TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

2 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

You would think the former Nexstar stations would be easy to swap out since both Tegna and Nexstar use full screen animated endings.

It seems to me that the new Nexstar copyright has a transition that animates onto the screen, compared to the old version that seemed to be a plain video clip.

10 hours ago, Swiss Army Knife said:

WBNS and WTHR just have copyrights to their call letters. No TEGNA IDs or graphics yet.

If I were TEGNA, I would downplay it. Most people who don't follow this stuff think the stations are still locally (or in the case of WTHR, almost locally) owned. There is an advantage to that. In fact, I would have given the Wolfes token ownership in the stations (like 100 shares of Tegna stock) just so they could continue to pretend they are locally owned.

Edited by DirtyHarry

8 hours ago, hankthetank23 said:

@DirtyHarry When do you think WTHR/WBNS will get Tegna’s standardized graphics and music? Also, do you think their logo will change?

Good question. I bet they do get the music and graphics, but the logo looks pretty good  right now. I didn't like it before, but I think it looks good with their blue color theme and inside a blue square. Likewise with WTHR.  I think their logo looks great since they updated it. I don't know that I liked their graphics so much though. Too much gray for my tastes.

16 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

Good question. I bet they do get the music and graphics, but the logo looks pretty good  right now. I didn't like it before, but I think it looks good with their blue color theme and inside a blue square. Likewise with WTHR.  I think their logo looks great since they updated it. I don't know that I liked their graphics so much though. Too much gray for my tastes.

I think WTHR and WBNS have “minimalist” enough logos that the 1-color (White) versions will translate nicely to the TEGNA graphics.  They (thankfully) didn’t change WTOL (even with that false alarm), so I think we’re likely to see those logos remain for a bit.

Had WTHR not refreshed their logo a few years back, it might have been a different situation.

With all this said, I could be completely wrong and both could be in for a downgrade a la WKYC.  (But I’ve discussed my disdain for that more than I needed to, LOL 😂.)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jbnews said:

I'm not sure about WBNS, from what I understand from someone at WTHR- their new look should debut in December.

That would mean that the Nexstar acquisition stations would get their new looks in Q1 2020

All I wonder now is when WZDX, WOI, and WATN will get their non-Nexstar domain names.

26 minutes ago, who?cares said:

Well, this just aired on WTHR. 

It was accompanied by SAM's "Everywhere I Go."

It's only a matter of time.............

On 8/5/2019 at 1:45 AM, CircleSeven said:

New M&A. Ben Tucker is cashing out in Tucson.

Tegna is exercising its option to acquire the MyNet outlet KTTU outright from Tucker Media for $296K. Tegna already owns the Fox station KMSB. 

It was greenlighted last Friday (9/20).

Edited by CircleSeven

Meanwhile in DC, it's goodbye to "Off Script" and hello to the new interactive show called "The Q & A".

WUSA 9 debuted a new show tonight at 7pm. It's called "The Q & A" hosted by Bruce Johnson, Ariane Datil and Mike Wise.

https://www.wusa9.com/article/entertainment/television/programs/q-and-a/the-q-and-a-launches-on-wusa9/65-41164c18-3415-42ea-875a-16e0b0287849

EDIT (8:07p): It's on WUSA's section on the NewsOn apps in case you missed it.

Edited by tw-804

WTOL’s Dick Berry retires Sunday after 40 years:

https://www.toledoblade.com/a-e/tv-radio/2019/09/27/after-four-decades-at-wtol-tv-toledo-reporter-dick-berry-retires-sunday/stories/20190928049

Candid interview and great perspective from an actual journalist. 

"The whole media business has become more corporate ... which is affecting how the news is covered, as well as the people you see entering the news business," he said. "A lot of them are not qualified to be in the news business. I just wonder how they got to be where they are.”

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, ttvn2000 said:

https://www.toledoblade.com/a-e/tv-radio/2019/09/27/after-four-decades-at-wtol-tv-toledo-reporter-dick-berry-retires-sunday/stories/20190928049

"The whole media business has become more corporate ... which is affecting how the news is covered, as well as the people you see entering the news business," he said. "A lot of them are not qualified to be in the news business. I just wonder how they got to be where they are.”

19 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

He surely isn't mincing any words.... 

From the Jeff Heitz school of no BS truth telling journalism...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ttvn2000 said:

I'm by no means a hater of corporations but when it comes to creative content, they ruin everything they touch. And not just in the media. Shopping these days is about as fun as going to the dentist because all your choices have dwindled to just a handful as the big corporations gobbled up market share. (Retail does have a creative side to it.)

• Sad 1

On 8/5/2019 at 1:45 AM, CircleSeven said:

New M&A. Ben Tucker is cashing out in Tucson.

Tegna is exercising its option to acquire the MyNet outlet KTTU outright from Tucker Media for $296K. Tegna already owns the Fox station KMSB. 

And that deal is done, as of yesterday (10/1).

KMSB & KTTU are commonly-owned for the first time since the end of the Belo deal almost six years ago.

Tegna proceeded to kick longtime Journalists to the curb and replace them with young and inexpensive hires that would be guided to do this new type of news that did not look very much like news at all. Talent was urged to interject their opinion and do their own thing.

Take it for what it's worth, but I don't think a little bit of informed opinion is such a bad thing. We have been subjected to three years of blatant Russia Russia Russia propaganda about Trump. Orwellian propaganda. I think the mainstream media would earn a lot of cred if they stop regurgitating propaganda and start interjecting their opinion that this is all a bunch of BS conjured up by people trying to cover up some major crimes they committed.

You see, I don't think the average person is die hard conservavative or die hard leftist.  But everybody loves to see crooks get what's coming to them, everybody loves a good hanging and everybody likes a good tar and feathering. The first respected mainstream national media guy to reject the Washington party line and call out what has been going on will have the same kind of respect accorded Bob Woodward.

But the key words in the first paragraph are "informed opinion." Who has the ability to see what's going on and to tell it like it is and the gravitas to get people to listen? Not some kid who is wet behind the ears, that's for sure.

Edited by DirtyHarry
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1