TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

Could someone with an Apple device (these allow internal audio recording) please record/upload the tease (at about 12:00) and rejoin (at about 14:45) from WVEC's 11pm show from Friday night via NewsOn? They played some long bumps of what I think are new C Clarity cuts!

I would like to loop the tracks and I think everyone should hear them, too!

Edited by jbnews

6 hours ago, jbnews said:

Could someone with an Apple device (these allow internal audio recording) please record/upload the tease (at about 12:00) and rejoin (at about 14:45) from WVEC's 11pm show from Friday night via NewsOn? They played some long bumps of what I think are new C Clarity cuts!

I would like to loop the tracks and I think everyone should hear them, too!

The tease part of that I hadn't fully heard before, but it seams like it's probably just a different portion of the track that is used in the rejoin, which I have heard in a KGW stinger before. 

On 6/11/2019 at 8:51 AM, TexasTVNews said:

I've told you they'll be the bait when Dispatch caved. First, I'm shocked that Tegna is buying 'BNS & 'THR. Second, at least WTOL/Toledo will have a matching network affiliation sister station soon.

There, I fixed it for you. WTOL already has WKYC (the NBC affiliate) as their sister station

KUSA added Cozi TV in December to it's digital sub channel (9.2) replacing Weather Nation TV.   Today when I was out I noticed a billboard advertising Cozi TV on 9.2 & 25.3 Over the air & Comcast 249. 

I also noticed an ad on the side of a bus stop promoting Cozi TV, why dosn't KDEN-TV just drop Cozi and just have it on KUSA??      The KDEN signal is very weak on the south side of the Denver Metro area, while KUSA's signal covers all of the metro. If I were NBC Universal I would just move it over and be done with it-put another Spanish sub on to 25.3.

I would think Tegna would be pushing for that to happen.

Edited by DENDude

1 hour ago, DENDude said:

KUSA added Cozi TV in December to it's digital sub channel (9.2) replacing Weather Nation TV.   Today when I was out I noticed a billboard advertising Cozi TV on 9.2 & 25.3 Over the air & Comcast 249. 

I also noticed an ad on the side of a bus stop promoting Cozi TV, why dosn't KDEN-TV just drop Cozi and just have it on KUSA??      The KDEN signal is very weak on the south side of the Denver Metro area, while KUSA's signal covers all of the metro. If I were NBC Universal I would just move it over and be done with it-put another Spanish sub on to 25.3.

I would think Tegna would be pushing for that to happen.

Unfortunately, KDEN is owned by NBC and NBC owns Cozi TV... there you go.

WKYC has added Mike Polk, Jr. to its team.  He's a popular Cleveland stand-up comedian who's created popular viral videos, and has appeared on WJW and WUAB in almost two decades.  Channel 3 has really beefed up its hiring this year.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/entertainment/television/wkyc/clevelands-popular-social-and-political-commentator-mike-polk-jr-joins-wkyc-studios/95-e6a54c48-6ebe-4884-829c-8817f54086aa?fbclid=IwAR1xWKIWksnL0COcsEidBV5qLr1qiA3iFKIboT0vxXvhi8WwglHAPNcloLA

(I also posted this in "Out and About," but thought this would go on here as well)

On 6/28/2019 at 4:43 AM, CLETVFan said:

WKYC has added Mike Polk, Jr. to its team.  He's a popular Cleveland stand-up comedian who's created popular viral videos, and has appeared on WJW and WUAB in almost two decades.  Channel 3 has really beefed up its hiring this year.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/entertainment/television/wkyc/clevelands-popular-social-and-political-commentator-mike-polk-jr-joins-wkyc-studios/95-e6a54c48-6ebe-4884-829c-8817f54086aa?fbclid=IwAR1xWKIWksnL0COcsEidBV5qLr1qiA3iFKIboT0vxXvhi8WwglHAPNcloLA

(I also posted this in "Out and About," but thought this would go on here as well)

Geez, TEGNA hiring another comedian.

The condition of TEGNA and Scripps continues to get worse and worse. Also they both continue to get bigger and bigger. I won't be surprised if either of those companies buys the Meredith stations.

(On a side note, I haven't seen any billboards for KPNX since 2015 (post-split). I did see a billboard for Red Nose Day on KPNX in 2016 but NBC payed for the billboard, not TEGNA. Maybe it has to do with their weak news ratings these days? I have seen billboards for KNXV, KPHO, and KSAZ last year. I have also never heard any radio ads for KPNX (but I did hear one for the then co-owned newspaper The Arizona Republic in 2014, pre-split of course).)

