TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

1 hour ago, CLETVFan said:

Could TEGNA force Jerry Revish out at WBNS or let him leave on his own terms?

It going to take by the end of the year before the deal is approved.  I do see many of the older established talent moving into retirement. 

Jerry is 70 yrs old.  Any changes will be 2020 going into 2021.  I do see Jerry, Dom and probably Angela Pace (who upstairs) who are high price talent.

Despite somethings, I don't like about TEGNA, it not as bad as Sinclair or Nexstar. 

6 minutes ago, ColumbusNewsFan said:

WCMH and WBNS has stories about on their websites. WSYX hasn't mentioned it at all.

Dispatch did on their website as well too.

https://www.dispatch.com/news/20190611/wolfe-family-sells-broadcast-group-including-wbns-tv-for-535-million

Nothing on 5pm news.

1 hour ago, TexasTVNews said:

Have 'BNS and 'THR reported this on their local news tonight?

Here is your official TEGNA Breaking News graphic for your collection.

Use it only for good...and never evil.

image.png.c516589ca0261b6711f1b6f43f4f9c5e.png

Edited by Eat News
Shaun,Ovan-She's a Hipster .. https://youtu.be/ZlAz7EuzViA
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, H4UL4U said:

I'm too lazy to find the exact post about folks with 30+ years experience...Dispatch already took care of that to a degree. About a year ago they had a round of layoffs that didn't make the news. A dozen folks -- some even in sales (bad sign) were layed off or forced to retire. Others were in engineering or promotions.

Willing to bet that zero members of their staff are surprised by this. I did think, though, they'd at least wait until after the election.

EDIT: TEGNA saying they now reach 2/3 of Ohioans makes sense. WBNS is carried on cable much farther than the other Columbus stations.

10TV’s cable penetration is insane... they reach as far west as Dayton, as far south as Scioto County, as far north as the Cleveland area (on cable) and as far east as Parkersburg/Charleston, WV. 

Edited by ColDayNews
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Still need Dayton (not going to happen anytime soon) and Cincinnati (very possible?) to get close to full coverage of Ohio. It may not be as valuable as we think since the state is trending red so it may not be a swing state in the future...

Gannett could have had WLWT after the Multimedia purchase, but the newspaper rule put the kibosh on that.  Wasn't it some kind of swap with WGRZ and KOCO and Hearst-Argyle?

And thanks to the overlapping signal rule at the time, that forced Hearst-Argyle to dump WDTN in Dayton for WLWT.

If Hearst ever goes to Tegna, that's how they get Cincinnati back.  The other markets are too tiny and in the hands of parties that won't sell any time soon (especially WFMJ, Lima and WHIZ).

Edited by tyrannical bastard
editing double post

37 minutes ago, ColumbusNewsFan said:

The word is They are NOT happy with what is going on at Twin Rivers Dr. Right now.

They should have known that it was only a matter of time. A two-station company can't compete in the current environment. It would be different if they were an independent station, but as a network affiliate they have too much to lose.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ColDayNews said:

10TV’s cable penetration is insane... they reach as far west as Dayton, as far south as Scioto County, as far north as the Cleveland area (on cable) and as far east as Parkersburg/Charleston, WV. 

I can believe reaching the outskirts of Dayton (especially Springfield).  The Columbus market totally surrounds the Zanesville area (Muskingum County) and extends all the way to Morgan, Noble and Guernsey Counties. 

WTAP has only had WIYE-LD on the air for a few years, so WSYX and WBNS are still available in Parkersburg along with the other Charleston-Huntington stations.

As for Cleveland area, that's probably stretching it a bit much.  It reaches the fringes like Mansfield and New Philadelphia (especially South Tuscarawas County).  WOIO getting CBS probably had a lot to do with this since it had less reach than WJW.

Before Lima got their own stations aside from WLIO, I believe WBNS made it all the way up there as well.

Long time 10TV reporter Maureen Kocot quietly retired. They used to have such a strong bench of reporters. 

I had a feeling after they renovated their studios a few years ago that they were preparing the station for a sale. 

Edited by 8Viewer

19 minutes ago, DirtyHarry said:

They should have known that it was only a matter of time. A two-station company can't compete in the current environment. It would be different if they were an independent station, but as a network affiliate they have too much to lose.

