TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

6 minutes ago, H4UL4U said:

Who have been rejects from bigger markets? I don't think Colleen Marshall has worked anywhere else. Going back a ways, while yes, Doug Adair worked in bigger markets, he essentially worked at WCMH as a retirement job to be closer to home (he was from Xenia). I wouldn't exactly call him a "reject." Lots of folks have worked in the Columbus market to move on to bigger and better things who you probably didn't realize ever worked in the market.

Doug Adair, Mona Scott, Tracy Townsend, Bob Kendrick, that new black lady at Channel 4, Tom Lawence, Jim Finnerty (didn't last long, but he was good) and Kirsten Hartman, to name a few. I think Bob Hetherington was from a larger market and he was good too. Scott Light's from Atlanta, he's okay.

Also: Tyler Bacome, Mike Bowersock and Ted Hart. Not anchors, but rejects from larger markets.

Edited by DirtyHarry

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

I can believe reaching the outskirts of Dayton (especially Springfield).  The Columbus market totally surrounds the Zanesville area (Muskingum County) and extends all the way to Morgan, Noble and Guernsey Counties. 

WTAP has only had WIYE-LD on the air for a few years, so WSYX and WBNS are still available in Parkersburg along with the other Charleston-Huntington stations.

As for Cleveland area, that's probably stretching it a bit much.  It reaches the fringes like Mansfield and New Philadelphia (especially South Tuscarawas County).  WOIO getting CBS probably had a lot to do with this since it had less reach than WJW.

Before Lima got their own stations aside from WLIO, I believe WBNS made it all the way up there as well.

WBNS is carried on cable in Miami and Wyandot Counties. Miami County is nowhere near the Columbus DMA, but Wyandot does border Crawford County, which is in the Northern fringe of the DMA, so it may be the same rural cable provider to parts of Crawford County. Same goes for places in Richland and Tuscarawas Counties as those counties border counties in the Columbus DMA.

3 minutes ago, H4UL4U said:

Who have been rejects from bigger markets? I don't think Colleen Marshall has worked anywhere else. Going back a ways, while yes, Doug Adair worked in bigger markets, he essentially worked at WCMH as a retirement job to be closer to home (he was from Xenia). I wouldn't exactly call him a "reject." Lots of folks have worked in the Columbus market to move on to bigger and better things who you probably didn't realize ever worked in the market.

Colleen got her start in West Virginia, before coming to Columbus.  Yes, there have been some who come from bigger markets.  Tracey (Chicago) she from Cincinnati.  Kristyn Hartman (Chicago now in Cincinnati)   Bob Kendrick (Denver) who from Canada.   Doug & Mona (worked in Cleveland)   Mike Bettes (at the Weather Channel) worked at WSYX as well Liz Claman who now at FOX Business News,  Carol Costello worked at both WSYX & WBNS before going to Baltimore, DC,  CNN/HLN.

You have some stay and some leave, but it not rejection city here.

9 minutes ago, DirtyHarry said:

Doug Adair, Mona Scott, Tracy Townsend, Bob Kendrick, that new black lady at Channel 4, Tom Lawence, Jim Finnerty (didn't last long, but he was good), to name a few. I think Bob Hetherington was from a larger market and he was good too. Scott Light's from Atlanta, he's okay.

Also: Tyler, Bacome, Bowersock and Ted Hart. Not anchors, but rejects from larger markets.

You said good anchors. 😀

Some of those folks are rejects, and for whatever reason they have an insatiable thirst for fame and take jobs wherever. Plus reporters in a large market will bolt for an anchor job at a smaller station.

RIP Mike Bowersock. He was one of the good ones. Sorry mods for drifting off topic. 😑

Edited by H4UL4U

4 minutes ago, H4UL4U said:

You said good anchors. 😀

Some of those folks are rejects, and for whatever reason they have an incapable thirst for fame. That being said, RIP Mike Bowersock. He was one of the good ones.

Depends how you judge. I judge by presentation skills and all the people I listed were pretty good, with Doug Adair being the best by far. I thought Jim Finnerty was pretty good, but his hair looked weird. He never caught on. 

I thought Doug Adair was put out to pasture and that's how he ended up in Columbus. Anyway, I thought all those people had good presentation skills. Never was a fan of Colleen. Good looking lady, but annoying voice.

