TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

On 10/7/2019 at 4:02 PM, hankthetank23 said:

Does this pretty much confirm that WTHR will be dropping their Eyewitness News branding? If so, what do you think they’ll use for their branding?

Not necessarily.  The “logo” that appears on screen doesn’t always correspond with newscast branding.  For example, the logo on WKYC’s graphics read “WKYC 3” yet they were called “Channel 3 News.”  Or WTOL’s just says “WTOL 11” but they go by “WTOL 11 News at XX.” 

F506EE3B-E20B-43E1-AD5B-27B0843F830D.png

6EDEC6DF-FC83-4412-B5CB-F549113A99C6.png

Edited by ttvn2000

On 10/7/2019 at 2:50 PM, tyrannical bastard said:

There may be hope after all, especially for the former Dispatch stations, and any other station they drove (further) into the ground.....

WNEP plus other ex-Nexstar and Tribune stations would like a word with you.

Edited by oknewsguy
  • Like 1

Oh pretty please......

I don't normally root for hostile takeovers, but SOMETHING needs to be done with Tegna and quickly!!

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2019/10/16/breaking-tegna-looking-at-possible-hostile-takeover-attempt

They've ruined far too many of their stations to the point where ANYTHING would be an improvement!

On 10/11/2019 at 5:34 PM, oknewsguy said:

WNEP plus other ex-Nexstar and Tribune stations would like a word with you.

The ex-Tribune stations, debatable. WNEP, sure. KFSM and WQAD, debatable. WPMT and WTIC were already down that path.

The ex-Nexstar stations have nothing to lose and in a way got upgraded. A #3 station in a 2 station market, a #4 station in a 3 station market, and a #4 station in a market that barely supports 4 news departments, nothing setting the world on fire.

18 minutes ago, scrabbleship said:

The ex-Tribune stations, debatable. WNEP, sure. KFSM and WQAD, debatable. WPMT and WTIC were already down that path.

The ex-Nexstar stations have nothing to lose and in a way got upgraded. A #3 station in a 2 station market, a #4 station in a 3 station market, and a #4 station in a market that barely supports 4 news departments, nothing setting the world on fire.

Translation, if anyone on here that lives in the markets of Hartford, Fort Smith and the Quad Cities most likely you're welcoming Tegna with open arms (same thing with Des Moines, Memphis and Huntsville) it's Pennsylvania (WPMT/WNEP) that are a bit up in arms about Tegna.

Edited by oknewsguy

I just watched my 4th or 5th snipet of The Daily Blast. I can't watch more than 5 minutes at a time, but I tried to give them a chance to see if I can warm up to them.

I can't. They are simply awful. There is no chemistry and there is nothing worse than forced bubbliness.

Tonight they were talking about how Ann Curry has the goods on Matt Lauer and is threatening to go public. I'm thinking to myself, "I wonder if anybody has the goods on any of you guys?"

A very uninteresting show.

1 hour ago, DirtyHarry said:

"I wonder if anybody has the goods on any of you guys?"

Well with Jeff they have a full summers worth on Big Brother.  IIRC he didn’t do or say anything too outrageous a lot of his time was taken with his showmance Jordan who he married. However I don’t think he rocked the boat as he was voted “America’s Favorite” fan boat.  I’m sure if someone went to JokersUpdates they could find something innocuous and make it something. 

Edited by rkolsen
  • Like 1

Looking back at the purchases that Tegna have made the biggest common denominator I found was that most if not, almost all of the Tegna acquistions so far this year have come in markets that either LIN, Media General were in or where the old Standard Media tried to enter but due to the other stuff that failed to materialize.

Something tells me that Soo Kim must've played a role in the acquistions of Dispatch as well as the Graycom and Nexstar/Tribune rejects, how true is that? We don't know but Tegna must've known what was coming

On 10/18/2019 at 2:45 AM, rkolsen said:

Well with Jeff they have a full summers worth on Big Brother.  IIRC he didn’t do or say anything too outrageous a lot of his time was taken with his showmance Jordan who he married. However I don’t think he rocked the boat as he was voted “America’s Favorite” fan boat.  I’m sure if someone went to JokersUpdates they could find something innocuous and make it something. 

Is the show even live? ACTUALLY live?

On 10/18/2019 at 1:45 AM, rkolsen said:

Well with Jeff they have a full summers worth on Big Brother.  IIRC he didn’t do or say anything too outrageous a lot of his time was taken with his showmance Jordan who he married.

What he said in the "Dumbledore conversation" of Big Brother 13 was definitely not a good look for him and was probably the most controversial thing about that season.

12 hours ago, blizzard59 said:

What he said in the "Dumbledore conversation" of Big Brother 13 was definitely not a good look for him and was probably the most controversial thing about that season.

Yikes it appears he did it back in season 11 too... https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/big-brothers-jeff-schroeder-goes-210798

On 10/16/2019 at 12:41 PM, scrabbleship said:

On 10/16/2019 at 12:58 PM, oknewsguy said:

Translation, if anyone on here that lives in the markets of Hartford, Fort Smith and the Quad Cities most likely you're welcoming Tegna with open arms (same thing with Des Moines, Memphis and Huntsville) it's Pennsylvania (WPMT/WNEP) that are a bit up in arms about Tegna.

In the case of WATN/WLMT, they were already at rock bottom to begin with ratings-wise, so it's not like TEGNA could've done any worse for them. As much as Nexstar was willing to invest in making the duopoly competitive, it wasn't enough to move the needle in the right direction.

