TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

On 12/5/2019 at 6:24 PM, MidwestTV said:

I simply cannot imagine MCTYW surviving, not with out stringent Tegna is on it's look.

Do not hold out hope for Move Closer To Your World sticking around. Tegna (then Gannet) shattered my dreams when it ripped the Spirit Of Texas out from under WFAA for no good reason at all.

This company’s main goal in life is to take away anything that made a station unique, watchable and likable and replace it with cheaply designed, grossly underpaid, non-focus grouped cow manure. 

Thus, they will take great pleasure in sending MCTYW down the Lougee Loo and replacing it with their new age scat-snap-and-clap-fest as the viewers of NE PA light their torches and call for some heads—that I can assure you. 

They will spit in the faces of their valued viewers and laugh as they smash WNEP under their boots. 

As an aside, can someone please bring back Belo? I will buy you lunch!

(For context: I’m not some old fart reminiscing about the good old days. I’m in my early-mid twenties, you know, the demographic Tegna is trying to reach with their crap. Just sayin’.)

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

Edited by MarkBRollins88_v2
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 6

2 hours ago, who?cares said:

WTHR is using the Tegna graphics for weather cut-ins at Pacers games. 

I guess they'll be launching on-air sooner rather than later. The GM originally told me the look would launch after November (I interpreted it as December), then he told me March 2020. Wonder what happened.

Edited by jbnews

Whoever calling the shots at Tegna is a prime example of someone who lacks common sense to learn from their mistakes.  Forcing "C Clarity" and those gfx on WTHR and WBNS will not end well for those stations, sadly.  It hasn't worked well on any station, and it will not work on those stations either.

If someone wants to "dislike" my comment, go ahead.  But it won't change my opinions on that one inch.

Edited by TheRyan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 6
  • Concerned 1

40 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

Whoever calling the shots at Tegna is a prime example of someone who lacks common sense to learn from their mistakes.  Forcing "C Clarity" and those gfx on WTHR and WBNS will not end well for those stations, sadly.  It hasn't worked well on any station, and it will not work on those stations either.

If someone wants to "dislike" my comment, go ahead.  But it won't change my opinions on that one inch.

the big lebowski opinion GIF

do you have any evidence to support those claims??? seems to me like a lot of tegna stations are doing fine... even winning awards for their work!!! 

there is no evidence whatsoever that the graphics and the music have impacted viewership... just a tvnt conspiracy theory... the format??? maybe... but the graphics??? who cares??? one person on facebook???

if you all had your way and brought the industry back to the roarin' 90's that you all consider the golden age... the industry would be dead by 2021.

tegna made $552 million last quarter... 2% more than last year... sounds to me like they're doing fine...

• Like 3
  • Concerned 3

28 minutes ago, Webovision said:

the big lebowski opinion GIF

do you have any evidence to support those claims??? seems to me like a lot of tegna stations are doing fine... even winning awards for their work!!! 

there is no evidence whatsoever that the graphics and the music have impacted viewership... just a tvnt conspiracy theory... the format??? maybe... but the graphics??? who cares??? one person on facebook???

if you all had your way and brought the industry back to the roarin' 90's that you all consider the golden age... the industry would be dead by 2021.

tegna made $552 million last quarter... 2% more than last year... sounds to me like they're doing fine...

I’ll remind you I was born in the roarin’ 90’s and can tell you tegna’s approach is stupid and condescending to people my age because it’s transparent that they are trying too hard to appeal to us, rather than just do good work. 

news flash: most people in my generation don’t watch the news on TV. So stop trying to appeal to them. Appeal to the people you know will watch. Just a suggestion. 

By the way... to me, TV news peaked in about 2011 or so. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 12/8/2019 at 10:30 PM, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

Do not hold out hope for Move Closer To Your World sticking around. Tegna (then Gannet) shattered my dreams when it ripped the Spirit Of Texas out from under WFAA for no good reason at all.

This company’s main goal in life is to take away anything that made a station unique, watchable and likable and replace it with cheaply designed, grossly underpaid, non-focus grouped cow manure. 

