TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

1 hour ago, noggi said:

Byron Allen isn't going to run the day to day operations of a local station group. If he acquires TEGNA, the corporate management team comes with it.

This may come as a complete shock and surprise to you all but local stations are about more than news music, sets and graphics... TEGNA has a large corporate staff to help their 60+ stations run their day to day broadcast, digital and sales ad ops. 

That's a given.  Of course Allen won't be making day to day decisions for Tegna.  But he will likely install more like-minded people as him to run Tegna day-to-day.  Whether that includes members of the current Tegna team is not assured.  If Allen wanted, he could decide that everyone gets replaced on Day 1.  I suspect a hybrid of the two will happen.  Some might carry over, but others might be shown the door.  One thing is for certain: major changes will be substantially made with the Tegna stations, widely ranging from on air branding to journalistic standards, if or when ownership changes.

And when I refer to "C Clarity", that term is inclusive of the social media-style presentation as well.  The music is a mere symptom of a much greater problem there.

Edited by TheRyan
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

One thing is for certain: major changes will be substantially made with the Tegna stations, widely ranging from on air branding to journalistic standards, if or when ownership changes.

And when I refer to "C Clarity", that term is inclusive of the social media-style presentation as well.  The music is a mere symptom of a much greater problem there.

you people are all off your rockers...

this is not what is on bryon allen's mind...

period... end of story... 

this isn't lifetime movies presents tvnewstalk's collective wet dream...

maybe TEGNA is appealing to these people because of the way they do things...

mark my words... some day you will wish more owners were like TEGNA...

when those other stations are going DARK!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Concerned 2

1 hour ago, Webovision said:

you people are all off your rockers...

this is not what is on bryon allen's mind...

period... end of story... 

this isn't lifetime movies presents tvnewstalk's collective wet dream...

maybe TEGNA is appealing to these people because of the way they do things...

mark my words... some day you will wish more owners were like TEGNA...

when those other stations are going DARK!!!

I say this respectfully.  I may have a different opinion than you do but let's get along and not resort to speaking like that...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jbnews said:

Cross-posted from Discord: I've been told by a source that WTHR will launch the Tegna GFX/Music next Wednesday (3/25) at noon!

It'll be so sad to see the Tower go. 🙁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scrabbleship said:

If its Apollo I have my doubts. 

Exactly and I think both Apollo and Allen present the best of the best options Tegna can ask for and it shows.

Btw, I've been anticipating this potential Apollo-Tegna marriage since this post I made below when the rumors started flowing about Apollo and Tegna, Apollo-Tegna back in August would've not made any sense but now they have Cox everything just fits in perfectly for the Cox stations.

On 8/21/2019 at 12:51 PM, oknewsguy said:

With Meredith perhaps becoming a buyer, I think Tegna is more likely for Apollo

1 hour ago, EastTennesseeWXGeek said:

How can I join the Discord? There's something here on the TVNewsTalk website that says you can join it, but it won't let me.

I can't remember how I did it, and the page just gave me an error message. @Weeters would be better equipped to answer this question!

2 hours ago, EastTennesseeWXGeek said:

How can I join the Discord? There's something here on the TVNewsTalk website that says you can join it, but it won't let me.

Here's the screenshot of what it would look like and there should be a button that looks something like that down below in this post

In other news, the heat and the pressure on Tegna to either sell the company or face being taken over is being turned up and turned up by quite a bit. Standard General Founding Partner Soo Kim has come out with this statement regarding the situation within Tegna that's been an evolving situation over the last 2 weeks.

It has been two weeks since we commented on the obligation of the TEGNA Board to run a full and fair process, with the assistance of independent advisors, to explore all alternatives to maximize value for all shareholders. During that time, there have been numerous reports of interest from credible third parties in an acquisition of TEGNA, but to date TEGNA has made no public statement regarding these proposals. Indeed, TEGNA continues to publish investor materials that omit any reference to these acquisition proposals, which present the opportunity for all shareholders to realize a substantial premium to the undisturbed market price of TEGNA common stock.

Consistent with its fiduciary responsibility to maximize the value of shareholders' investment, we expect the TEGNA Board to pursue these offers vigorously. We expect TEGNA to give interested parties access to due diligence to enable those parties the opportunity to develop their offers for the Company. In light of challenging market conditions, TEGNA should be open to creative structures and financing solutions that will maximize value and certainty for all shareholders.  Standard General remains ready to work with TEGNA to help thoughtfully evaluate all alternatives. However, if the TEGNA Board takes actions that discourage or create obstacles for credible third parties, we will hold the Board and its advisors accountable.

Is Soo Kim acting like a bully in this situation? Yes but that's only because Tegna (who's just as much responsible for this as Kim is) put him in this spot by not being negotiable with Kim and by rejecting every nominee that Kim has sent to be on Tegna's board that are more qualified for the job and has years of experience working at various station groups in some capacity than what some of the people on Tegna's board are.

After all Kim didn't buy nearly 10% of Tegna for nothing.

Screenshot (103).png

Edited by oknewsguy
  • Haha 1

On 3/20/2020 at 12:26 PM, jbnews said:

Cross-posted from Discord: I've been told by a source that WTHR will launch the Tegna GFX/Music next Wednesday (3/25) at noon!

They're really going to change stuff out during a national emergency?

Ooooooook.

Edited by TSSZNews

16 minutes ago, TSSZNews said:

They're really going to change stuff out during a national emergency?

Ooooooook.

I mean even WBNS rolled out the Tegna gfx/music even when the national emergency was just getting underway so I'm not really surprised.

14 hours ago, EastTennesseeWXGeek said:

12 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

Here's the screenshot of what it would look like and there should be a button that looks something like that down below in this post

Not to take this thread too far off topic, but I tried to join the Discord yesterday, too, and when I clicked the Join link, I got this error message:

[[Template brilliantdiscord/front/invites/accept is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

That might be what EastTenneseeWXGeek is talking about when he says it won't let him join.

19 hours ago, EastTennesseeWXGeek said:

4 hours ago, ScottJ said:

Not to take this thread too far off topic, but I tried to join the Discord yesterday, too, and when I clicked the Join link, I got this error message:

That might be what EastTenneseeWXGeek is talking about when he says it won't let him join.

If that's the case then I'd suggest taking it to the mods and admins in a direct message and see if they can help you get that resolved.

3 hours ago, PTVNews said:

Interestingly, looks like Tegna has wiped clear their job postings. Only 2 are listed when there are usually dozens. Wonder if it's due to COVID-19 or the acquisition attempts?

https://www.jobs.net/jobs/tegna/en-us/all-jobs/

I highly doubt it's because of acquisition attempts. Even if they do decide to sell, it could be a year or more before they are officially taken over. They still have to operate.

It could be because of COVID-19, an error, they are moving to a new website, or those positions got filled and they never took them down.

Edited by jbnews
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jbnews said:

I highly doubt it's because of acquisition attempts. Even if they do decide to sell, it could be a year or more before they are officially taken over. They still have to operate.

It could be because of COVID-19, an error, they are moving to a new website, or those positions got filled and they never took them down.

Is Tegna actually looking into going to a new website or no? Because it could be anything at this point

13 hours ago, PTVNews said:

Interestingly, looks like Tegna has wiped clear their job postings. Only 2 are listed when there are usually dozens. Wonder if it's due to COVID-19 or the acquisition attempts?

https://www.jobs.net/jobs/tegna/en-us/all-jobs/

It could be any number of things. I do know they were very bad about clearing closed positions, the last time I had checked they had postings from November (in early March)!

Maybe another company is jumping to Workday.