TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

On 5/5/2020 at 8:23 PM, TheRob said:

I guess if my quarantine hair can look like something out of 1979, WTSP can use a 1979-inspired logo on its website

wtsp.png

I'm getting Star Wars vibes with this, especially the Tampa Bay text.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheRolyPoly said:

I'm getting Star Wars vibes with this, especially the Tampa Bay text.

There's plenty of line-filled '70s logos I can point you to...

latest?cb=20110513080440

latest?cb=20110520160930

latest?cb=20130310061838

It's not just a Star Wars thing. It's an era of design that designers have a lot of affection for.

Edited by channel2

On 5/7/2020 at 8:59 PM, channel2 said:

There's plenty of line-filled '70s logos I can point you to...

latest?cb=20110513080440

latest?cb=20110520160930

latest?cb=20130310061838

It's not just a Star Wars thing. It's an era of design that designers have a lot of affection for.

How about WAFB in Baton Rouge c. mid-'70s....

WAFB_logo_early_1977.jpg

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

In WBRC's case, the "6" at the time drew from their longtime neon sign on top of Red Mountain...(hence the "on top of it all" slogan)

It even translates to their current logo.

WBRC FOX 6 News | Roku Channel Store | Roku

At least this has history to draw on.  As for WTSP, this what they REALLY looked like in 1979.

WTSP | Logopedia | Fandom

Both of those would look much better on WTSP.  The current multi-lined logo they seem to be adopting is just too busy looking and distracting.

Well crud, I'm finally getting the circle 3 logo on the WKYC.com website.

8 hours ago, 8Viewer said:

The lines on WTSP's new logo are a bit harsh on the eyes. They could do a solid multi-color "10" but then again my design sensibilities are best left in the early '90s.  

It would probably be a disaster had it been introduced in the SD era....with the moire effect.

Edited by tyrannical bastard

12 hours ago, CBS11 Weatherboy said:

So i'm guessing either WQAD is next or WATN

WATN needs it, BAD. 

It's half Nexstar with the other half being the Tegna look (with the COVID-19 scheme)

I'm sure it's all because of the pandemic and Tegna had these ready to roll out to their stations.  But it looks really weird and hacked together.  Almost as bad as when Newport was schlepping through its final days as WPTY ABC 24 only for Nexstar to save the day by killing their former sister stations down in Little Rock (KLRT/KSAN and stealing their set, literally!)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

WATN needs it, BAD. 

It's half Nexstar with the other half being the Tegna look (with the COVID-19 scheme)

I'm sure it's all because of the pandemic and Tegna had these ready to roll out to their stations.  But it looks really weird and hacked together.  Almost as bad as when Newport was schlepping through its final days as WPTY ABC 24 only for Nexstar to save the day by killing their former sister stations down in Little Rock (KLRT/KSAN and stealing their set, literally!)

I think it's only a matter of time before WATN switches over to the full-blown TEGNA look, but there are already signs the transition could be happening soon. Their 9AM newscast was recently re-branded as Memphis This Morning (which may or may not be temporary).

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TennTV1983 said:

I think it's only a matter of time before WATN switches over to the full-blown TEGNA look, but there are already signs the transition could be happening soon. Their 9AM newscast was recently re-branded as Memphis This Morning (which may or may not be temporary).

I do agree! And I bet they'll use these graphics as good as WTHR is. Because WTHR absolutely is blowing the original TEGNA stations out of the water using the C Clarity graphics. Plus WTHR, WATN , WZDX unlike the other TEGNA stations use Baron Lynx opposed to WSI MAX. And WATN will probably be the 2nd station to get C Clarity using Baron weather graphics.

On 5/5/2020 at 8:31 PM, TheRyan said:

Tegna needs to make the logo section bigger on the website.  And I still wish the 10 typeface would be made solid (or have fewer lines) instead of the ridiculous number of lines (which doesn't show up good at all on the website).

image.png.69e83d590f502741855e19105c3aa8e3.png

Wait..... This is real?!?!? 

Tegna... are you even trying anymore or.....? 🤦🏼‍♀️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Concerned 1

1 hour ago, HoosierNewsie said:

Wait..... This is real?!?!? 

Tegna... are you even trying anymore or.....? 🤦🏼‍♀️

How sure is everyone that the local station didn’t make this decision? Why is the blame for things people don’t like placed squarely on the corporation?

The logo is retro and kinda cool. Not everyone needs to agree, but it is something different.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Concerned 1

20 minutes ago, NateinFLA said:

How sure is everyone that the local station didn’t make this decision? Why is the blame for things people don’t like placed squarely on the corporation?

The logo is retro and kinda cool. Not everyone needs to agree, but it is something different.

I can't be sure, but I can just guess he was referring to the low resolution of that 10 logo.  Tegna needs to redo the logo section of their new website design.  Many logos on Tegna's new website format are barely legible...and I'm being generous in saying that.  One station in particular has their slogan so small it would be better described as fine print.  

Make the logo space bigger or have the logo take up a larger part of that section so it's easier to read/look at.  Either way Tegna needs to address this sooner rather than later.

Edited by TheRyan
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

I can't be sure, but I can just guess he was referring to the low resolution of that 10 logo.  Tegna needs to redo the logo section of their new website design.  Many logos on Tegna's new website format are barely legible...and I'm being generous in saying they're barely legible, especially KFSM and WTSP. 

Make the logo space bigger or have the logo take up a larger part of that section so it's easier to read/look at.  Either way Tegna needs to address this sooner rather than later.

It looks fine on my end.

5BA45D7B-C0B8-444E-991F-599F8E251830.jpeg

• Like 2