soul-less byproduct of committee thinking."

But the agency wanted a brand that didn't get "busy.....it gets BIZ-ZAY!"

I have to go now.  My home planet needs me.

Ad agencies drink too much of their own kool aid.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Tegna and Standard General are scheduled to meet this week (h/t @ChocoMingohttps://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2020/6/8/tegna-to-meet-with-standard-general-this-week

Even though Kim did lose out on Tegna board seats back in April it should be interesting to see how this meeting goes and will have a follow up once any new developments comes out.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 10:56 AM, PhillyWatch said:

Logo design aside (though I am a fan), props have to be given for any station willing to go with a color scheme that isn't the tired "dominant blue, red/yellow accents". WPSG had a fantastic set of green/blue graphics when they were producing their own morning show (separate from KYW). They also had a great red variant of the early CBS O&O graphics.

Off topic, but "42 Freway?" That sounds very SoCal, not SoJerz. 

Anyhow, I do like that traffic ticker, but it goes slightly fast.

and concerning the "10" logo for WTSP, I like it in general.I used to live there, but forget what it looked like from 91-93.  I love the shapes, and I love going back to the past, like KFMB 8 here in San Diego. 

I just saw an opening for WTSP news on YouTube. Too hip or suave or something. Not urgent enough. I wonder what their SR openings are going to be like. But again, I love the logo.

Edited by Payton39

3 hours ago, ttvn2000 said:

UnderConsideration Brand New - a site that review logos from a true "identity/graphic design" standpoint -reviewed the WTSP logo.

https://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/new_logo_and_identity_for_10_tampa_bay_by_matchstic.php

Apparently, the design crowd loves it...

And this board generally tends to hate everything, so I'm not surprised

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, channel2 said:

Armin hardly EVER acknowledges local TV...

Well yeah.

It was professionally designed. It has a purpose.  It wasn't trying to appeal to the lower common denominator. I mean, you can't convince me you don't want this umbrella.

It wasn't trying to one-up their competitors with another flashy Hothaus pack, or whatever Linear Drift is doing with the   |     |     |     |     |     |     |     's and  >     >     >     >     >     >     >     's.

This works.

This is what TV stations should be striving for if they want to have a cohesive brand, not only on television but online. Armin nailed it at the end with the following:

Overall, this is solid work and if it doesn’t feel like a local TV station identity — which it doesn’t (and that's a compliment) — that’s not the identity’s fault but local TV stations’ fault that have, for decades, had such crappy branding.

...and it's true. Local TV stations generally have awful branding led with some people with zero understanding about the visual arts medium, yet this community is still adamant with sticking with the status quo.

And yet people (not specifically you @channel2) wonder why he doesn't talk about local television, while WTSP has proven they are capable of producing gems like this one.

Edited by Journalist
Once this community gets over the fact that it can describe good graphic design other than these superficial comments like "it's need to look 2D, but 3D", then we can start talking.
  • Like 4

I love me some flashy 3D stuff, for sure, but local TV in general seems to lack an understanding of building a multimedia brand. TEGNA has a lot of issues but they have a ton of stations that would sure as hell rather swim than sink.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...