TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

On 3/23/2020 at 5:54 AM, PTVNews said:

Interestingly, looks like Tegna has wiped clear their job postings. Only 2 are listed when there are usually dozens. Wonder if it's due to COVID-19 or the acquisition attempts?

https://www.jobs.net/jobs/tegna/en-us/all-jobs/

There's only one on-air job listed now. The rest are technical positions. Given how Tegna has extended their WFH policy until April 10th and are heavily encouraging people to not come to work, it shouldn't be a surprise that job interviews are on hold.

5 hours ago, WxNerd said:

Being from Indiana and watching WTHR growing up, I can officially say this: If they drop the "Eyewitness News" Brand,  BIG 👏MISTAKE 👏TEGNA👏

Very big mistake. I'm not gonna speculate but I have a feeling they're going to get a new logo i'll just wait til noon to see myself.

20 minutes ago, jbnews said:

WTHR has officially been Tegna-fied. The look fits them GOOD. Here's the open for "13 News" at Noon.

Wow. Never thought I'd see the day when WTHR would drop the Eyewitness News brand. Hopefully it doesn't hurt the station too bad in the long run, but there's a good chance it will. We shall see...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, east-tx-tv said:

Just checked, and the main page on WTHR's website shows their live link at the top of the page as the "Eyewitness News 13 Live Stream".

That's because the tech people haven't had the chance to remove the Eyewitness News 13 from the link yet, they will eventually.

It takes time for things like that to change over it can't just happen overnight and besides I'd be willing to bet that the people who have been working on this project just recently started working from home amid COVID-19.

1 hour ago, EastTennesseeWXGeek said:

WTHR just launched their new graphics here at noon. Actually, I'm pretty impressed with the way they handled the graphics. I don't like the new "13 News" though. 

WTHR L3.PNG

wthr graphic.PNG

wthr talent l3.PNG

coming up.PNG

wthr open 2.PNG

wthr open.PNG

new set graphics.PNG

The graphics do look good. The music still sounds terrible. And 13 News is going to take some getting used to...

1 hour ago, tjt24 said:

Wow. Never thought I'd see the day when WTHR would drop the Eyewitness News brand. Hopefully it doesn't hurt the station too bad in the long run, but there's a good chance it will. We shall see...

iron man eye roll GIF

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Concerned 2

The imagery is pretty good on the graphics, notwithstanding that I don't particularly like the gfx pkg in general.  But "C Clarity" is a sorry replacement for "The Tower".    And of course they just had to drop a perfectly solid brand name for something uninspiring.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

The imagery is pretty good on the graphics, notwithstanding that I don't particularly like the gfx pkg in general.  But "C Clarity" is a sorry replacement for "The Tower".    And of course they just had to drop a perfectly solid brand name for something uninspiring.

Yeah C Clarity is a really serious downgrade from The Tower. And while the Eyewitness News brand isn't unique to the station like it is for a station such as WABC, they did use it for many years, and I think it just came as a surprise to see it go. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tjt24 said:

WTHR 13 News would’ve been much, much better.

• Like 3
  • Concerned 1

2 hours ago, TheRyan said:

What would possess WTHR to no longer be Eyewitness (or Tegna to make them that way; don't know which)?! This makes Indy a seemingly vanilla town where news titles are concerned now, because when WTHR was Eyewitness, they had something that stood out for an NBC station.

Edited by bmasters1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Meanwhile just reading some of the information from the filings Tegna made earlier today it seams as if Tegna is not preparing to be sold they're preparing to be taken over by Soo Kim https://www.streetinsider.com/SEC+Filings/Form+PRER14A+TEGNA+INC/16660413.html

As a result of the potential proxy solicitation by Standard General, we will incur additional costs in connection with our solicitation of proxies. We have hired Innisfree M&A Incorporated, a proxy solicitation firm, to assist us in soliciting proxies for a fee of $            . Innisfree expects that approximately [            ] of their employees will assist in the solicitation. The total amount to be spent for the Company’s solicitation of proxies from shareholders for the Annual Meeting, in excess of those normally spent for an annual meeting as a result of the potential proxy contest and excluding salaries and wages of our officers and regular employees, is estimated to be approximately $            , approximately $             of which has been incurred to date.

The reason you're not seeing the figure information on here is because right now all the parties involved are sitting in some form of video call, etc. figuring up the costs associated with the Standard General takeover of Tegna.

Edited by oknewsguy

2 hours ago, bmasters1 said:

What would possess WTHR to no longer be Eyewitness (or Tegna to make them that way; don't know which)?! This makes Indy a seemingly vanilla town where news titles are concerned now, because when WTHR was Eyewitness, they had something that stood out for an NBC station.

I don’t think Tegna was behind the retitling of WTHR’s news brand necessarily. WWL still uses the Eyewitness News branding for its newscasts five years out from the company’s spinoff from Gannett. I think it may be a station-dictated move in conjunction with the changes to the graphics and music, just like when WMAZ dropped the Eyewitness News moniker for its newscasts about two years ago to become simply 13WMAZ News.

These “vanilla” titles have kinda become more common over the past decade, probably because station consultants probably think they convey an “old school” air to the brand, just like when NewsCenter and NewsWatch went out of style by the end of the 20th Century and NewsScene went out of style towards the mid-to-late ‘80s. Unique news branding makes sense, it’s just no one thinks applying it to the newscast title is “modern”. Those still using brands like Eyewitness News, NewsChannel, NewsCenter, etc. are really more of an exception these days than they were before the early 2010s.

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, T.L. Hughes said:

I don’t think Tegna was behind the retitling of WTHR’s news brand necessarily. WWL still uses the Eyewitness News branding for its newscasts, five years out from the company’s spinoff from Gannett. I think it may be a station-dictated move in conjunction with the changes to the graphics and music, just like when WMAZ dropped the Eyewitness News moniker for its newscasts about two years ago.

Great point! That is why I said "or Tegna to make them that way" in parentheses: because I wasn't sure who was behind this (whether it was the station, or the owner). All that said, I appreciate the clarification; nonetheless, that is sad that one of the last remaining holdouts of the EWN title on NBC stations is no longer (we are now down to 3: WBRE Channel 28 in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, PA; WRCB Channel 3 in Chattanooga, TN; and KOB Channel 4 in Albuquerque, NM).

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, TSSZNews said:

its happening GIF

Gray was their last and best hope? Really?

Apollo and Allen was the best hope.

Problem isn't those groups or COVID-19, the problem is Tegna's Board of Directors' resistence and their attitude towards these groups who are bidding for them have become a problem in fact throughout the lengthy filing I read I saw no mention of either of the bidders for Tegna in the filing whereas Standard General was mentioned a bunch of times in the filing.

Overall in my eyes, the attitude on the part of the board of directors tells me they'd much rather be taken over by Soo Kim than to do the right thing and sell.

8 hours ago, EastTennesseeWXGeek said:

WTHR just launched their new graphics here at noon. Actually, I'm pretty impressed with the way they handled the graphics. I don't like the new "13 News" though. 

new set graphics.PNG

Wow! A stage manager!