Edited by DirtyHarry

28 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

Which to be honest KOCO would've suffered regardless if it was traded to (then) Hearst-Argyle or not because Oklahoma City is a market where loyalty matters the most and viewers have been loyal to KWTV and KFOR (despite a number of ownership changes with the latter) for decades and for KOCO and KOKH they're basically screwed over (and I'm not even going to go there on KOKH for obvious reasons)

If you want a true competitive market you'd have to either go up the Turner Turnpike to Tulsa, go north or south on I-35 to @Georgie56's territory in Dallas and Wichita respectively or West on I-40 to Amarillo (Fort Smith has been dominated by KFSM for many years so I wouldn't suggest going east on I-40)

Who knows, should Griffin cashes out KWTV and Uncle Perry trashes KFOR, KOCO and KOKH might have a shot.

7 minutes ago, DirtyHarry said:

Doug Adair, Mona Scott, Tracy Townsend, Bob Kendrick, that new black lady at Channel 4, Tom Lawence, Jim Finnerty (didn't last long, but he was good) and Kirsten Hartman, to name a few. I think Bob Hetherington was from a larger market and he was good too. Scott Light's from Atlanta, he's okay.

Also: Tyler Bacome, Mike Bowersock and Ted Hart. Not anchors, but rejects from larger markets.

Darlene Hill (Chicago)  Tom Lawrence left he wanted to go back to California back in 1994.  Jim Finnerty eh ( wasn't a fan, but he worked in Cleveland ) Bob Hetherington came from Cleveland he worked at WUAB 43.   Tyler Bacome this is his hometown and Mike Bowersock started during WTVN's days.  Ted Hart worked at all (3) stations.   You do have the hometown folks that are from here. Michelle Gailun,  Deborah Countiss both grew up and went to Ohio State.  Angela Pace who went to Capital Univesity and from the city,  Cabot Rea who went to Otterbein University and from here.  Jym Ganahl from Iowa he worked at KWWL.  Lou Forrest came from Kansas before working at both WBNS & WSYX.  Dana Tyler she local gal from Columbus, before going to WCBS-TV.   Bill Martin before anchoring at FOX 8 in Cleveland worked at WSYX.  Mike Jackson & Gail Hogan both worked at WTVN-TV before going over to WCMH. 

3 minutes ago, DirtyHarry said:

Doug Adair, Mona Scott, Tracy Townsend, Bob Kendrick, that new black lady at Channel 4, Tom Lawence, Jim Finnerty (didn't last long, but he was good), to name a few. I think Bob Hetherington was from a larger market and he was good too. Scott Light's from Atlanta, he's okay.

IIRC, Tyler Bacome worked in Columbus before Indianapolis....sort of a lateral move market-wise.

Also, Bob Hetherington was WUAB's original 10pm anchor before coming to WSYX in the 90s.

Scott Light is in a better place...or so we can hope coming from Atlanta.  Sort of a reverse Ben Swann situation since he went from Cincinnati to that dreaded CBS station in Atlanta to well....you know the rest of the story.

Another out-of-market move was Rodney Dunigan.  He's way better off at WSYX than he was at WPTY/WATN. (and they're getting sold to Tegna as well!)

Just now, DirtyHarry said:

Depends how you judge. I judge by presentation skills and all the people I listed were pretty good, with Doug Adair being the best by far. I thought Jim Finnerty was pretty good, but his hair looked weird. He never caught on. 

I thought Doug Adair was put out to pasture and that's how he ended up in Columbus.

WKYC was in the ratings toilet back then as an O&O and a farm team for network talent.  Even Al Roker left there to move to New York and eventually NBC itself.

Doug & Mona were far overshadowed by the anchors at WEWS and WJW back then.  I believe Judd Hambrick had his first stint as an anchor there after leaving WJW and Doug/Mona moving to Columbus.

