TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

This one here is as @TheRolyPoly described it on his blog is historic a quote from the article 

So why is this historic you might ask? Because this new program will lead to program changes that’ll see the end of an original. WFMY’s The Good Morning Show started in 1957 and is the longest-running local morning newscast in the United States. One of its hours includes the original 7:00 a.m. hour when the program debuted.

So this is significant in a sense that this will now leave Griffin's KOTV as the only CBS affiliate in the country to run CBS This Morning out of pattern.

I imagine this has to have been part of the new affiliation agreement between CBS and Tegna and apparently like what CBS did to Gray's WTOC, essentially told WFMY to run CTM in pattern, which is a shame.

25 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

This one here is as @TheRolyPoly described it on his blog is historic a quote from the article 

So this is significant in a sense that this will now leave Griffin's KOTV as the only CBS affiliate in the country to run CBS This Morning out of pattern.

I imagine this has to have been part of the new affiliation agreement between CBS and Tegna and apparently like what CBS did to Gray's WTOC, essentially told WFMY to run CTM in pattern, which is a shame.

I see it as a sign CBS is trying very hard to rescue their ratings on their network newscasts, as they remain a distant #3 for both CBS This Morning and CBS Evening News, and getting much worse with new hosts and leadership...if they are making demands like that in regards to WFMY.      

Let's hope KOTV doesn't also get forced into dropping their 7am newscast on their main signal (KOTV).  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheRyan said:

I see it as a sign CBS is trying very hard to rescue their ratings on their network newscasts, as they remain a distant #3 for both CBS This Morning and CBS Evening News, and getting much worse with new hosts and leadership...if they are making demands like that in regards to WFMY.      

Let's hope KOTV doesn't also get forced into dropping their 7am newscast on their main signal (KOTV).  

If they do, they'll always have KQCW to continue post-7am news. I think CBS may force them to air it in-pattern in the near future, if trends are any indication.

I remember when CBS mandated all affiliates to air both hours of the Early Show, KOTV compromised by starting it at 8am and moving the last hour of their morning show to KQCW. They used to air it 5-9am on KOTV.

Edited by Georgie56
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Georgie56 said:

If they do, they'll always have KQCW to continue post-7am news. I think CBS may force them to air it in-pattern in the near future, if trends are any indication.

I remember when CBS mandated all affiliates to air both hours of the Early Show, KOTV compromised by starting it at 8am and moving the last hour of their morning show to KQCW. They used to air it 5-9am on KOTV.

And see that's where the bad part comes in for WFMY, they don't have a duopoly partner to be able to continue the 7am newscast and I think this is where WFMY will likely lose some of the viewers in the morning to stations like WGHP and WXII/WCWG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oknewsguy said:

And see that's where the bad part comes in for WFMY, they don't have a duopoly partner to be able to continue the 7am newscast and I think this is where WFMY will likely lose some of the viewers in the morning to stations like WGHP and WXII/WCWG

I checked Wikipedia and it turns out that WFMY has actually 3 sub-channels: Justice Network, WeatherNation TV, and Quest.    Probably not likely, but I wonder if WFMY could consider running the 7am hour on one of those channels.  At least WFMY wouldn't lose that hour of morning news that has really become important TV history, certainly for that market.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheRyan said:

I checked Wikipedia and it turns out that WFMY has actually 3 sub-channels: Justice Network, WeatherNation TV, and Quest.    Probably not likely, but I wonder if WFMY could consider running the 7am hour on one of those channels.  At least WFMY wouldn't lose that hour of morning news that has really become important TV history, certainly for that market.

They could certainly do that or once CBS starts rolling out the localized versions of CBSN beyond the O&Os, WFMY restores the 7am hour at that point when they launch their own version of CBSN.

I know CBS hasn't said they'll roll out the localized CBSN's to groups like Tegna but it would make sense for CBS to do that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oknewsguy said:

They could certainly do that or once CBS starts rolling out the localized versions of CBSN beyond the O&Os, WFMY restores the 7am hour at that point when they launch their own version of CBSN.

I know CBS hasn't said they'll roll out the localized CBSN's to groups like Tegna but it would make sense for CBS to do that.

But since WFMY already produces the 7am hour (which ends after tomorrow), I don't see why they couldn't opt out of programing on one of those sub-channels and carry it as an extension of the morning show.

I would think these discussions have already happened (or are taking place) behind closed doors at WFMY/Tegna.  So I'm thinking this is not likely to happen, but it would make sense to me to keep the hour via a subchannel.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

But since WFMY already produces the 7am hour (which ends after tomorrow), I don't see why they couldn't opt out of programing on one of those sub-channels and carry it as an extension of the morning show.

I would think these discussions have already happened (or are taking place) behind closed doors at WFMY/Tegna.  So I'm thinking this is not likely to happen, but it would make sense to me to keep the hour via a subchannel.

That too would be an option.

Eitther way I don't see an end of The Good Morning Show in the 7am hour, I think Tegna should recognize that this is a piece of history in the Piedmont Triad

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Looking at the guide, next Monday (12/2), as they're going to debut a new local 4pm show entitled Four2Five, WFMY will be dropping its 7am portion of the Good Morning Show to air CBS This Morning in-pattern from 7-9am. Ellen moves from 4pm to 9am.

One would have to wonder what kind of ratings Ellen has been getting in Greensboro, NC. I’d have to assume they’re not good enough with this kind of downgrade.

13 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

I would suspect many would think moving the Ellen to 3pm would be a better option. But I guess they probably want to clear Daily Blast Live since it probably don't have an earlier feed.

