TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

37 minutes ago, DENDude said:

Not a big fan of C Clarity, however anything is an improvement over KUSA's third street music package used between 1995-2009, that package was long in the tooth when it was retired. 

I would hope they could go for "The Rock" or "NBC LA Groove", but it's tegna media so what am I thinking. 😁

Or "There's No Substitute"... that theme SCREAMS 9NEWS.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, DENDude said:

Not a big fan of C Clarity, however anything is an improvement over KUSA's third street music package used between 1995-2009, that package was long in the tooth when it was retired. 

I would hope they could go for "The Rock" or "NBC LA Groove", but it's tegna media so what am I thinking. 😁

This opinion is making me very uncomfortable. The Rock or NBC News from Groove Worx (cr. 2007), is definitely not in-line with the local branding and feel of the market. Even though the Tegna graphics hub is located here, they have persistently chosen the most bland package to work across multiple markets.

12 minutes ago, groupwfan said:

Or "There's No Substitute"... that theme SCREAMS 9NEWS.

Ironically enough, that very music package that you mentioned was used on KUSA's newscasts during the final three years as an ABC affiliate (1992-95)

• Like 1

If I had things my way, I would have KUSA commission a new theme. Take the musical signature of the 1995 theme and create an update to it.   Alan Koshiyama knocked it out of the park with the 2011 KDVR/KWGN themes.  I think he could do just as a fine job with a theme for KUSA.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/22/2019 at 7:31 PM, oknewsguy said:

Tegna might be putting it's radio stations on the block.

San Diego Reader reported yesterday that Tegna might be selling the KFMB radio stations

So follow-up regarding a possible radio sale. It's happening.

Paperwork posted tonight shows that the two radio stations (KFMB-AM & FM) will be sold to a licensee Local Media San Diego Acquisition, LLC for $5M.

The licensee will be ran by a consortium of owners (including Mel Wheeler Inc., Trivest Investment Partners & Tantara Capital Partners).

This is in reference to this article regarding the sale of KFMB's radio stations 

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/182739/local-media-san-diego-acquires-kfmb-am-fm/

Not a surprise to see Tegna sell it's radio stations, it was likely known for quite some time that Tegna was going to sell the Radio stations

23 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

This is in reference to this article regarding the sale of KFMB's radio stations 

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/182739/local-media-san-diego-acquires-kfmb-am-fm/

Not a surprise to see Tegna sell it's radio stations, it was likely known for quite some time that Tegna was going to sell the Radio stations

Like we used to say in Lone Grove, Ok...

"Just take it behind the barn and shoot it...and hurry back inside to watch the end of Dallas on tv."

Not really much in the way of "closure" for us in that deal.

That makes me sad just to see it die like that.

Edited by Eat News
tofubeats / トーフビーツ -「POSITIVE feat. Dream Ami」 https://youtu.be/LotK800AgNw
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Greggo said:

It was inevitable. Radio isn’t their business. How long till they unload the Dispatch radio stations in Columbus?

I'd say give it about a year to a year and a half and Tegna will probably sell the WBNS radio stations

• Like 1

Here is WKYC's new lineup starting January 13:

11 a.m. – Kelly Clarkson

noon – Live on Lakeside

1 p.m. – Days of Our Lives

2 p.m. – Daily Blast Live (x2)

3 p.m. – Dr. Phil

4 p.m. – Ellen

5 p.m. – 3 News at 5 p.m. (aka “What’s New”)

Notice that "Lunch Break" is missing.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, CLETVFan said:

11 a.m. – Kelly Clarkson

noon – Live on Lakeside

3 p.m. – Dr. Phil

4 p.m. – Ellen

Even though I'm a fan of Tegna's innovation and the revamp of WKYC, I have to laugh that Lunch Break didn't even last 3 months! I liked the show...but I don't think it should be considered a news show, more lifestyle than anything else. Looking forward to "What's New"...Jay and Betsy make a great team!

Edited by jbnews

I give it a few months max (no more than a year) and "What's New" will be back to just a traditional 5pm newscast--as it should be.

2 hours ago, CLETVFan said:

11 a.m. – Kelly Clarkson

noon – Live on Lakeside

3 p.m. – Dr. Phil

4 p.m. – Ellen

Literally not surprised at all.  That was a joke of a "newscast" if I ever did see one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/26/2019 at 12:14 AM, TheRyan said:

I will say that if the WSVN strategy (hard news) was applied to Tegna by Cheatwood, most if not all stations would be serious threats to their competition.  It would seem just the opposite strategy was applied. 

On the subject of WSVN, though the tabloid style is not my favorite (hello GMA) the way WSVN delivered the format in the 90s and 2000s really showed why they dominated South Florida. The hype they brought to the news, especially with music and sets, was unignorable. Their news output is overkill however, imo, but it seems to work favorably for them.

Edited by iron_lion

On 1/1/2020 at 1:11 AM, TheRyan said:

I give it a few months max (no more than a year) and "What's New" will be back to just a traditional 5pm newscast--as it should be.

