TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

9 minutes ago, DENDude said:

Interesting, I wonder how Gray would run 9NEWS & Channel 20 (KTVD) ?     It might be a good change for the two stations.    They would gain new sister stations, KKCO (11 NEWS), KJCT-LP (NEWS 8 ) In Grand Junction & KKTV in Colorado Springs/Pueblo. 

The branding wouldn't get any better though.

On 2/27/2020 at 11:07 AM, TexasTVNews said:

On 3/6/2020 at 9:29 AM, CLETVFan said:

Isn't that ironic that Gray and Tegna enter into an OTT partnership and then just over a week later Gray wants to buy Tegna for $8.5 billion?

I'm starting to wonder if it was just coincedental or is it something else.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

Isn't that ironic that Gray and Tegna enter into an OTT partnership and then just over a week later Gray wants to buy Tegna for $8.5 billion?

Gray and Apollo want the steak which is Tegna.  Will see what the DOJ /FCC do with this situation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oknewsguy said:

That's very interesting to say the least.

Meanwhile KFSM has now adopted the Tegna website layout. Not sure how that got lost in the mist of this whole Gray/Tegna/Apollo talk but here it is.

Screenshot (95).png

Edited by oknewsguy
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

Meanwhile KFSM has now adopted the Tegna website layout. Not sure how that got lost in the mist of this whole Gray/Tegna/Apollo talk but here it is.

Screenshot (95).png

And once again Tegna doesn't bother trying to make the logo portion legible with this new website design.  Albeit the '5' and 'news' are, but the slogan is barely readable.

On 3/9/2020 at 12:25 AM, oknewsguy said:

Meanwhile KFSM has now adopted the Tegna website layout. Not sure how that got lost in the mist of this whole Gray/Tegna/Apollo talk

You know what else got lost?

They also got the Tegna graphics: https://youtu.be/AeFsLjpr9S0

And WQAD may be next because they're a different logo on their website right now.

Just now, kfc513 said:

You know what else got lost?

They also got the Tegna graphics: https://youtu.be/AeFsLjpr9S0

And WQAD may be next because they're a different logo on their website right now.

It was actually mentioned I believe a couple of pages back in this thread. 

But at the time, KFSM was still on the Tribune website layout.

So KFSM becomes one of only 2 Tribune/Nexstar rejects to have been completely Tegnized. Technically WNEP is the other one (even though they don't use C Clarity yet)

Outside of those 2, they've all switched to the Tegna layouts but are still running either the Tribune package (WTIC, WPMT, WQAD) or the Nexstar package (WOI/KCWI, WATN/WLMT, WZDX)

1 minute ago, oknewsguy said:

It was actually mentioned I believe a couple of pages back in this thread. 

But at the time, KFSM was still on the Tribune website layout.

So KFSM becomes one of only 2 Tribune/Nexstar rejects to have been completely Tegnized. Technically WNEP is the other one (even though they don't use C Clarity yet)

Outside of those 2, they've all switched to the Tegna layouts but are still running either the Tribune package (WTIC, WPMT, WQAD) or the Nexstar package (WOI/KCWI, WATN/WLMT, WZDX)

I was gonna say they've already had the TEGNA Graphics for about a month now.

5 hours ago, Breaking News said:

WBNS is getting the TEGNA mandate tomorrow 😪😪😪

The assimilation has gone full speed ahead despite an uncertain future for TEGNA at this moment. My guess is that all of their remaining stations will have the uniform look before the end of April.

Edited by TennTV1983
  • Sad 1

For those that are saying that no M&A's should take place right now. If I were Tegna I would seriously take the Apollo and Cox bids very seriously based on this quote 

Allen’s offer represents a significant premium to the current price of Tegna shares, which have been buffeted like other media stocks (and just about all stocks) by the market’s recent slump. Tegna closed down 8% Wednesday at $16.02. The volatility, due to deepening fears of the coronavirus pandemic, may make an all-cash offer particularly attractive.

Also I should note that the New York Times made a deal with Oak Hill (which formed Local TV) in 2007 (at a time where the Economic Downturn was just beginning) and I'd be $100 that particular deal was an all-cash deal as well.

It's just the way any M&A in general is going to have to take place until the Stock Market stops the sell off and COVID-19 goes away and thus Gray is going to have to adjust it's bid and go with the flow if they want to stay in the race because right now I believe Apollo and Allen have the advantage in the race for Tegna over Gray.

The key takeaway here is that just because the stock market is down doesn't mean a deal can't be made it's just that the only gurantee way you're going to win in this bid for Tegna is by going all cash. Cash and Stock won't help in this deal where in the past it has. (especially with the stock part)

1 minute ago, oknewsguy said:

For those that are saying that no M&A's should take place right now. If I were Tegna I would seriously take the Apollo and Cox bids very seriously based on this quote 

Also I should note that the New York Times made a deal with Oak Hill (which formed Local TV) in 2007 (at a time where the Economic Downturn was just beginning) and I'd be $100 that particular deal was an all-cash deal as well.

It's just the way any M&A in general is going to have to take place until the Stock Market stops the sell off and COVID-19 goes away and thus Gray is going to have to adjust it's bid and go with the flow if they want to stay in the race because right now I believe Apollo and Allen have the advantage in the race for Tegna over Gray.

The key takeaway here is that just because the stock market is down doesn't mean a deal can't be made it's just that the only gurantee way you're going to win in this bid for Tegna is by going all cash. Cash and Stock won't help in this deal where in the past it has. (especially with the stock part)

I wonder if others step in, like Scripps? Also stock prices will likely recover after the COVID-19 crisis ends.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

I wonder if others step in, like Scripps? Also stock prices will likely recover after the COVID-19 crisis ends.

I wouldn't be surprised if more joins in, while I do agree that the stock market may recover once COVID-19 goes away (if it does) however if Tegna really has to make a deal it's just going have to take bids like Apollo's and Allen's, normally a bid like Gray's would've been fine but right now with the stock market is shaping up it's not.

One way or another I see a sale of Tegna coming soon regardless of where the Stock Market and COVID-19 stands.

Edited by oknewsguy
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Breaking News said:

WBNS is getting the TEGNA mandate tomorrow 😪😪😪

Well, here we are: TEGNAitits has been caught by WBNS/10TV amidst the fever over COVID-19 as of at least the noon newscast. Regarding the music seems that their implementation of the TEGNA mandate is at least somewhat creative. The regular music used for bumpers seems alright, but the breaking news cut used for today's noon open is one of the better cuts from C-Clarity. That being said, would rather have had them continue their use of Aerial (a la WNEP's application of TEGNA material); in talking with a fellow Atmospheric Sciences major about the catchiness of their now previous theme at The Ohio State University's Severe Weather Symposium, it was fun to hum the four-note signature as Ashlee Baracy walked by & I'd imagine she'd noticed because I thought I caught a smirk 🙂

(BTW: This was supposed to be a video of today's noon open, going to try to see if they still have their live streaming page where you can go and even see previous newscasts & go get a screen grab)

Edited by rah6448
  • Like 1