TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

Tegna CEO Dave Lougee released a 21 minute video to employees discussing the status of their COVID operations and answer employee questions. Personnel will be allowed back in building on a market-by-market basis, and even then only for select people. He doesn't foresee any future furloughs or change to employee benefits. He also hinted that some people may be allowed to work from home permanently, but that wouldn't be decided until a much later undetermined date.

Give Tegna slack for what you want, but they have done an excellent job being transparent with their employees about what the company's philosophy and approach to this crisis is. That's certainly a lot more than some other companies have done or would ever do.

Edited by MidwestTV
  • Like 5
  • Concerned 1

News Center Maine (WCSH/WLBZ) is adding a 4PM newscast starting June 1, replacing Daily Blast Live. Hearst's WMTW was first Maine station to start airing news in the time slot in September 2016.  No Bangor stations currently air news at 4. In Portland, Sinclair's WGME will be the only Big 3 station not airing news at 4 (they run Judge Judy.)

Edited by newsbot

On 5/22/2020 at 6:51 PM, MidwestTV said:

Tegna CEO Dave Lougee released a 21 minute video to employees discussing the status of their COVID operations and answer employee questions. Personnel will be allowed back in building on a market-by-market basis, and even then only for select people. He doesn't foresee any future furloughs or change to employee benefits. He also hinted that some people may be allowed to work from home permanently, but that wouldn't be decided until a much later undetermined date.

Give Tegna slack for what you want, but they have done an excellent job being transparent with their employees about what the company's philosophy and approach to this crisis is. That's certainly a lot more than some other companies have done or would ever do.

"And even then for select people." So, are they never going to let some people back in?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jbnews said:

"And even then for select people." So, are they never going to let some people back in?

The "select people" is prioritizing who will be let back in the building first. Departments such as sales wouldn't be as important as allowing anchors or meteorologists or technical staff back in building first. The "never going to let some people back in" applies more to possibly allowing (emphasizing that) some people at a later date to permanently work from home. Should this happen would these people be forced to permanently stay home and work? Well, I can't see how that could be possible as for some having a physical office space is much more practical.

• Thanks 2
  • Concerned 1

19 hours ago, newsbot said:

News Center Maine (WCSH/WLBZ) is adding a 4PM newscast starting June 1, replacing Daily Blast Live. Hearst's WMTW was first Maine station to start airing news in the time slot in September 2016.  No Bangor stations currently air news at 4. In Portland, Sinclair's WGME will be the only Big 3 station not airing news at 4 (they run Judge Judy.)

Where are you hearing this? And don't worry, I see WGME doing it too once Judge Judy goes off-air.

3 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Where are you hearing this? And don't worry, I see WGME doing it too once Judge Judy goes off-air.

They're promoting it on-air. In fact, TitanTV jumped the gun a bit and starting listing the 4PM newscast a couple of weeks ago. And I agree that WGME will join the 4PM news sweepstakes once Judge Judy ends.

Edited by newsbot

On 5/24/2020 at 4:55 AM, newsbot said:

Is DBL being moved? I'd imagine a 4pm newscast would pull in better numbers than DBL.

53 minutes ago, MidwestTV said:

Is DBL being moved? I'd imagine a 4pm newscast would pull in better numbers than DBL.

DBL is already airing at 12:30PM, and I don't see it on the schedule in any other time period on TitanTV.  (Attached 4pm news promo starts about a second in...)

Edited by newsbot

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

First time I've seen a Facebook ad for on air talent in my feed...

The question is, did she pay for the ad or was Tegna (WKYC) involved?

Screenshot_20200525-191732_Facebook.jpg

If you go to her page and click “Page Transparency” - you can see that one FB account is running her page, and there are several ads running.  Looks like she may be doing it?

Fox 8 ran some sponsored ads last year, featuring a contest to have lunch with Kenny Crumpton. The comments were interesting... 😬

24CAFA34-9C68-48E8-8077-133489BE752F.jpeg

10 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Looking at this guide, DBL is on at 12:30pm after the Noon report.

It appears that Daily Blast Live come on at 12:30 p.m. on both stations while Dr. Phil moves to 3:00 p.m. on WLBZ in order to accomodate the new NewsCenter Maine at 4.

I know the world has been flipped on it's head, but I'm surprised WTHR & WBNS still haven't been pushed to the TEGNA web layout. I wonder if they're running into logistics issues getting the sites & content transferred?

Edited by TheGuru
grammar!

Wait. So that logo isn't a throwback? They actually designed it that way? In 2020? For a news station? It looks bad in small sizes on digital, and it's going to moiré on air. Congrats to them for creating a logo that's designed neither for TV nor digital.

Edited by C Block

1 hour ago, C Block said:

Wait. So that logo isn't a throwback? They actually designed it that way? In 2020? For a news station? It looks bad in small sizes on digital, and it's going to moiré on air. Congrats to them for creating a logo that's designed neither for TV nor digital.

Welcome to TEGNA.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, MidwestTV said:

That mint color only has me thinking of mint ice cream.

A subtle feature I noticed that was surely was intentional is there are 5 black lines that comprise the '1' and '0' adding up to 10.

I thought the same thing. Honest to god, I'd love to see some ice cream consumption data for this DMA in two or three years. Might be a bit of a rush on Mint because, ya'know, subliminal messaging. :classic_laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2