Needless to say, their arrival and the rise of NBC at the time pushed them to the top of the ratings for a while.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Breaking News said:

Darlene Hill (Chicago)  Tom Lawrence left he wanted to go back to California back in 1994.  Jim Finnerty eh ( wasn't a fan, but he worked in Cleveland ) Bob Hetherington came from Cleveland he worked at WUAB 43.   Tyler Bacome this is his hometown and Mike Bowersock started during WTVN's days.  Ted Hart worked at all (3) stations.   You do have the hometown folks that are from here. Michelle Gailun,  Deborah Countiss both grew up and went to Ohio State.  Angela Pace who went to Capital Univesity and from the city,  Cabot Rea who went to Otterbein University and from here.  Jym Ganahl from Iowa he worked at KWWL.  Lou Forrest came from Kansas before working at both WBNS & WSYX.  Dana Tyler she local gal from Columbus, before going to WCBS-TV.   Bill Martin before anchoring at FOX 8 in Cleveland worked at WSYX.  Mike Jackson & Gail Hogan both worked at WTVN-TV before going over to WCMH. 

Never liked many of the local guys. I strictly look at "performance" skills: Great voice, interesting manner of presentation, ability to make a witty crack every now and then. Doug Adair was my ideal, but those guys don't come up that often. I think Finnerty was also at WJW or WEWS.

6 minutes ago, DirtyHarry said:

I thought Doug Adair was put out to pasture and that's how he ended up in Columbus. Anyway, I thought all those people had good presentation skills. Never was a fan of Colleen. Good looking lady, but annoying voice.

Not just presentation skills, but you do have to have a personality too.  Lou Forrest was good at doing the news, but the man never cracked a smile. Then I found out he was friends with my former boss.  Jim Finnerty, he seems to have good skills when watching a YouTube clip from his time at Channel 8 in Cleveland, but he was horrible in Columbus with bad hair.  Andrea Cambern she was a fan favorite from Arizona.  Dave Kaylor who went to Ohio State and worked at WTVF in Nashville.  Always thought he was the goofiest on-air talent, but had good presentation skills.  Angela Pace (behind the scenes people have bad things to say about her) but definitely had good on-air skills.

Just now, Breaking News said:

Not just presentation skills, but you do have to have a personality too.  Lou Forrest was good at doing the news, but the man never cracked a smile. Then I found out he was friends with my former boss.  Jim Finnerty, he seems to have good skills when watching a YouTube clip from his time at Channel 8 in Cleveland, but he was horrible in Columbus with bad hair.  Andrea Cambern she was a fan favorite from Arizona.  Dave Kaylor who went to Ohio State and worked at WTVF in Nashville.  Always thought he was the goofiest on-air talent, but had good presentation skills.  Angela Pace (behind the scenes people have bad things to say about her) but definitely had good on-air skills.

Never liked Kaylor ... all I remember him was those goofy glasses he always wore and that undercover story where he dressed up as a hobo to report on what it's like to be homeless. He was mocked mercilessly for that. I had a crush on Angela Pace when she first started at Channel 4, but I liked her less and less as she got older.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Breaking News said:

Angela Pace (behind the scenes people have bad things to say about her) but definitely had good on-air skills.

Ah yes....the middle finger incident.  I remember it well.

I'd give anything to see the Dave Kaylor Hobo story!   That and his dentures incident during a political convention in 2000.

Back to Columbus picking up market rejects.....the short tenure of Pete Scovill at WSYX/WTTE can be summed up in one of his stories.

Tossing to Scott Taylor, who works (is live) at Riverside Hospital about the crash landing of a Beechcraft Banana (Bonanza) at Don Knotts (Scott) airport.

Ok...back to the TEGNAfication of their newest stations...including WBNS.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
New info
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, DirtyHarry said:

Never liked Kaylor ... all I remember him was those goofy glasses he always wore and that undercover story where he dressed up as a hobo to report on what it's like to be homeless. He was mocked mercilessly for that. I had a crush on Angela Pace when she first started at Channel 4, but I liked her less and less as she got older.

Doug/Mona/Angela/Jimmy & Jym made NewsWatch4 the best ever.  However, I had a crush on Michelle Gailiun on Channel 6.  Dave Kaylor, he just beat to his own drum, and I've heard the same from ppl who didn't like him.  When Angela, jump from Channel 4 to 10 her ego and that big paycheck got the best of her because she wanted more $$$ from Channel 4 and they weren't going to pay her.  She became an egomaniac and her and Kaylor has disdained for each other.  Cabot Rea, he was another egomaniac too.