I feel like moving the 7am newscast to 9am would've been the better option, move Daytime Jeopardy to an overnight slot air DBL at 12 (I think they do provide a feed for that slot) and just bump Ellen to 3.

Because the way I view their new schedule now, the Four 2 Five is not going to get very good ratings because their lead-in is not that good.

Edited by oknewsguy

3 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

I feel like moving the 7am newscast to 9am would've been the better option, move Daytime Jeopardy to an overnight slot air DBL at 12 (I think they do provide a feed for that slot) and just bump Ellen to 3.

Because the way I view their new schedule now, the Four 2 Five is not going to get very good ratings because their lead-in is not that good.

Well if they bring back ole Andy Griffin then they might have ratings jump through the roof. That used to be their lead in

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bhratbrat said:

Well if they bring back ole Andy Griffin then they might have ratings jump through the roof. That used to be their lead in

I wouldn't be surprised to see more viewers flip over to WXII and WGHP going forward especially with the loss of both the 7am newscast and Andy Griffith

Edited by oknewsguy
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see more viewers flip over to WXII and WGHP going forward especially with the loss of both the 7am newscast and Andy Griffith

And I would say that is highly likely.  Especially true for WGHP, imo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

And I would say that is highly likely.  Especially true for WGHP, imo.

WXII has put in a lot of effort into the newscasts on WCWG so they might have something to say.

Either way this is a big blow to WFMY losing the 7am hour but I'd be curious about how well the Good Morning Show was doing in the 7am hour especially against the likes of WGHP and WCWG (via WXII)

• Thanks 1

(Cross-posted from "The '3' Thread" in Graphics)

It appears that the new look, logo, format, and graphics are only working for WKYC at 11pm (a.k.a. "What's Next").  They have cake to prove it!

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2019/12/2/cleveland-cake-wars

The 6pm, morning, and Noon programs are not doing as great as they should be. 

• "What Matters Most" is 3rd at 6pm (my guess is WJW is 1st with WEWS at 2nd) 
  • "Go!" is tied for 2nd/3rd in the morning (likely with WEWS since WJW is 1st, though WOIO is touting in promos that they are growing in the AM ratings-wise, so they might be taking away WKYC's viewership) 
  • "Lunch Break" is 4th at Noon (the other three, including WOIO, are doing better in that slot!)

I think the new "3News" is struggling a bit with only the 11pm show a success.

2 hours ago, CLETVFan said:

It appears that the new look, logo, format, and graphics are only working for WKYC at 11pm (a.k.a. "What's Next").  They have cake to prove it!

• "Go!" is tied for 2nd/3rd in the morning (likely with WEWS since WJW is 1st, though WOIO is touting in promos that they are growing in the AM ratings-wise, so they might be taking away WKYC's viewership) 
  • "Lunch Break" is 4th at Noon (the other three, including WOIO, are doing better in that slot!)

Who decorated that WKYC cake? A 3 year old?

• Haha 4

The only reason that "3News" is doing well at 11pm is because of NBC's primetime lead-ins. "Lunch Break" makes sense because WKYC hasn't had a noon newscast in that slot in a while so it'll take time to establish. Mornings? Yeah I was expecting that since WJW is the 800-lb gorilla and WOIO is just there. 6pm? That's shocking, especially considering Ellen is a lead-in. The question is what happens when the 5pm newscast comes online come January and the February books start.

"Lunch Break" is 4th at Noon (the other three, including WOIO, are doing better in that slot!)

Well whenever I come to Cleveland to visit my aunt and uncle, I do watch WOIO at Noon, and its a very well put together newscast. The fact that it is able to compete is not a surprise. WJW is I'm assuming #1 in that time slot. 

IMO, after watching both WKYC and WOIO (I visited for Thanksgiving), WOIO is definitely the better, more well organized station. 

As far as WATN goes, it's not really like getting bought by Tegna could make things much worse.  But stations like KFSM have a lot to lose by being under Tegna ownership.  For example, KFSM has been a reliable news station for years in NW Arkansas.  Now, Tegna might change that. 

And as for WNEP, Tegna would be incredibly foolish if they dumped MCTYW as their theme.  The viewers will not be happy if they did, and I wouldn't blame them.  It's a great theme and a great asset to the station.  At the least, I'd expect the station to get standardized with graphics.  We'll see what Tegna does about the music, but I'm not holding my breath much that Tegna makes the wise call

Edited by TheRyan
  • Like 3

WKYC announces its new 5pm team, and the show's name:

"What's New with Jay Crawford and Betsy Kling"

More info here.

No word on who else will be part of the broadcast, and what will happen to the current 2-6pm block on 3.

As for the title, it reminds of that Linda Ronstadt back in the early 1980's.

4 hours ago, TheRyan said:

As far as WATN goes, it's not really like getting bought by Tegna could make things much worse.  But stations like KFSM have a lot to lose by being under Tegna ownership.  For example, KFSM has been a reliable news station for years in NW Arkansas.  Now, Tegna might change that. 

And as for WNEP, Tegna would be incredibly foolish if they dumped MCTYW as their theme.  The viewers will not be happy if they did, and I wouldn't blame them.  It's a great theme and a great asset to the station.  At the least, I'd expect the station to get standardized with graphics.  We'll see what Tegna does about the music, but I'm not holding my breath much that Tegna makes the wise call

I simply cannot imagine MCTYW surviving, not with out stringent Tegna is on it's look.

• Like 1