Thus, they will take great pleasure in sending MCTYW down the Lougee Loo and replacing it with their new age scat-snap-and-clap-fest as the viewers of NE PA light their torches and call for some heads—that I can assure you. 

They will spit in the faces of their valued viewers and laugh as they smash WNEP under their boots. 

As an aside, can someone please bring back Belo? I will buy you lunch!

(For context: I’m not some old fart reminiscing about the good old days. I’m in my early-mid twenties, you know, the demographic Tegna is trying to reach with their crap. Just sayin’.)

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

All I've got to say is BRAVO.  I hereby nominate you for the "Post of the Year."

13 minutes ago, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

I’ll remind you I was born in the roarin’ 90’s and can tell you tegna’s approach is stupid and condescending to people my age because it’s transparent that they are trying too hard to appeal to us, rather than just do good work. 

news flash: most people in my generation don’t watch the news on TV. So stop trying to appeal to them. Appeal to the people you know will watch. Just a suggestion. 

And I agree, it's an insult for Tegna to assume we want junk food for news programming.  I want intelligent and serious newscasts--not trendy, overhyped, and ingenuine low IQ shows.

I thank you @MarkBRollins88_v2 for perfectly articulating my thoughts of Tegna.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

Isn't this every major industry, though? Everyone tries to appeal to the younger crowd, and they always have. That's been the target demographic for everything since the beginning of time. How many faces can you find in the Coca-Cola Hilltop ad that don't appear to be under 35? That wasn't a coincidence.

There are quite a few retail chain CEOs out there that now regret "appealing to the people you know". Didn't work out too well for Sears, K-Mart, or about a dozen other large retail establishments in just the past couple years. Times changed, they did not, and instead of being a leader, they trailed behind, struggling to catch up until they couldn't go on any more. Nothing was stopping Sears from being the first to offer online ordering. In fact, they dismantled their catalog operation the year before Amazon was founded, in the process destroying the infrastructure that could have easily ported over to online orders. They could have cornered the market in online retail if some people in their corporate office just went "What about the internet? What if we let people submit orders through the internet? What if we put the entire catalog on the internet and made it searchable?" Would it have been a crazy idea at the time? Yes. Would it have cost a fortune at the time? Yes. But today, we'd be saying "I just ordered new shoes off Sears, my groceries are being delivered by Sears Fresh, and tonight I'm going to sit down and watch some stuff on Sears Prime." "Amazon" would just be a rainforest in South America.

TV executives are well aware that people of all ages are turning from linear TV. Many TV companies are starting to admit this with the "Digital First" concept. They are creating content with the express purpose of said content being posted online. The TV product is NOT their primary focus. The TV product essentially serves as a compilation of the things that have been posted online. This is the transitional period. This is where Sears should have been in 1994: Grandma could still get the Catalog (the TV broadcast), but Junior has the power of the Internet (the Internet) to find exactly what they want, without wasting time thumbing through the entire damn catalog (a traditional linear TV news broadcast). 

What is yet to be seen is whether or not it will work. If it does? Good. If the only way to keep people informed about the happenings in their world is through clips that last less than a minute, at least they're staying informed. If it doesn't? Well, some of the most recent TV facility builds already look enough like a tech startup office that selling them shouldn't be too hard.

• Like 8

16 hours ago, who?cares said:

WTHR is using the Tegna graphics for weather cut-ins at Pacers games. 

Did this just start? Anyone can answer this- but now that they are starting to use the wx graphics a bit- how long until the entire graphics package and music debuts on TV?

23 hours ago, Weeters said:

Isn't this every major industry, though? Everyone tries to appeal to the younger crowd, and they always have. That's been the target demographic for everything since the beginning of time. How many faces can you find in the Coca-Cola Hilltop ad that don't appear to be under 35? That wasn't a coincidence.

