TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

22 hours ago, 24994J said:

Content is key, of course, but THIS ACTUALLY MAKES SENSE. Nice nod by TEGNA and station leadership, for once.

But the WHAS 11 News Night Team will be so much different than the Action 11 News Night Team from back in the day. No TEGNA or social media influence back then. Big difference.

On 11/10/2019 at 5:37 PM, 24994J said:

Content is key, of course, but THIS ACTUALLY MAKES SENSE. Nice nod by TEGNA and station leadership, for once.

I've watched a little bit of it. It's higher energy, tries to feature 3 live reporters (studio or field), a review of the day's top stories (called "The Rewind"), and live teases in the A block of what's coming up "In the Next 5 Minutes" before getting back to the news. Set is lit darker and they make better use of the V1 set-in-a-box 5x1 monitor array. Sounds like some different cuts of C-Clarity too.

On 11/10/2019 at 6:53 PM, DirtyHarry said:

C-Clarity

Which begs to the question to me, has C-Clairty secretly been updated, or am I just hearing cuts that weren't being used before?

On 11/12/2019 at 1:08 PM, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

Out of curiosity do we know why it's taking so long for WTHR and WBNS to be "Tegna-fied"?? I know when they acquired KFMB it didn't take 4 months... I'm not expecting the newly acquired properties to get it for some time....

As mentioned elsewhere, there are some stations that still have the look of their previous ownership and have been owned by a new company for over 1 or 2 years. I don't know what KFMB's situation was, but it's possible they already had infrastructure in place to handle the Tegna look. If WTHR and WBNS don't, that will take time. As also mentioned, changing the artistic on air look isn't always the highest priority when a new owner takes over. There's an even smaller chance that 'THR and 'BNS somehow convinced Tegna to keep their look.

• Like 4

On 11/12/2019 at 1:08 PM, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

Out of curiosity do we know why it's taking so long for WTHR and WBNS to be "Tegna-fied"?? I know when they acquired KFMB it didn't take 4 months... I'm not expecting the newly acquired properties to get it for some time....

Not sure about WBNS, but I've been told by a source at WTHR that they will switch sometime after this month. Sounds like the new look will debut in December.

For a long time it was rumored that WBNS was going to get a new building, which makes sense since the current building dates back to 1949 and has been expanded at least three or four times. Tegna seems to like to lease space instead of owning, which might make things more affordable. Big corporations don't like to own real estate anyway.

Do they finally get nice digs like WKYC?

Edited by DirtyHarry
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, TheRyan said:

Wouldn't they want to make a big switch like that at the start of sweeps?

No,

You want to work out all the little bugs that will occur live on the air anyway.

Best to have it perfected before sweeps begin....because there WILL be problems.

Edited by Eat News
Epstein didn't kill himself...
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, DirtyHarry said:

WBNS put up two more subchannels today. 10.4 is a test pattern but it says TBD, 10.5 is Quest. 

10.1 looks a little glassy. I think they're trying to cram too much into their signal with 5 sub channels. Just don't get rid of Me TV.

10.4 could likely be Justice.  It's owned by Tegna, even though it's on the low-powered reincarnation of GTN after they sold WSFJ to Trinity.

26 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

10.4 could likely be Justice.  It's owned by Tegna, even though it's on the low-powered reincarnation of GTN after they sold WSFJ to Trinity.

Believe it or not, Bounce 23 does a pretty good job being local. Bounce has some local community oriented programming. They also do local cut-ins on Justice. I don't know what their call letters are now (WQ??-LD) but they used to be W23BZ.

1 hour ago, DirtyHarry said:

WBNS put up two more subchannels today. 10.4 is a test pattern but it says TBD, 10.5 is Quest. 

10.1 looks a little glassy. I think they're trying to cram too much into their signal with 5 sub channels. Just don't get rid of Me TV.

That is a lot for a 1080i primary channel. Now bitrates aren’t everything but according to RabbitEars.info they are fixed currently at 12Mbps which is around the average bitrate for a 1080i channel at 12.34Mbps.

Now keep in mind it’s possible there are several NBC/TELEMUNDO  stations with dual 1080i channels and two SDs (soon to be three) that manage to look good.  Maybe they need to update their encoder? However I’m not sure how good a 2Mbps 1080i picture is

Edited by rkolsen
  • Like 2

10.4 is still bars and tone. MeTV (10.2) is HD though, which it wasn't when it was WCMH's 4.2. I was going to say Quest isn't HD, but it might just be this show. On my 48" set their crystal bug and Quest's in-show promos are definitely HD. 

Edited by H4UL4U
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, H4UL4U said:

10.4 is still bars and tone. MeTV (10.2) is HD though, which it wasn't when it was WCMH's 4.2. I was going to say Quest isn't HD, but it might just be this show. On my 48" set their crystal bug and Quest's in-show promos are definitely HD. 

Well Quest airs as 480i on my local Tegna station.  Wikipedia also lists the picture format for the Quest network as 480i.

My thinking is that WBNS will keep MeTV, at least for now.  I'd assume they would bump MeTV to a lower subchannel if they planned to remove them later on, unless they were contractually obligated to keep them on the .2 subchannel.

2 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

Believe it or not, Bounce 23 does a pretty good job being local. Bounce has some local community oriented programming. They also do local cut-ins on Justice. I don't know what their call letters are now (WQ??-LD) but they used to be W23BZ.

Looks like the station you mentioned is WQMC-LD

Edited by TheRyan
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, H4UL4U said:

I'm pretty sure they are all 16:9/480i. But I agree, 480i can look real good sometimes.

I'll tell you who has a good-looking channel and that's Daystar at 1080i (WCLL-CD Channel 19). Not that I watch a lot of that stuff, but their video work on some of their shows when I am flipping through channels is very eye-catching.

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, DirtyHarry said:

Yup, 10.4 is now Justice. The TV says 16:9, but they're showing it at 4:3 with the side curtains. Justice is also still on 23.2 at a full 16:9 (and better picture quality).

Is 10.4’s pillarboxing showing a station logo or just black? If it’s black likely the program is being transmitted that way. 

19 minutes ago, rkolsen said:

Is 10.4’s pillarboxing showing a station logo or just black? If it’s black likely the program is being transmitted that way. 

Just black. But it's basically a simulcast of what's showing on 23.2, which is in full 16: 9. Weird. 

Does Tegna make any money from these networks? It seems like a real small niche.

Does Tegna make any money from these networks? It seems like a real small niche.

In the beginning the likes of MeTV paid for carriage or barter. However now with them at least I can see the stations paying for MeTV. Other nets probably start out paying for carriage. 

Just black. But it's basically a simulcast of what's showing on 23.2, which is in full 16: 9. Weird. 

Does the image seem compressed from 23.2 like fitting the 16:9 image in 4:3 or just center cutting it. 

21 hours ago, rkolsen said:

Does the image seem compressed from 23.2 like fitting the 16:9 image in 4:3 or just center cutting it. 

I see what's going on now. It looks like it's a 4:3 transmission from the source, but it's being stretched out to 16:9 on Channel 23.2.

EDIT: It looks like it's supposed to be 16:9 and WBNS is squeezing it. It may just be a glitch.

Edited by DirtyHarry

Looks like WFMY is the latest CBS station to finally placing CBS This Morning in-pattern like the other stations.

Looking at the guide, next Monday (12/2), as they're going to debut a new local 4pm show entitled Four2Five, WFMY will be dropping its 7am portion of the Good Morning Show to air CBS This Morning in-pattern from 7-9am. Ellen moves from 4pm to 9am.

Edited by CircleSeven