Literally not surprised at all.  That was a joke of a "newscast" if I ever did see one.

I don't know if it was supposed to be a "newscast". More lifestyle than anything else.

On 12/31/2019 at 12:16 AM, Eat News said:

Like we used to say in Lone Grove, Ok...

"Just take it behind the barn and shoot it...and hurry back inside to watch the end of Dallas on tv."

Not really much in the way of "closure" for us in that deal.

That makes me sad just to see it die like that.

It could be worse, they could have ended up with the Educational Media Foundation.   One of the more notable stations they've taken over is WPLJ to replace with their satellite-fed "Christian Rock".

They're like the OTA Broadcasting or ION of the radio world...sucking up stations.

• 2 weeks later...

Tegna appears to be working on a new website design. WVEC is one of the test stations. https://www.13newsnow.com

https://www.13newsnow.com/article/about-us/13newsnow-new-website-design/291-012a334f-0db6-4721-9511-7b8952192584

Though the URLs could certainly still use work.

Edited by MidwestTV

4 hours ago, MidwestTV said:

Tegna appears to be working on a new website design. WVEC is one of the test stations. https://www.13newsnow.com

https://www.13newsnow.com/article/about-us/13newsnow-new-website-design/291-012a334f-0db6-4721-9511-7b8952192584

Yeah, that string of URL spew at the end is ugly.

A bigger issue, though, is that the site isn't responsive; rather, they're still using a separate mobile site.

Also, the WVEC logo is tiny! It should be at least twice as big, like I've done below.

wvec-logo.png

6 hours ago, MidwestTV said:

I’ll take it over their current design!

Here we go.....

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/top-news/243396/tegna-to-fight-proposed-board-changes/

“The board is also concerned that his significant investments in and influence over other broadcasting companies would create a conflict of interest as a Tegna director.

“Accordingly, the board unanimously determined that adding him to the board is not in the best interests of Tegna and its shareholders. Mr. Kim was informed of the board’s decision on Jan. 10.”

I smell a Tegna-Standard Media merger in the works....and as for the the "best interest of Tegna and their shareholders"... we all know the garbage that Tegna has been putting out.  Time to overhaul the board and make something out of Tegna.

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Here we go.....

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/top-news/243396/tegna-to-fight-proposed-board-changes/

“The board is also concerned that his significant investments in and influence over other broadcasting companies would create a conflict of interest as a Tegna director.

“Accordingly, the board unanimously determined that adding him to the board is not in the best interests of Tegna and its shareholders. Mr. Kim was informed of the board’s decision on Jan. 10.”

I smell a Tegna-Standard Media merger in the works....and as for the the "best interest of Tegna and their shareholders"... we all know the garbage that Tegna has been putting out.  Time to overhaul the board and make something out of Tegna.

Remember the panic when what was then to be called Terrier Media was announced, that the ex-Northwest stations would be an albatross on the legacy Cox stations?

This would make that seem quaint. Standard's stations are all bottom feeders and need work that some C Clarity and NXT graphics and Oooohs just can't fix.

At this point I think it's on especially given what Kim is bringing along with him.

Deb McDermott (currently heads Standard Media)

Colleen Brown (formerly head of Fisher Broadcasting from 2006 until the 2013 sale to Sinclair)

Ellen McClain Haime (formerly VP of Fiance at Hearst and before that she was Senior VP among other roles at Granite)

This is going to get interesting folks, all I will say is enjoy the show.

I should also mention that all of those names I just mentioned those are very high profile names, that may be just what the doctor ordered for Tegna but, I'll belive it when I see it

P.S. I think the Standard-Tegna thing deserves it's own thread.

Edited by oknewsguy

Keep in mind that Soo Kim and Deb McDermott had the Media General and Young stations under their watch, and later merged them with Lin and if they had their way, they would have merged with Meredith instead of Nexstar forcing a hostile takeover of the above...

Had Sinclair gotten Tribune, they would have gotten some higher profile leftovers.

Sure, the former Citadel stations were a mess to begin with, but Tegna needs a serious intervention before they trash more stations with their so-called innovation....

2 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Keep in mind that Soo Kim and Deb McDermott had the Media General and Young stations under their watch, and later merged them with Lin and if they had their way, they would have merged with Meredith instead of Nexstar forcing a hostile takeover of the above...

Had Sinclair gotten Tribune, they would have gotten some higher profile leftovers.

Sure, the former Citadel stations were a mess to begin with, but Tegna needs a serious intervention before they trash more stations with their so-called innovation....

However bad WLNE and KLKN are, whatever Tegna is doing now would be a marked improvement and both markets are so stale that it would be a breath of fresh air.

The real factor here would be the ex-Waypoint stations. Those are hot messes at best and lost causes at worst and would be a massive headache for anyone to deal with. The situation Cox management is facing with the ex-Northwest stations pales to this.

On that tangent: If Tegna/Standard becomes a thing, why does the idea of Coxpollo unloading WFXT and perhaps some of the ex-Northwest lost cuses (KYMA and KPVI come to mind) to Tegna sound like a doable transaction?