Edited by Conrad

(crossposting from Out and About)

GM Kari Jacobs is leaving WVEC in Norfolk to take over GM spot for the recently departed Mike Rodriguez at WTSP in Tampa. 

From Sales Manager to GM in just 10 years.

https://www.tegna.com/tegna-promotes-kari-jacobs-to-president-and-general-manager-of-wtsp-in-tampa-st-petersburg/?fbclid=IwAR15snN2Cky-OUsJXYiOtsXxab4Ifk6P1XXKSStXAUJkXPi4kL--F13ChaM

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

It's been reported that Gannett could be sold to GateHouse.....

https://nypost.com/2019/07/18/gatehouse-media-poised-to-buy-gannett/

If this happens (and TEGNA's antics really drive them into the ground), could the Gannett name return to this company?

How about TEGHA since WTHR and WBNS are going to be related to GateHouse? (GH for GateHouse instead of GN for Gannett.) 

7 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

If this happens (and TEGNA's antics really drive them into the ground), could the Gannett name return to this company?

If the Gannett name goes away, it'll probably stay gone unless GateHouse assumes it post-merger.

9 minutes ago, tw-804 said:

Meanwhile in Louisville, say bye-bye to Good Morning Kentuckiana because WHAS 11's weekday morning newscast has a new name. Wake Up debuts tomorrow (Monday), July 22nd.

https://www.whas11.com/article/news/local/wake-up/rise-and-shine-wake-up-launches-on-july-22/417-9d097f78-75dc-4373-a9e1-3c99cb4b26ba

Get the f... outta here?!, should called it Wake Up Kentuckiana instead.

10 hours ago, TennTV1983 said:

Is TEGNA's endgame to name every single morning newscast at their stations either "Wake Up!" or "Get Up!"?

Almost every.  The Morning Loop appears to be sticking around at KYTX for now.

16 hours ago, TennTV1983 said:

Is TEGNA's endgame to name every single morning newscast at their stations either "Wake Up!" or "Get Up!"?

Not in Houston. HTownRush is as unique (and millennial) a name as TEGNA can get for a morning newscast at KHOU, even on one whose lead-out usually trails the ratings, and Wake Up! is already taken by Fox O&O KRIV (which is doing its best to out-TEGNA KHOU in this department). They have been making gains (almost double) compared to last year, but KHOU still trails KTRK (which is always a strong station no matter what ABC's ratings look like) and KPRC (most experienced news anchor pairings + strong NBC affiliation) overall. And that's not even counting la competencia en español (KTMD outrating everyone with KXLN tied with KTRK).

• Thanks 1

On 6/11/2019 at 10:31 AM, GoldenShine9 said:

Still need Dayton (not going to happen anytime soon) and Cincinnati (very possible?) to get close to full coverage of Ohio. It may not be as valuable as we think since the state is trending red so it may not be a swing state in the future...

On 6/13/2019 at 9:06 PM, tyrannical bastard said:

If you take Akron and Canton (and possibly Mansfield) of the Cleveland area, it would roughly compare with the Columbus area population-wise. 

Cleveland has more suburbs and Columbus' population has swelled over the last two decades without a lot of major suburbs or cities in the viewing area.

And in terms of TV coverage, Akron and Canton may as not exist anymore since the stations based there either have been re-focused on Cleveland or stripped of any local content (like WVPX and WRLM). 

If they were further away, they could qualify as their own market or markets.

I actually beg to differ here, folks. Columbus actually has a pretty large concentration of suburbs and exurbs when you consider that Licking and especially Delaware counties have exploded in the last two to three decades, that the nexus of retail in the region has largely spread out further north and east of the city (Polaris, Easton and Tuttle Crossing all opened in the two decades since the first wave of media consolidation took place), and there are many companies in and around Columbus that have become household names in the last half-century (Wendy's, White Castle and the various Les Wexner retail spinoffs come to mind).

Also, while the state has largely shifted somewhat to the right as a whole, the metro areas are competitive in various ways, with the prosperous, normally Republican suburbs around the 3 C's very cool to Trump's economic populism and style (resulting in Democratic protest votes from these areas) -- whereas traditional blue-collar Democrats in places like Youngstown and Toledo more or less shifted away from their party given Obama's "bitter clingers" spiel wasn't particularly popular with a large chunk of the blue-collar set. In other words, Ohio is no more a swing state than it was in the past, and it most certainly will be in the future long after all the TV signals have been consolidated onto one frequency.