On 10/16/2019 at 1:58 PM, oknewsguy said:

I can get WNEP given its market dominance and how the market is screwy as it is. But where is the outrage over WPMT, a Fox affiliate which at best is #3 in a market that is dominated by someone else? I'd get outrage if this was WGAL, but WPMT!? I would think that KFSM would have more outrage going for it than WPMT.

9 hours ago, TennTV1983 said:

In the case of WATN/WLMT, they were already at rock bottom to begin with ratings-wise, so it's not like TEGNA could've done any worse for them. As much as Nexstar was willing to invest in making the duopoly competitive, it wasn't enough to move the needle in the right direction.

I think the problem there is that the rot left by Newport (and Clear Channel before them) was so bad that given how Nexstar is as a company that they did all that they could do. Thinking of the other stations Nexstar got from Newport, most of them were messes save for WSYR, WETM, and KGET and some needed drastic action to survive let alone thrive.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2019 at 11:56 AM, MidwestTV said:

Is the show even live? ACTUALLY live?

It's supposed to be live, and it's also carried on social media platforms at the same time.

BTW, I used to love the show until this happened:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/daily-blast-white-privilege_n_5b9abfd5e4b0b64a336d12a3

Apparently, they will have clips taken down if it puts their hosts in a bad light.

Yes it is Live from 10:30 AM Mountain Time until 6:30 PM Mountain Time.  There are only 11 stations that don't air it live and have it in overnight time slots, the overnight slots are on: WBRC-TV, WTHR-TV, WLOX-TV, WBNS-TV, WXIX-TV, WTOL-TV, KKTV, KFDA-TV, KHOU-TV,  KGNS-TV & WOVA-TV.

Most of the stations that air it overnight appear to be Grey Television. 

On 8/5/2019 at 2:34 PM, tyrannical bastard said:

It's official....GateHouse is buying Gannett and will assume the Gannett name and HQ in McLean, VA.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/08/05/gannett-gatehouse-media-new-media-investment-group/1902550001/

So Tegna lives on.  Yay.

Well...the deal may be in jeopardy thanks to a certain private equity company buying another TV/Newspaper/Radio group, and said group is providing the financing.

The old TV / Newspaper  cross ownership ban may be back in play thanks to the legal challenge last year.... In the places where Cox and Gatehouse/Gannett have holdings....

https://nypost.com/2019/10/18/fcc-scrutiny-puts-gannett-new-media-merger-in-jeopardy/

Edited by tyrannical bastard

20 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

Tegna might be putting it's radio stations on the block.

San Diego Reader reported yesterday that Tegna might be selling the KFMB radio stations

All I have to say is that if WBNS Radio ever gets sold, I hope it goes to Saga and not iHeart. Saga is a good operator. iHeart, on the other hand ...

13 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Well...the deal may be in jeopardy thanks to a certain private equity company buying another TV/Newspaper/Radio group, and said group is providing the financing.

The old TV / Newspaper  cross ownership ban may be back in play thanks to the legal challenge last year.... In the places where Cox and Gatehouse/Gannett have holdings....

I read articles on this and it doesn't sound like there will be a problem. Apollo is just an umbrella that manages many investment funds. The article said that the loan money is coming from another fund separate from the money coming for Cox. I don't think Apollo is going to have any ownership or involved in operating in GateNet, so it shouldn't be a problem. But you never know.

43 minutes ago, DirtyHarry said:

All I have to say is that if WBNS Radio ever gets sold, I hope it goes to Saga and not iHeart. Saga is a good operator. iHeart, on the other hand ..

Going by the Scripps Milwaukee MO and since they're both ESPN Radio stations, the WBNS stations would fit like a glove with Good Karma, which is already up in Cleveland and after the WMVP management deal, is a buyer for sure, and they would overpay to be the Ohio State flagship. Saga is more music-heavy outside of dominant markets than a runner of talk stations.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mrschimpf said:

Going by the Scripps Milwaukee MO and since they're both ESPN Radio stations, the WBNS stations would fit like a glove with Good Karma, which is already up in Cleveland and after the WMVP management deal, is a buyer for sure, and they would overpay to be the Ohio State flagship. Saga is more music-heavy outside of dominant markets than a runner of talk stations.

The only reason I mentioned Saga is because I doubt any of the national players would want a standalone and Saga is already in the market. Plus, they have a couple of News/Talk stations further out in the Midwest. But you are correct about Good Karma. I don't know anything about how they operate, but if they can keep that operation the way it is, I'm all for it.

Just please not iHeart. They'll just hub everything from Cincinnati and we'll have to listen to Reds and Bengals crap all the time. --I'm being facetious, but you should listen to the weekend news from the Cincinnati hub. It's got nothing of interest! Just crime stories from around the state. Might as well put Fox News back on.

Edited by DirtyHarry

2 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

What about Entercom?

CBS left the market years ago when they sold their Columbus stations to Wilks, who subsequently sold their Columbus stations to Urban One, setting off a flurry of format changes and swaps.  Radio One got 95.5 and 107.1 while Salem got 98.9 (whose format moved to 95.5).

It would be interesting if Entercom enters the market since they absorbed CBS Radio.

The Columbus radio market makes my head hurt with all of the move-ins and format swaps over the years.  I doubt the new owners (if they are sold) flip WBNS back to music, especially with the FM-talk fad being here to stay.

(But if they do, maybe 107.9 can pick up the sports format, as they have done with ALL of WBNS' formats in recent years....)

Dare I say it...EMF doesn't have a station in Columbus.....yet...

Edited by tyrannical bastard