I like good presentation skills, but don't just read the news. You definitely need to have a personality and show some emotions when doing many different stories.  Having anchor/reporter skills are good because there some reporters who are bad at anchoring.

• Like 1

OK, one more off-topic post 😀. Since being on at WCMH Darlene Hill has said she went to Ohio State in the late 1980s. Her hiring still comes as a head-scratcher seeing how she was still freelancing in Chicago weeks before being on in Columbus.  The Doug, Mona, Jimmy & Jym era at WCMH was before my time, but from all indications Doug Adair was a real newsman's newsman, and was also a good guy all-around. I don't really critique anchors too much because I don't want them telling me how to do my job. I also personally know Colleen Marshall. A hell of a journalist, she is one of the nicest people you will ever meet. Her husband also used to work at WCMH as a photographer and editor.

Edited by H4UL4U
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

I'd give anything to see the Dave Kaylor Hobo story!   That and his dentures incident during a political convention in 2000.

If you can find it, dig up the Doug Adair tribute from Virgil Dominic. He said the most amazing thing about Doug Adair was that back in the day when they didn't have teleprompters, news people would memorize their scripts. Doug wouldn't do that, he ad-libbed everything. Although this was before my time, that's what they said Chet Long used to do. I've also found that public speakers who ad-lib tend to give more interesting presentations than people who read a speech. (Kasich is a good example of this and, dare I say Trump?)

10 minutes ago, Breaking News said:

However, I had a crush on Michelle Gailiun on Channel 6. 

This was back in the 1970's (?) when I was still in high school. Mona Scott (in her WLWC days), Vicki Grant, Angela Pace, among others,  all caught my attention and I don't typically have crushes on black chicks. Maybe it was those teenage hormones, but she was very good looking when she first started.

Edited by DirtyHarry
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Not just the middle finger incident.  At Kaylor retirement, she threw some lightweight shade at Kaylor.  Again, these two were never friendly vs. his relationship with Andrea Cambern which were more happy & friendly.

When she jumped over to 10TV she became a terror.  Not just her but some other talent who've jumped from the competition that goes over there the attitude does change.  I won't speak badly of Chris Bradley, because he died.  However, he was a nice man, but I did hear the conversation himself about Mike Davis.  I'm just leaving it at that.  I do think the folks at BNS ego got big because of the #1 status and big paychecks.

7 minutes ago, H4UL4U said:

OK, one more off-topic post 😀. Since being on at WCMH Darlene Hill has said she went to Ohio State in the late 1980s. Her hiring still comes as a head-scratcher seeing how she was still freelancing in Chicago weeks before being on in Columbus.  The Doug, Mona, Jimmy & Jym era at WCMH was before my time, but from all indications Doug Adair was a real newsman's newsman, and was also a good guy all-around. I don't really critique anchors too much because I don't want them telling me how to do my job. I also personally know Colleen Marshall. A hell of a journalist, she is one of the nicest people you will ever meet, and isn't at all on TV for the fame. Her husband also used to work at WCMH as a photographer and editor.

I was always a fan of Colleen Marshall her doing weekends and moving up to Angela spot on the weekdays.  She went back to school and got her law degree while doing the news.  She looks really great, and she continues to be some of the last talent there.  Plus she has been there 30+ years too.

• Like 1

According to Wikipedia, Tegna made $698.4 million in operating profit. According to one of the Articles yesterday, the purchase price for WTHR and WBNS was 7.9 times earnings. Doing some quick math, that backs out to about $68 million dollars in profit.

Can two mid-market stations really account for 10% of the profit of a 50 station chain? Will Tegna management be able to keep these stations as profitable as they are?

19 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

Which to be honest KOCO would've suffered regardless if it was traded to (then) Hearst-Argyle or not because Oklahoma City is a market where loyalty matters the most and viewers have been loyal to KWTV and KFOR (despite a number of ownership changes with the latter) for decades and for KOCO and KOKH they're basically screwed over (and I'm not even going to go there on KOKH for obvious reasons)

If you want a true competitive market you'd have to either go up the Turner Turnpike to Tulsa, go north or south on I-35 to @Georgie56's territory in Dallas and Wichita respectively or West on I-40 to Amarillo (Fort Smith has been dominated by KFSM for many years so I wouldn't suggest going east on I-40)

I thought that OKC had become fairly competitive in recent years, and that KOCO had risen a bit? And KOTV dominates Tulsa, and I think KVII is dominant in Amarillo but I might be mistaken there. Pretty sure KWCH usually wins all time slots in Wichtia.