Yeah, and I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell.  They didn't know.? They knew because it was a couple of BNS employees that told me that it was a matter of time.  The Dispatch, ONN and it was only a matter of time before they would sell.  The old man died and his children didn't see any interest in owning a television operation.  The problem has been the folks at BNS has rode the wave for a long time, and being a family owned station they had it all.  Now, they have to compete in this new era being held by a company that owns more than (2) stations.  Yes, The Wolfe family has had its hand in a lot of things, but they knew it was a matter of time.  The hiring of Ms. Harris from down the street was a band-aid to keep the popularity of the station brand going.

22 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Gannett could have had WLWT after the Multimedia purchase, but the newspaper rule put the kibosh on that.  Wasn't it some kind of swap with WGRZ and KOCO and Hearst-Argyle?

And thanks to the overlapping signal rule at the time, that forced Hearst-Argyle to dump WDTN in Dayton for WLWT.

If Hearst ever goes to Tegna, that's how they get Cincinnati back.  The other markets are too tiny and in the hands of parties that won't sell any time soon (especially WFMJ, Lima and WHIZ).

Gannett did own WLWT back in the 90s, so you want them back under TEGNA control.  Hearst has made gains with WLWT moving #2 in early evening moving WCPO (3rd).  I see Hearst as stable and steady. They have their hands in other areas besides media.  If Cox (Terrier) don't work out. I definitely want Hearst getting Cox stations.  

11 minutes ago, 8Viewer said:

Long time 10TV reporter Maureen Kocot quietly retired. They used to have such a strong bench of reporters. 

It wasn't as quiet. Yolanda gave her a shout out and it was put out there.  Now another one has left that was very quiet.  Was Shelby Kroft who came from WISN.

56 minutes ago, ColumbusNewsFan said:

The word is They are NOT happy with what is going on at Twin Rivers Dr. Right now.

Well, guess what? They knew it was a matter of time. I had spoken to a couple of BNS employees who told me that they knew the writing was on the wall. What are they upset about?  Are they upset that the children didn't want to keep the station? That 535 million looks good and the family will keep their real estate holdings.  Gimme a break! Yes, it an end of an era I will say that, but the folks at TEN TV have been spoiled. Now they know what the folks at WSYX & WCMH have gone through over the years.  They will be ok.

Edited by Breaking News
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Weeters said:

$535 million for all of that isn't cheap, but it's definitely not what this collection of stations would have sold for 10 years ago.

We're seeing a lot of these sales not because the companies necessarily have "deep pockets", but because the stations value has plummeted to the point where groups like Tegna don't have to reach nearly as deep into said pockets to buy them.

What kind of price would WBNS and WTHR have gone for in 2009? Because $535 million feels like a massive sum to me, even now.

8 minutes ago, Breaking News said:

Now another one has left that was very quiet.  Was Shelby Kroft who came from WISN.

Within days of Kocot.  But it looks like they both landed gigs with the State of Ohio.  (See Twitter...)

2 minutes ago, ttvn2000 said:

Within days of Kocot.  But it looks like they both landed gigs with the State of Ohio.  (See Twitter...)

I knew Maureen was going to the State but didn't know Shelby got a State job too.  WOW!  Another thing is WBNS doesn't have a main weekend evening anchor.

They've been having Jerry, Shelby, Scott and a series of rotation anchors do weekend evenings.

1 minute ago, Breaking News said:

I knew Maureen was going to the State but didn't know Shelby got a State job too.  WOW!  Another thing is WBNS doesn't have a main weekend evening anchor.

They've been having Jerry, Shelby, Scott and a series of rotation anchors do weekend evenings.

I’m assuming because she’s been retweeting from the Ohio Dept of Agriculture...much like Kocot and the Department of Natural Resources.

And...I didn’t know about the vacant weekend position.  I’m assuming Karina Nova doesn’t want that gig?  (I think she’s the rising star in the WBNS Tegna era, if she sticks around.)

1 minute ago, ttvn2000 said:

I’m assuming because she’s been retweeting from the Ohio Dept of Agriculture...much like Kocot and the Department of Natural Resources.

And...I didn’t know about the vacant weekend position.  I’m assuming Karina Nova doesn’t want that gig?  (I think she’s the rising star in the WBNS Tegna era, if she sticks around.)

I kept wondering why Karina Nova, didn't want the job. She had been traffic anchor and definitely a rising star, and thought she would be good in that role.  I hope she does sticks around. TEGNA likes young people.

• Like 1

Just now, Breaking News said:

kept wondering why Karina Nova, didn't want the job. She had been traffic anchor and definitely a rising star, and thought she would be good in that role.  I hope she does sticks around. TEGNA likes young people.

Not to speculate, but I could see her basically replacing Tracy Townsend (and presumably her hefty paycheck).

