TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

1 minute ago, Nelson R. said:

Well we know Nexstar won’t be getting WCNC or WFMY...

Plus Nexstar would run into a lot of cap issues too even with the discount. If anything Nexstar may only want stations such as WFAA, KHOU, KENS and WUSA (technically Nexstar would have a triopoly but since WDVM doesn't cover the entire D.C. market that makes WUSA/WDCW permissible)

I seriously doubt Nexstar wants all of Tegna even if SCOTUS overrules the Third Circuit ruling on Pai's dereg moves.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Pretty much their entire lower-market portfolio.

So the heritage Nexstar stations pre-2012 and some of the ex-Newport stations.

There would be 32 conflicts if you assume that WUSA/WDCW/WDVM wouldn't pass muster, going from markets as large as Houston to as small as San Angelo.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, scrabbleship said:

So the heritage Nexstar stations pre-2012 and some of the ex-Newport stations.

There would be 32 conflicts if you assume that WUSA/WDCW/WDVM wouldn't pass muster, going from markets as large as Houston to as small as San Angelo.

This is why I can't foresee Nexstar buying Tegna whole I can see them with a few of the Tegna stations but not the whole thing.

32 conflicts would be way too much for one company like Nexstar to handle.

Personally I view that Nexstar is not going to be a great candidate for Tegna, although they might be able to pull it off (at least in buying a large part of the stations if intervening future circumstances allow).  My reasoning for this is they still have until next year to acquire "back" WPIX from Scripps--and I can only imagine how much they want to get into that market.  And if I was Nexstar, I would be actively trying to get WPIX.

I still think Standard is the front runner candidate for Tegna--at least practically speaking.  They seem to be the perfect fit given that they aren't even nearly close to the ownership cap as it currently stands now.  And perhaps TBN could get any divestitures (or at least some divestitures) if Standard managed to get Tegna outright. 

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2020/4/29/tornado-sirens-sound-and-the-chief-meteorologist-is-furloughed

Apparently, there is a big question mark on WCNC's Chief Meteorologist who may have broke the furlough, even though it was certainly the responsible thing to do. He may have even stood up against his company.

2 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2020/4/29/tornado-sirens-sound-and-the-chief-meteorologist-is-furloughed

Apparently, there is a big question mark on WCNC's Chief Meteorologist who may have broke the furlough, even though it was certainly the responsible thing to do. He may have even stood up against his company.

And WCNC had Iisha Scott and Larry Sprinkle covering the tornado warnings in the area that night.

Just now, AaronQ said:

And WCNC had Iisha Scott and Larry Sprinkle covering the tornado warnings in the area that night.

That's true. But I know the Chief Met, especially an experienced one, is seen as the "trusted" voice. If I was there, I would have flipped to WSOC or WBTV otherwise.

Just now, GoldenShine9 said:

That's true. But I know the Chief Met, especially an experienced one, is seen as the "trusted" voice. If I was there, I would have flipped to WSOC or WBTV otherwise.

Even WJZY as well, and oddly enough WCCB covered it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Bravo, I say. Anyone who puts the public interest ahead of personal or corporate gain gets an A+ in my book.

Also, like the article says, I'd be interested to know how TEGNA characterizes this "breach" of furlough, since he was acting as an independent meteorologist. Just scrubbing through the stream, he doesn't appear to use any TEGNA graphics, but I'm not going to sit and watch all 2 1/2 hours just to see how diligent he is to not mention WCNC.

At any rate, I think we can all agree that when multiple tornado warnings are happening in and around the main city in your market, you have to pull out all the stops. I'm sure the other meteorologists did a fantastic job, but you need your Chief in an outbreak, big or small, to really drive the coverage.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TheGuru said:

Bravo, I say. Anyone who puts the public interest ahead of personal or corporate gain gets an A+ in my book.

Also, like the article says, I'd be interested to know how TEGNA characterizes this "breach" of furlough, since he was acting as an independent meteorologist. Just scrubbing through the stream, he doesn't appear to use any TEGNA graphics, but I'm not going to sit and watch all 2 1/2 hours just to see how diligent he is to not mention WCNC.

On the same day that somehow Tegna had the gall to crow and announce their stockholders would get Q1 dividends too. If you're a furloughed employee, you should wonder if the viewer or the staff is priority #1 right now ...or even in the top 10.

2 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

On the same day that somehow Tegna had the gall to crow and announce their stockholders would get Q1 dividends too. If you're a furloughed employee, you should wonder if the viewer or the staff is priority #1 right now ...or even in the top 10.

And on top of everything else they're spending millions of dollars ensuring that their precious board of directors maintain their seats at the expense of furloughing their own employees oh and btw they're facing possible legal trouble as it's been posted in the speculation thread.

I think today is a make or break day for Tegna, Soo Kim, Deb McDermott and others from Standard General get elected and real change can take place at Tegna however, the same Board of Directors that's resisting anything and everything that's good and they risk eventually going under.

It's up to the shareholders whether they want real change or see Tegna go under.

• Like 1

Can someone explain why/how Soo Kim and Standard General board members would benefit Tegna? I've heard each sides take, but I'm not educated enough to really understand what is going on. Can anyone here give an impartial summary? Seems like many here have a feeling of not liking the direction of Tegna, so any new board member is good....? Or is there something specific Soo Kim/Standard General can bring to the table?

16 minutes ago, PTVNews said:

Can someone explain why/how Soo Kim and Standard General board members would benefit Tegna? I've heard each sides take, but I'm not educated enough to really understand what is going on. Can anyone here give an impartial summary? Seems like many here have a feeling of not liking the direction of Tegna, so any new board member is good....? Or is there something specific Soo Kim/Standard General can bring to the table?

I think its a combination of both, I think the board's leadership has failed over the last say year they've had an opportunity to sell the company whole pretty much up until as recently as this month and instead they just simply refuse to do so and before anyone cites COVID as the reason, Tegna had an opportunity to engage with Apollo last year (pre-COVID) but they refused to come to the table with Apollo to sell. All of that combined with Standard's prior knowledge and experience being in the industry (e.g. Media General, Belo and Fisher)