Edit: As of last year, OKC was pretty competitive: https://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/spreading-wildfire-78823

Edited by cg41386

8 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

According to Wikipedia, Tegna made $698.4 million in operating profit. According to one of the Articles yesterday, the purchase price for WTHR and WBNS was 7.9 times earnings. Doing some quick math, that backs out to about $68 million dollars in profit.

Can two mid-market stations really account for 10% of the profit of a 50 station chain? Will Tegna management be able to keep these stations as profitable as they are?

Certainly possible but the stations will see less of that back since each station will have to share profits among the others. One of the downsides of these large groups is that the good stations prop up the poor ones (fiscally speaking).

16 minutes ago, cg41386 said:

I thought that OKC had become fairly competitive in recent years, and that KOCO had risen a bit? And KOTV dominates Tulsa, and I think KVII is dominant in Amarillo but I might be mistaken there. Pretty sure KWCH usually wins all time slots in Wichtia.

Edit: As of last year, OKC was pretty competitive: https://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/spreading-wildfire-78823

It's what happens when nobody in my area seems to care about how our local stations are doing (if they going up or down, stayed the same). 

Maybe I should create a blog devoted to TV ratings for the Oklahoma City and Tulsa metro areas

FYI: That was from around 2006 or 2007 because it mentions Dr. Phil (which has since moved to KWTV), Christina's Court and Judge Maria Lopez (which was canceled LONG time ago)

If you do have the most recent ratings sweeps for my area feel free to message that to me so I can post it in the appropriate thread devoted to the sweeps. Thank you

Edited by oknewsguy

Jesus Christ, I need to proofread. That article IS from around that time. Then why does it say March 16, 2018???

Anyway, disregard what I said about OKC. I just thought I had read somewhere that the ratings had become more competitive.

On 6/12/2019 at 12:08 AM, Breaking News said:

Jim Finnerty (and when he was Jim Finerty) was at WJW/WJKW in the '70s and early '80s where he was a weekend evening anchor and also the original co-host of the city's version of "PM Magazine" from 1979 (when Channel 8 started airing it) until 1982.

Robin Meade was also in Columbus as well (she too was at WJW before, but as an anchor trainee).  

I should add that Bill Martin was at WUAB before he went over to WJW in 1994 right about the time the CBS-Fox switch took place.

Plus, Duane Pohlman worked with Ted Hart at WEWS before they would reunite years later at WCMH.

2 hours ago, CLETVFan said:

Jim Finnerty (and when he was Jim Finerty) was at WJW/WJKW in the '70s and early '80s where he was a weekend evening anchor and also the original co-host of the city's version of "PM Magazine" from 1979 (when Channel 8 started airing it) until 1982.

Robin Meade was also in Columbus as well (she too was at WJW before, but as an anchor trainee).  

I should add that Bill Martin was at WUAB before he went over to WJW in 1994 right about the time the CBS-Fox switch took place.

Plus, Duane Pohlman worked with Ted Hart at WEWS before they would reunite years later at WCMH.

A lot of talent from Cleveland has come to Columbus, and a lot of talent from Columbus have gone to Cleveland.  Too many to list!

3 hours ago, Breaking News said:

A lot of talent from Cleveland has come to Columbus, and a lot of talent from Columbus have gone to Cleveland.  Too many to list!

If you take Akron and Canton (and possibly Mansfield) of the Cleveland area, it would roughly compare with the Columbus area population-wise. 

Cleveland has more suburbs and Columbus' population has swelled over the last two decades without a lot of major suburbs or cities in the viewing area.

And in terms of TV coverage, Akron and Canton may as not exist anymore since the stations based there either have been re-focused on Cleveland or stripped of any local content (like WVPX and WRLM). 

If they were further away, they could qualify as their own market or markets.

Edited by tyrannical bastard