For what it's worth, TEGNA is most definitely not losing anything investing into Ohio and Indiana, and the only surprise about the latter is that they didn't go for WISH/WNDY (which would have reunited them with their former Corinthian sisters such as KHOU and KXTV) though it did not help that CBS pulled their affiliation from WISH back at the start of 2015. Unless the FCC mandated licensees pass an annual "four highest rated stations" review with regards to limits and effectively required Tribune/Nexstar to choose between CBS and Fox in order to keep both WTTV and WXIN, it wasn't going to help WISH's cause which is why they ended up going to a small-scale operator instead of TEGNA. There's also the whole argument that the Wolfe family wanted to sell its broadcast group in one piece, but that argument's already been played to death like a Taylor Swift song on here.

On 6/11/2019 at 10:31 AM, GoldenShine9 said:

Still need Dayton (not going to happen anytime soon) and Cincinnati (very possible?) to get close to full coverage of Ohio. It may not be as valuable as we think since the state is trending red so it may not be a swing state in the future...

I know it'll never happen, but if I'm a betting man, I would say... WRGT/WKEF and WKRC/WSTR. But like I say, it'll never happen.

24 minutes ago, TexasTVNews said:

I know it'll never happen, but if I'm a betting man, I would say... WRGT/WKEF and WKRC/WSTR. But like I say, it'll never happen.

Never say never though. Given Sinclair's behavior it might happen.

• 2 weeks later...

Just like Gray, TEGNA is going to handle national sales for their stations on their own, shunning a Cox division (which may also lose the Tribune-to-be-Nexstar stations in the near future too).

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/top-news/237403/bad-news-for-cox-reps-tegna-goes-in-house/

Edited by TVIntheDesert

New M&A. Ben Tucker is cashing out in Tucson.

Tegna is exercising its option to acquire the MyNet outlet KTTU outright from Tucker Media for $296K. Tegna already owns the Fox station KMSB. 

This will be the first time in nearly six years where both KTTU & KMSB be commonly-owned, even though both have stayed together through a sharing arrangement. When Gannett bought out the duopoly's former owner Belo in 2013, Gannett couldn't own the stations outright because of its ownership with their paper, the Arizona Daily Star. The old newspaper-broadcast crossownership (NBCO) rule prohibits entities from owning a newspaper and TV station in the same market. And because of the eight-voice test rule, Sander couldn't buy both KMSB & KTTU because the market would end up with just seven unique owners. So Tucker ended up getting KTTU. After Gannett's split of its TV & publishing arms in 2015, Sander sold KMSB to what is now known as Tegna. 

The NBCO & Eight-Voice Test was thrown out after Pai relaxed the media ownership rules in late 2017.

21 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

New M&A. Ben Tucker is cashing out in Tucson.

Tegna is exercising its option to acquire the MyNet outlet KTTU outright from Tucker Media for $296K. Tegna already owns the Fox station KMSB. 

This will be the first time in nearly six years where both KTTU & KMSB be commonly-owned, even though both have stayed together through a sharing arrangement. When Gannett bought out the duopoly's former owner Belo in 2013, Gannett couldn't own the stations outright because of its ownership with their paper, the Arizona Daily Star. The old newspaper-broadcast crossownership (NBCO) rule prohibits entities from owning a newspaper and TV station in the same market. And because of the eight-voice test rule, Sander couldn't buy both KMSB & KTTU because the market would end up with just seven unique owners. So Tucker ended up getting KTTU. After Gannett's split of its TV & publishing arms in 2015, Sander sold KMSB to what is now known as Tegna. 

The NBCO & Eight-Voice Test was thrown out after Pai relaxed the media ownership rules in late 2017.

That's one half of the sharing agreements in Tucson gone, I wouldn't be surprised if Tegna ultimately terminates the sharing agreements with Gray and acquire KMSB outright. One would think that KMSB would've had a news department by now under Tegna

On 7/19/2019 at 11:13 AM, tyrannical bastard said:

It's official....GateHouse is buying Gannett and will assume the Gannett name and HQ in McLean, VA.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/08/05/gannett-gatehouse-media-new-media-investment-group/1902550001/

So Tegna lives on.  Yay.

• Haha 1