There are quite a few retail chain CEOs out there that now regret "appealing to the people you know". Didn't work out too well for Sears, K-Mart, or about a dozen other large retail establishments in just the past couple years. Times changed, they did not, and instead of being a leader, they trailed behind, struggling to catch up until they couldn't go on any more. Nothing was stopping Sears from being the first to offer online ordering. In fact, they dismantled their catalog operation the year before Amazon was founded, in the process destroying the infrastructure that could have easily ported over to online orders. They could have cornered the market in online retail if some people in their corporate office just went "What about the internet? What if we let people submit orders through the internet? What if we put the entire catalog on the internet and made it searchable?" Would it have been a crazy idea at the time? Yes. Would it have cost a fortune at the time? Yes. But today, we'd be saying "I just ordered new shoes off Sears, my groceries are being delivered by Sears Fresh, and tonight I'm going to sit down and watch some stuff on Sears Prime." "Amazon" would just be a rainforest in South America.

TV executives are well aware that people of all ages are turning from linear TV. Many TV companies are starting to admit this with the "Digital First" concept. They are creating content with the express purpose of said content being posted online. The TV product is NOT their primary focus. The TV product essentially serves as a compilation of the things that have been posted online. This is the transitional period. This is where Sears should have been in 1994: Grandma could still get the Catalog (the TV broadcast), but Junior has the power of the Internet (the Internet) to find exactly what they want, without wasting time thumbing through the entire damn catalog (a traditional linear TV news broadcast). 

What is yet to be seen is whether or not it will work. If it does? Good. If the only way to keep people informed about the happenings in their world is through clips that last less than a minute, at least they're staying informed. If it doesn't? Well, some of the most recent TV facility builds already look enough like a tech startup office that selling them shouldn't be too hard.

Just because TV isn’t the main focus doesn’t mean you can’t still put a quality product on air. See Hearst, Griffin, Hubbard, Graham etc.

To use the online shopping analogy, Target still makes their brick and mortar stores nice and clean even though more people are shopping online. 

They even incorporate some online elements like online grocery pickup.

But they don’t change the way their stores feel. You’ll still get the same shopping experience inside you always have. That option is still available. When the day comes that no one wants to shop in stores anymore... great, take the stores away. But there’s no need to lessen the experience while they still exist. 

It is possible to make both your web content AND TV content have quality while acknowledging one is on its way out. 

Also, I would say major industries like Coca-Cola have a reason to appeal to the young crowd because they want to hook people while they’re young and make them customers for life.

But since we know young people aren’t watching TV, there’s no point to appeal to them on TV when they’re never going to be your audience in the first place. 

Putting TV news marketing and Soda marketing in the same category is an apples and oranges scenario. You’re talking about two totally different customer bases. 

However, your online product should definitely appeal to them, because you do want to hook them there. We know young people prefer to get their news from the internet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

Just because TV isn’t the main focus doesn’t mean you can’t still put a quality product on air. See Hearst, Griffin, Hubbard, Graham etc.

To use the online shopping analogy, Target still makes their brick and mortar stores nice and clean even though more people are shopping online. 

it is possible to make both your web content AND TV content have quality while acknowledging one is on its way out. 

Also, I would say major industries like Coca-Cola have a reason to appeal to the young crowd because they want to hook people while they’re young and make them customers for life.

But since we know young people aren’t watching TV, there’s no point to appeal to them on TV when they’re never going to be your audience in the first place. 

Putting TV news marketing and Soda marketing in the same category is an apples and oranges scenario. 

However, your online product should definitely appeal to them, because you do want to hook them there. We know young people prefer to get their news from the internet.

Absolutely agree again, and if there is ever a merger of the Internet and TV (ATSC 3.0 is an early indication that we may be heading in that direction), then the TV product must be high quality anyway in preparation for any eventuality.   In any case, it's never wrong to strive for the best possible product.

If Hearst is successful with producing a stellar gfx pkg and music, then Tegna can and should do better.   

