TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

2 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

2 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

In other words, giving a middle finger to Mr. Kim. Smart move there to fight off corporate bullying. 

Sorry to say fellas but Tegna is just as big of a bully as what Mr. Kim is. Is Mr. Kim a bully in this, yes I think he is. But at the same time, we have to look at both sides of the issue here.

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Add another group who wants Tegna to sell or merge....

Enter HG Vora Capital Management, who last had a stake in Tribune, and cashed it out when Nexstar took over....

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tegna-hgvora-exclusive/exclusive-hedge-fund-hg-vora-wants-tegna-to-consider-a-sale-or-merger-sources-idUSKBN1ZK1WP

I think the biggest takeaway from this article is that Apollo does not intend to keep the CMG properties.

In June, Apollo approached Tegna so that Tegna could buy Cox Media Group from Apollo, the letter said, noting that Tegna felt its shareholders would not benefit from such a move.

That said, these Hedge fund companies can stick it where the sun don't shine.

9 minutes ago, Al-SA-TX said:

I think the biggest takeaway from this article is that Apollo does not intend to keep the CMG properties.

That said, these Hedge fund companies can stick it where the sun don't shine.

Calling it now, Tegna will buy Cox in a 3 way merger between those 2 and Standard Media at some point either this year, next year or later on in the 2020s.

• Like 1

If this happens, I so see the TV assets of Hubbard, at least the non-Minnesota assets, in play. KOB is nestled in-between Tegna's assets in Texas and Arizona and WNYT/WNYA and WHEC would be joining this:

• Buffalo: WGRZ (Tegna)
  • Syracuse: WSYT (Cox)
  • Binghamton: WICZ/WBPN (Cox)
  • Elmira: WYDC/WJKP (Standard)

On the New England side - and WNYT probably panders to the Berkshires and Bennington County the most of any Albany station - they'd join this:

• Boston: WFXT (Cox)
  • Hartford: WTIC/WCCT (Tegna)
  • Providence: WLNE (Standard)
  • Portland: WCSH (Tegna)
  • Bangor: WLBZ (Tegna)

The only holes that MechaTegna + non-Minnesota Hubbard would have in the Northeast would be NYC, Burlington, Springfield, Utica, Watertown, and Preque Isle. And I think that Utica might end up off that board as any of these successor companies have a decent chance of landing WKTV. This is nothing to sneeze at. Problem is some of the basket cases there (WSYT, WICZ, WYDC, WLNE) need tons and tons of work.

20 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

We're in Speculatron territory though?

And The whole discussion about Standard/Tegna needs to be split into it's own thread (if the mods are even paying attention)

Edited by oknewsguy

2 minutes ago, Pine Belt Media said:

Sounds like we can expect KFSM to debut TEGNA graphics, etc. in a week or so. They’re currently installing new systems, switchers and things at channel 5. 

The KFSM studio is less than a year old, how does that make a former Tribune, WREG, engineer feel?

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, JCB4TV said:

The KFSM studio is less than a year old, how does that make a former Tribune, WREG, engineer feel?

Yeah, but it's all still Tribune's in-house garbage being replaced.

Anyone with a former Tribune station has to do this, regardless of how old or new the facility is. The WREG engineers are probably too busy planning out installs of their own new toys to care.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Weeters said:

Anyone with a former Tribune station has to do this, regardless of how old or new the facility is. The WREG engineers are probably too busy planning out installs of their own new toys to care.

As I heard it described, Tribune used “duct tape and chicken wire” and TEGNA uses “broadcast equipment”  to work with.  There have been a a couple of newscasts this week that have not gone on-air due to the master control upgrades. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/21/2020 at 4:09 PM, oknewsguy said:

Calling it now, Tegna will buy Cox in a 3 way merger between those 2 and Standard Media at some point either this year, next year or later on in the 2020s.

In order for a Cox-Tegna marriage to work, divestitures would be needed in Atlanta, Charlotte, Jacksonville, Memphis, Seattle, and Spokane.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Weeters said:

I wonder how much of a mess Nexstar had to clean up at KFOR.

On 1/23/2020 at 9:27 PM, Pine Belt Media said:

Sounds like we can expect KFSM to debut TEGNA graphics, etc. in a week or so. They’re currently installing new systems, switchers and things at channel 5. 

I wonder if other former Tribune stations will start debuting the new look soon. I'm guessing the FOX affiliates would want the new look before the Super Bowl next Sunday.

1 hour ago, EastTennesseeWXGeek said:

So I saw this on KFSM's Facebook page. Looks like they could be getting TEGNA-fied just a little.

kfsm tegna.PNG

Glad they are able to keep the slogan--for now at least.

Edited by TheRyan

1 hour ago, EastTennesseeWXGeek said:

So I saw this on KFSM's Facebook page. Looks like they could be getting TEGNA-fied just a little.

kfsm tegna.PNG

The Grammys are on CBS tomorrow night...so I wouldn't be surprised if they get TEGNA-fied on their late news tomorrow.

Edited by jbnews

On 1/22/2020 at 3:45 AM, PTVNews said:

Are these actual Tegna templates or in-house knock-offs? I haven't seen these exact looks before.

Tegna is actually beginning to roll out a slightly updated version of the 2018 look. Stations have been getting a style-guide on how to use the update. Just a few different elements here and there.

• Like 1

I have a question (and someone maybe can answer this one for me):

Is the graphics seen on WTHR actually a refresh of the 2018 graphics or no?

Something tells me that Tegna might be doing a refresh on their graphics and there would be no way that we'd be seeing the how-to guide being rolled out to the Tegna stations. Obviously someone will have to fill me in on that as I don't have inside info as to what's going on at Tegna.

50 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

I have a question (and someone maybe can answer this one for me):

Is the graphics seen on WTHR actually a refresh of the 2018 graphics or no?

Something tells me that Tegna might be doing a refresh on their graphics and there would be no way that we'd be seeing the how-to guide being rolled out to the Tegna stations. Obviously someone will have to fill me in on that as I don't have inside info as to what's going on at Tegna.

WTHR debuted their new graphics?