TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

Shareholders have re-elected all 12 TEGNA directors.

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/top-news/248363/shareholders-re-elect-all-12-tegna-directors/

This campaign lead by Kim was ill-timed and honestly, comes off as desperate.

I'm glad the shareholders saw that. I'd go a step further and say that Kim is responsible for the furloughs due to the cost TEGNA had to endure to hire advisory firms, etc, but this is out of my area of expertise so I'll leave it at that.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2020/4/29/tornado-sirens-sound-and-the-chief-meteorologist-is-furloughed

Apparently, there is a big question mark on WCNC's Chief Meteorologist who may have broke the furlough, even though it was certainly the responsible thing to do. He may have even stood up against his company.

9 hours ago, TheGuru said:

Bravo, I say. Anyone who puts the public interest ahead of personal or corporate gain gets an A+ in my book.

Also, like the article says, I'd be interested to know how TEGNA characterizes this "breach" of furlough, since he was acting as an independent meteorologist. Just scrubbing through the stream, he doesn't appear to use any TEGNA graphics, but I'm not going to sit and watch all 2 1/2 hours just to see how diligent he is to not mention WCNC.

At any rate, I think we can all agree that when multiple tornado warnings are happening in and around the main city in your market, you have to pull out all the stops. I'm sure the other meteorologists did a fantastic job, but you need your Chief in an outbreak, big or small, to really drive the coverage.

While it wasn't explicitly mentioned in Tegna's furlough rules, all employees were told to not do ANYTHING work related during the furlough, not even answer an email, or else they will have been considered to have worked and their furlough will need to be moved, complicating the process. That extended to social media: don't post anything at all to your talent pages, work or otherwise. The only exception would be if a talent used their page as their personal social media page too, in which case they can post, just not anything pertaining to work.

Also, the chief isn't always available to do severe weather coverage. There are other meteorologists who are more than capable of handling the situation, and it gives them great exposure.

Edited by MidwestTV

1 hour ago, Al-SA-TX said:

Shareholders have re-elected all 12 TEGNA directors.

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/top-news/248363/shareholders-re-elect-all-12-tegna-directors/

This campaign lead by Kim was ill-timed and honestly, comes off as desperate.

I'm glad the shareholders saw that. I'd go a step further and say that Kim is responsible for the furloughs due to the cost TEGNA had to endure to hire advisory firms, etc, but this is out of my area of expertise so I'll leave it at that.

Hiring advisory firms and such didn't result in them having to furlough people.  Extravagant spending by the company's board just to retain board members (and that's not automatically the same thing as "defending" them against Standard), combined with the questionable (at best) circumstances regarding their shareholder voting process are just two of the long list of reasons I don't see this as a deathblow to Standard.

This isn't over by any means.

Edited by TheRyan
  • Like 2

One thing I do hope is that both Kim and Lougee can move forward from this by ending the proxy fight and that means resolving the legal issues too and eventually moving towards a sale in some form. I think that especially toward the last month of this it turned pretty nasty between the two and not in a good way. 

Here are two examples of how this proxy fight turned nasty:

Tegna: https://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/tegna-standard-generals-stock-sales-are-troubling

Standard General: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/standard-general-responds-to-tegnas-attempt-to-deflect-attention-from-sustained-underperformance-301038482.html

• Like 1

18 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

eventually moving towards a sale in some form

Why do you keep pushing for a sale? What does a financier have to offer anybody in the broadcast industry? Anytime there's a sale, companies are forced to take on debt. When they take on more debt, usually the employees suffer the brunt of it.

But that's beside the point. If somebody comes up to you and demands to buy your house, you're under no obligation to sell it to him. What makes Kim so special? The other shareholders see what his agenda is. They're not going to sell if they don't want to.

Edited by DirtyHarry
  • Like 1
  • Concerned 1

5 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

Why do you keep pushing for a sale? What does a financier have to offer anybody in the broadcast industry? Anytime there's a sale, companies are forced to take on debt. When they take on more debt, usually the employees suffer the brunt of it.

But that's beside the point. If somebody comes up to you and demands to buy your house, you're under no obligation to sell it to him. What makes Kim so special? The other shareholders see what his agenda is. They're not going to sell if they don't want to.

Maybe you should talk to Soo Kim about it. He did say yesterday after the results that he does want to engage with Tegna's board and give them ideas for how to maximize their shareholder value and that probably means exploring any and all alternatives (including a sale)

But let's also be honest here, any potential sale ain't going to happen at least for the next several months largely because all the media stocks (Gray, Scripps, etc.) have ALL taken massive hits and have lost nearly 50% of its value since February 21st.

When almost half of your value is pretty much wiped out that makes any sale in general (not just this one) very difficult to obtain.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Yankees4life said:

The new boss is the old boss...

Nope. Still has the Circle 3 logo from here

They must have changed it back recently. It was still cached on my computer as the old logo, but when I right-clicked, viewed image, and refreshed it changed to the Circle 3.

2 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

I checked on two different browsers, the old "wkyc 3" logo was still there.

Please, for the love of anything holy....dump the circle 3!!!!

Weirdly enough, I use the Firefox app to view that site, I see the circle 3. When I use Chrome, I see the old logo 🤷‍♂️

Is WTSP seriously switching to this logo?

image.png.fcc6b2c996bf4c1abf154e9d2a5f6486.png

What is with all of these ridiculous throwbacks?

KSDK - Wikipedia

WXIA-TV | The Alternate TV Wiki | Fandom

That or logos that are slapped together:

WVEC - Wikipedia

KXTV - Wikipedia

KVUE ABC News - Breakaway Public Relations

TEGNA has no branding game.

5 minutes ago, Yankees4life said:

Weirdly enough, I use the Firefox app to view that site, I see the circle 3. When I use Chrome, I see the old logo 🤷‍♂️

Clear your browser cache.

• Like 3

Tegna needs to make the logo section bigger on the website.  And I still wish the 10 typeface would be made solid (or have fewer lines) instead of the ridiculous number of lines (which doesn't show up good at all on the website).

image.png.69e83d590f502741855e19105c3aa8e3.png

Edited by TheRyan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

The WTSP re-design is certainly a...choice. Sometimes what old really isn't new again.

But if Tegna "has no branding game" because they have stations with a network logo attached to a channel number or call letters, then 90% of all stations in the country "has no branding game."

Edited by MidwestTV
  • Like 3
  • Concerned 1

how come when a station gets a corporate graphics/music pkg it's lamented as a loss of  local identity... but when a station adopts a unique logo brewed up locally... it's "slapped together"???

nobody else in town has a logo like that...

and that is the point...

• Like 2
  • Concerned 1

3 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

WVEC - Wikipedia

I never understood this logo. I mean, I like how clean it looks. But, I just absolutely do not understand what the "slash" is for, or represents. I usually don't care about logos, I just think they all, for the most part look the same. But this one just boggles my mind. 

On 5/5/2020 at 7:18 PM, ABC 7 Denver said:

KSDK - Wikipedia

WXIA-TV | The Alternate TV Wiki | Fandom

WVEC - Wikipedia

KXTV - Wikipedia

KVUE ABC News - Breakaway Public Relations

Clear your browser cache.

At least WTSP’s logo looks better than this crappy logo.

440B9650-248E-44B2-8850-6146D7E572CA.png

Edited by TheMassMediaGeek