There are many fads in life, and I can guarantee you that "C Clarity" is one of those fads.   Is it any wonder why you still hear music pkgs like Signature, Primetime News, MCTYW, Eyewitness News, and others on-the-air decades after they were first introduced (albeit with updates in many cases)?  The composers of those pkgs used their talent to create iconic music packages that have survived the passage of time.  "C Clarity" lacks any memorable element whatsoever. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

Absolutely agree again, and if there is ever a merger of the Internet and TV (ATSC 3.0 is an early indication that we may be heading in that direction), then the TV product must be high quality anyway in preparation for any eventuality.   In any case, it's never wrong to strive for the best possible product.

If Hearst is successful with producing a stellar gfx pkg and music, then Tegna can and should do better.   

There are many fads in life, and I can guarantee you that "C Clarity" is one of those fads.   Is it any wonder why you still hear music pkgs like Signature, Primetime News, MCTYW, Eyewitness News, and others on-the-air decades after they were first introduced (albeit with updates in many cases)?  The composers of those pkgs used their talent to create iconic music packages that have survived the passage of time.  "C Clarity" lacks any memorable element whatsoever. 

Not to mention, Hearst has been using Strive since 2013 and it hasn’t aged a bit. Hard to find a music package in circulation that long that still sounds just as cutting-edge as the day it started. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

Not to mention, Hearst has been using Strive since 2013 and it hasn’t aged a bit. Hard to find a music package in circulation that long that still sounds just as cutting-edge as the day it started. 

Although I don't like the package, Aerial hasn't aged since its commission in 2010.

• Thanks 2
  • Concerned 2

On 12/17/2019 at 1:50 AM, TheRyan said:

I've been meaning to say this for a while now:

There are many things to argue about with these station groups: inherent editorial biases, incompetent newsrooms/production, even graphical presentation can be considered. But if you're simply griping about news music -- arguably about a total of 30 seconds to 1 minute of a 30-minute broadcast -- you're overreacting.

Now while C Clarity is not a traditional "news" package, but it's not a bad package by any stretch of the imagination. Granted those longer lived packages are synonymous with the stations they are with, they are aged DO age, and they show their age. The music is fine. It's just modern, and everyone loves to hate anything modern.  Just imagine if everyone was still using the music they used in 1970 -- every market would be suffering with a WJZ 1987 - 2017. sound.

As an aside: NONE of those packages you mention are widely used: Signature is in use by six stations nationwide, all in sub-100 TV markets, Primetime News is used by one broadcast and a handful of cable stations, and we all know who uses MCTYW. Eyewitness News is the exception, which most likely occurs because it's a staple in the three largest markets in the country on stations O&O'd by The Mouse, except of course the one who uses MCTYW and that weird Fresno market 🤷🏽‍♀️. The ONLY other broadcast stations still using EWN are WLNE Providence, WJRT Flint,  WBAY Green Bay and also a handful of sub-100 DMA stations.

Edited by KevCor
see the italics.
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, KevCor said:

I've been meaning to say this for a while now:

There are many things to argue about with these station groups: inherent editorial biases, incompetent newsrooms/production, even graphical presentation can be considered. But if you're simply griping about news music -- arguably about a total of 30 seconds to 1 minute of a 30-minute broadcast -- you're overreacting.

Now while C Clarity is not a traditional "news" package, but it's not a bad package by any stretch of the imagination. Granted those longer lived packages are synonymous with the stations they are with, they are aged DO age, and they show their age. The music is fine. It's just modern, and everyone loves to hate anything modern.  Just imagine if everyone was still using the music they used in 1970 -- every market would be suffering with a WJZ 1987 - 2017. sound.

As an aside: NONE of those packages you mention are widely used: Signature is in use by six stations nationwide, all in sub-100 TV markets, Primetime News is used by one broadcast and a handful of cable stations, and we all know who uses MCTYW. Eyewitness News is the exception, which most likely occurs because it's a staple in the three largest markets in the country on stations O&O'd by The Mouse (except of course the one who uses MCTYW) and that weird Fresno market 🤷🏽‍♀️. The ONLY other station still using EWN is Standard Media's are also sub-100 DMA stations.

Providence, RI is NOT a sub 100 market (they're in DMA #53).

• Like 1