TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

42 minutes ago, 24994J said:

Controversial opinion: I don't hate the graphics on WBNS. The theme, yeah, no, but it looks good enough.

I think the graphics fit them well. Some of the modifications they've done (especially to the L3s) seem a little off...but I'll get used to it. I think they've done a good job with the music, too. It's not like they ditched some legacy package anyway. It was Aerial for crying out loud haha!!

So now Standard General has made a proxy statement, still looking for 5 seats on Tegna's board and are asking other shareholders of Tegna to elect those 5 people to the board. https://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/standard-general-files-tegna-proxy-statement

Things are still evolving and developing, I think there's going to be additional movement to this with other companies joining Gray, Apollo (Cox) and Allen in the bidding war for Tegna in order to prevent Soo Kim from taking over Tegna.

Stay tuned folks.

23 hours ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

I am assuming that WQAD is next to be TEGNA-fied... Looking on their website tonight, even though on air, they have Tribune graphics, most of the weather maps online are TEGNA-fied

I was just looking at the WQAD website I couldn't find the weather graphics that you're talking about, from what I saw they were still using the Tribune package for Weather.

On 3/13/2020 at 4:11 PM, oknewsguy said:

So now Standard General has made a proxy statement, still looking for 5 seats on Tegna's board and are asking other shareholders of Tegna to elect those 5 people to the board. https://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/standard-general-files-tegna-proxy-statement

Things are still evolving and developing, I think there's going to be additional movement to this with other companies joining Gray, Apollo (Cox) and Allen in the bidding war for Tegna in order to prevent Soo Kim from taking over Tegna.

Stay tuned folks.

I keep forgetting to update the Standard-Tegna situation so here's the follow-up on that.

In addition to filling the proxy statement, Standard has nominated 2 other people besides Deb McDermott and Larry Wert (which has been mentioned previously in this thread) they are Colleen Brown and Ellen McClain Haime.

So Standard General is continuing to put pressure on Tegna as more companies make offers for the 62 TV stations which puts Tegna in a situation that they can't get out of no matter what.

2 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

I was just looking at the WQAD website I couldn't find the weather graphics that you're talking about, from what I saw they were still using the Tribune package for Weather.

I keep forgetting to update the Standard-Tegna situation so here's the follow-up on that.

In addition to filling the proxy statement, Standard has nominated 2 other people besides Deb McDermott and Larry Wert (which has been mentioned previously in this thread) they are Colleen Brown and Ellen McClain Haime.

So Standard General is continuing to put pressure on Tegna as more companies make offers for the 62 TV stations which puts Tegna in a situation that they can't get out of no matter what.

Go to the maps & radar section of the weather page... all the maps except the 7-day are tegna-fied

wqad 2.png

wqad.png

47 minutes ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

Go to the maps & radar section of the weather page... all the maps except the 7-day are tegna-fied

pic

pic

Those maps are probably generated automatically by a computer in their WX Center or somewhere else in TEGNAland. If I remember correctly, someone noted the new maps back when the site first launched.

Meanwhile Aerial is still alive at 10TV, it's still in use for their Sunday Morning Political show, Face The State 

1 hour ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

wqad 2.png

wqad.png

I checked the WQAD website and I saw the Tegna package so it is coming to WQAD (it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see WQAD fully Tegnized before the May sweeps period begins)

• Like 1

Yep I literally just saw that so it's confirmed that Aerial is alive at WBNS despite C Clarity.    I also sent a tip to NMSA to get the website corrected to show Aerial as still current for Face The State newscasts only.  

Edited by TheRyan

5 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

WBNS = Bleh.

If it wasn't for the total disaster up north at WKYC,  I'd be more devastated.  That alone makes the average Tegna-fication tolerable to some extent.

Are you referring to the graphics or just the way 10TV is handling things with using the Tegna package for everything but Face The State? If it's the latter then that "may" have confirmed just about everything that's creating the uncertainty at Tegna's HQ at the moment and maybe perhaps WBNS knows something that we don't.

On 3/16/2020 at 1:47 AM, oknewsguy said:

Are you referring to the graphics or just the way 10TV is handling things with using the Tegna package for everything but Face The State? If it's the latter then that "may" have confirmed just about everything that's creating the uncertainty at Tegna's HQ at the moment and maybe perhaps WBNS knows something that we don't.

