TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

9 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

CBS left the market years ago when they sold their Columbus stations to Wilks, who subsequently sold their Columbus stations to Urban One, setting off a flurry of format changes and swaps.  Radio One got 95.5 and 107.1 while Salem got 98.9 (whose format moved to 95.5).

It would be interesting if Entercom enters the market since they absorbed CBS Radio.

The Columbus radio market makes my head hurt with all of the move-ins and format swaps over the years.  I doubt the new owners (if they are sold) flip WBNS back to music, especially with the FM-talk fad being here to stay.

(But if they do, maybe 107.9 can pick up the sports format, as they have done with ALL of WBNS' formats in recent years....)

Dare I say it...EMF doesn't have a station in Columbus.....yet...

Saga took Q-FM-96 (WLVQ) from Wilks. I think Blue Chip/Urban One sold 98.9 to Salem, which also has two translators. EMF is also on a translator. 

Remember, the sale price for WBNS Radio was $35 million, which is probably based on some kind of income multiple. That's the kind of price stations in places like Chicago and New York are going for these days. It'll be interesting to see if anybody is willing to pay that kind of money. Tegna may be stuck with those stations.

On 10/23/2019 at 2:29 PM, oknewsguy said:

Looks like they're taking a page from WHAS whose morning show is also called "Wake Up." Though I'm perplexed by the "Central." Central because they're in central Arkansas? Central portion of the country (except not really)? I'll be curious to see if they use the WHAS Wake Up graphics (they had a special package made just for the morning show). Unfortunately, there isn't anything on youtube. That's unfortunate because WHAS put together an incredibly unique promo for the show that THV tried to mimic and did so VERY poorly.

15 minutes ago, MidwestTV said:

Looks like they're taking a page from WHAS whose morning show is also called "Wake Up." Though I'm perplexed by the "Central." Central because they're in central Arkansas? Central portion of the country (except not really)? I'll be curious to see if they use the WHAS Wake Up graphics (they had a special package made just for the morning show). Unfortunately, there isn't anything on youtube. That's unfortunate because WHAS put together an incredibly unique promo for the show that THV tried to mimic and did so VERY poorly.

That's gotta be what it is. For instance, the University of Central Arkansas is in Conway, and there do seem to be some orgs based in Little Rock with "Central Arkansas" in their name: Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Arkansas, Central Arkansas Water (the metropolitan water authority), the Central Arkansas Library System (main library in Little Rock)...

17 minutes ago, MidwestTV said:

They're probably referring the "Central" part of the branding as in "Central Arkansas" KTHV couldn't just call the morning newscast "Wake Up Arkansas" because the Little Rock DMA doesn't cover the entire state of Arkansas.

4 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

They're probably referring the "Central" part of the branding as in "Central Arkansas" KTHV couldn't just call the morning newscast "Wake Up Arkansas" because the Little Rock DMA doesn't cover the entire state of Arkansas.

I mean, they could (they branded as Arkansas 11 for years in the 80s-90s), but the first thing that comes to mind is maybe they don't want to sound like KATV's "Good Morning Arkansas".

39 minutes ago, Samantha said:

I mean, they could (they branded as Arkansas 11 for years in the 80s-90s), but the first thing that comes to mind is maybe they don't want to sound like KATV's "Good Morning Arkansas".

I'm sure they could but at the same time it'd make it seem as if they serve all of Arkansas to the viewers in Central Arkansas even though in reality the DMA doesn't cover the entire state of Arkansas

2 hours ago, MidwestTV said:

I guess "Wake Up Central" as in, KTHV is central to waking up.

Question: Who is number one in the AMs in Little Rock?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, NEOMatrix said:

I am gonna say in a market where your only choices are Sinclair, Tegna and Nexstar. My educated guess would be that KARK is Number One in the mornings

On 10/29/2019 at 12:16 PM, oknewsguy said:

I am gonna say in a market where your only choices are Sinclair, Tegna and Nexstar. My educated guess would be that KARK is Number One in the mornings

I am pretty sure that KATV ABC 7 is #1 in every time slot in Little Rock. I don't hear much out of 4 and 11. KATV was #1 under Albritton and Sinclair hasn't done anything to jeopardize that in, as of 2000 at least, a "red" state. 

On 10/28/2019 at 3:40 PM, NEOMatrix said:

"Wake Up [Insert Region]" is the TEGNA name for all of their new revamped morning shows. Wake Up West Texas - KIDY/KXVA; Wake Up Washington (now Get Up DC)- WUSA; WHAS11 Wake Up -- all TEGNA creations, with the same (general) graphics created by TEGNA creative.

44 minutes ago, KevCor said:

"Wake Up [Insert Region]" is the TEGNA name for all of their new revamped morning shows. Wake Up West Texas - KIDY/KXVA; Wake Up Washington (now Get Up DC)- WUSA; WHAS11 Wake Up -- all TEGNA creations, with the same (general) graphics created by TEGNA creative.

This has some variations: WCSH/WLBZ went from "NewsCenter Mornings" to "wakeMEup". This pun both works and is cheezy as heck.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2019 at 4:59 PM, KevCor said:

WUSA currently uses Wake Up Washington for weekend mornings.

Meanwhile, Tegna and Fox announced a comprehensive, multi-year deal that renews station affiliation agreements for six Tegna markets last week, including three acquired from Nexstar. (via TVNewsCheck)

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/240551/tegna-fox-renew-affiliation-agreements/

Edited by tw-804

On 10/30/2019 at 4:59 PM, KevCor said:

Do they all use the WHAS Wake Up graphics and music?

20 minutes ago, MidwestTV said:

Do they all use the WHAS Wake Up graphics and music?

I know WHAS' Wake Up & WUSA's "Get Up" look similar.

KIDY/KXVA's Wake Up West Texas and WUSA's Wake Up Washington (weekend) also have similar graphics.

17 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

WUSA might as well retire the name "Wake Up Washington". Go for "WUSA9 News Saturday/Sunday Morning", or extend Get Up DC to weekends.

I can top that. W*USA needs to drop WUSA9 News all together and bring back "Eyewitness News" or at least naming it (WUSA) 9 Eyewitness News or CBS 9 Eyewitness News. It's just M2C (My 2 Cents).

2 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

I can top that. W*USA needs to drop WUSA9 News all together and bring back "Eyewitness News" or at least naming it (WUSA) 9 Eyewitness News or CBS 9 Eyewitness News. It's just M2C (My 2 Cents).

Eyewitness News is so 1970s. What about "USA Go" or "USA News" 

On 10/28/2019 at 2:39 PM, oknewsguy said:

I'm sure they could but at the same time it'd make it seem as if they serve all of Arkansas to the viewers in Central Arkansas even though in reality the DMA doesn't cover the entire state of Arkansas

Other stations do this in other states where they don’t actually serve the entire state. It’s no big deal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MidwestTV said:

WHAS has relaunched their 11pm as "NightTeam." It's a return to the name - it was popular in the 80s and 90s. NightTeam replaces 11 at 11.

Content is key, of course, but THIS ACTUALLY MAKES SENSE. Nice nod by TEGNA and station leadership, for once.

• Like 1