6 minutes ago, ttvn2000 said:

Not to speculate, but I could see her basically replacing Tracy Townsend (and presumably her hefty paycheck).

I see Jerry moving into retirement. He 70 yrs old, and I see Dom & Angela Pace (who upstairs) all moving into retirement once things settle down.   I would see Tracy & Mike being the more established ones still there. 

As well Yolanda, and I was told BNS paid some big bucks to bring her from down the street.  Now I don't know, but under Sinclair, she was barely hitting $100,000.  I assume they pony up at least $200,000.  Andrea Cambern was making 250+ but when Angela Pace was doing the news she was making close to $500,000 and even got more when she moved upstairs. That why I think she will retire because of her paycheck.  

Edited by Breaking News
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, channel2 said:

What kind of price would WBNS and WTHR have gone for in 2009? Because $535 million feels like a massive sum to me, even now.

A while back, I guesstimated that they were worth $400 mm based on a multiple of revenues. Revenues have gone down, but it seems like they must have improved their profit margins. 

Also remember, it wasn't just John Wolfe and family who owned the stations. A lot of the other cousins also have ownership. I think there was an FCC filing somewhere which gives the percentages.

15 minutes ago, Breaking News said:

I kept wondering why Karina Nova, didn't want the job. She had been traffic anchor and definitely a rising star, and thought she would be good in that role.  I hope she does sticks around. TEGNA likes young people.

She doesn't do anything for me.

14 minutes ago, ttvn2000 said:

I like her well enough. For the most part, the best Columbus anchors have always been rejects from bigger markets.

9 minutes ago, DirtyHarry said:

I like her well enough. For the most part, the best Columbus anchors have always been rejects from bigger markets.

True that.

I’m still sad Andrea Cambern “retired” - and it’s been 7 years. 😬

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Breaking News said:

Gannett did own WLWT back in the 90s, so you want them back under TEGNA control.  Hearst has made gains with WLWT moving #2 in early evening moving WCPO (3rd).  I see Hearst as stable and steady. They have their hands in other areas besides media.  If Cox (Terrier) don't work out. I definitely want Hearst getting Cox stations. 

It was a short ownership because of their Enquirer ownership and was under a temporary waiver.  It would have been OK under the old Gannett but definitely not under the current TEGNA.  They're in a good place now.

And WZZM was the other swapped station in the deal that sent KOCO as well to Hearst-Argyle.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DirtyHarry said:

A while back, I guesstimated that they were worth $400 mm based on a multiple of revenues. Revenues have gone down, but it seems like they must have improved their profit margins. 

Also remember, it wasn't just John Wolfe and family who owned the stations. A lot of the other cousins also have ownership. I think there was an FCC filing somewhere which gives the percentages.

She doesn't do anything for me.

Maybe in this climate, but over the years many other names in the market came from smaller markets and made a name for themselves.

Edited by Breaking News

2 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

It was a short ownership because of their Enquirer ownership and was under a temporary waiver.  It would have been OK under the old Gannett but definitely not under the current TEGNA.  They're in a good place now.

And WZZM was the other swapped station in the deal that sent KOCO as well to Hearst-Argyle.

Which to be honest KOCO would've suffered regardless if it was traded to (then) Hearst-Argyle or not because Oklahoma City is a market where loyalty matters the most and viewers have been loyal to KWTV and KFOR (despite a number of ownership changes with the latter) for decades and for KOCO and KOKH they're basically screwed over (and I'm not even going to go there on KOKH for obvious reasons)

If you want a true competitive market you'd have to either go up the Turner Turnpike to Tulsa, go north or south on I-35 to @Georgie56's territory in Dallas and Wichita respectively or West on I-40 to Amarillo (Fort Smith has been dominated by KFSM for many years so I wouldn't suggest going east on I-40)

7 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

I forgot to mention with KFMB AM/FM in Tegna's pocket, they'll already expanding the radio business. I remember Gannett used to own radio stations when they acquired Combined Communications.

Also, in addition with buying WBNS-AM and WBNS-FM, Tegna would also own 2 radio networks, ONN Radio and the Radio Sound Network.

39 minutes ago, DirtyHarry said:

Who have been rejects from bigger markets? I don't think Colleen Marshall has worked anywhere else. Going back a ways, while yes, Doug Adair worked in bigger markets, he essentially worked at WCMH as a retirement job to be closer to home (he was from Xenia). I wouldn't exactly call him a "reject." Lots of folks have worked in the Columbus market to move on to bigger and better things who you probably didn't realize ever worked in the market.

Edited by H4UL4U