Regarding the Face the State music, as Weeters said (surprisingly) there is no corporate mandate to use C Clarity. It's just cheaper and easier for the stations to use it, so that's why they all do. I'm guessing they also use it because it is a unique opportunity to try something different in terms if the news music we are used to. WBNS' decision to continue the use of Aerial on Face the State has nothing to do with the fact that Tegna may or may not be sold.

Edited by jbnews
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

In general, since WBNS has always been a leader in it's field, and now it's just another corporate clone.

However, regarding the corporate mandates, I'm sure the stations have the levity just because of the uncertainty of Tegna's future ownership at this time...

4 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

In general, since WBNS has always been a leader in it's field, and now it's just another corporate clone.

However, regarding the corporate mandates, I'm sure the stations have the levity just because of the uncertainty of Tegna's future ownership at this time...

That makes sense about the "meh" part of the post. I'm pretty sure behind the scenes 10TV did NOT want the Tegna package at all.

For some reason @jbnews it's not letting me quote your post when I go into edit posts (not sure why) but what's seems to be the most probable outcome for Tegna is that they'll likely try to accept whoever can exceed $20 a share (e.g. Gray making a $21 or $22 a share offer or something like that) the other option for Tegna is that say neither 3 budges north of $20 a share because of the market conditions rather than Tegna saying that they're not going to sell they'll look at and see who would be the better fit for them. (And I would prefer to save that part of the discussion for one of the Tegna merger discussion threads most likely the Speculatron thread since this more than likely is in that territory)

Edited by oknewsguy

5 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

So now the race to acquire Tegna is now coming down to 3 (4 if you count Standard General) hedge fund companies and a former stand-up comedian (Byron Allen).

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-17/apollo-allen-maintain-pursuit-of-tegna-after-gray-drops-out

At this point a stand-up comedian (albeit former) would do better running Tegna or whatever the final entity would be known by than Tegna as it currently exists...

2 hours ago, TheRyan said:

At this point a stand-up comedian (albeit former) would do better running Tegna or whatever the final entity would be known by than Tegna as it currently exists...

Either Allen or Ms. Guthrie from Cox

I think in spite of Tegna's reservations about private equity firms they may have no choice but to go there if it had to come down to that because this whole COIVD-19 stuff is going to keep companies like Meredith, Scripps and others away from bidding for Tegna's stations and if there were any prospects of those aforementioned companies bidding for Tegna (if there were any) that took a big hit today with Gray dropping out.

Edited by oknewsguy

Byron Allen isn't going to run the day to day operations of a local station group. If he acquires TEGNA, the corporate management team comes with it.

This may come as a complete shock and surprise to you all but local stations are about more than news music, sets and graphics... TEGNA has a large corporate staff to help their 60+ stations run their day to day broadcast, digital and sales ad ops. 

Edited by noggi
  • Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, noggi said:

Byron Allen isn't going to run the day to day operations of a local station group. If he acquires TEGNA, the corporate management team comes with it.

This may come as a complete shock and surprise to you all but local stations are about more than news music, sets and graphics... TEGNA has a large corporate staff to help their 60+ stations run their day to day broadcast, digital and sales ad ops. 

Is this the part you're referring to? 

The due-diligence process has been continuing with Apollo and Allen, a comedian-turned-entrepreneur who wants to use Tegna to help build a media empire.

2 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

Is this the part you're referring to? 

Essentially he buys Tegna, shoves his existing stations and properties under it, and lets them do the work while collecting money.

That's it. That's his motive. This isn't some grand scheme to shake up Tegna. 

Same goes for Apollo. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Weeters said:

Essentially he buys Tegna, shoves his existing stations and properties under it, and lets them do the work while collecting money.

That's it. That's his motive. This isn't some grand scheme to shake up Tegna. 

Same goes for Apollo. 

Or at least that was what Tegna said when they confirmed about Apollo showing interest in them. Of course that was last year.

I'm still not sure if those plans have changed (at least on Apollo's end) or if it's still the same as what Tegna said in the press release last year.

All I know is things at Tegna just keeps getting more and more interesting by the day (COVID stuff notwithstanding)