TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

13 minutes ago, TexasTVNews said:

My educated guess on why they haven't given this deal the early release from HSO or whatever is called is because they're probably still investigating Nexstar's plans to retain KNWA, KFTA and KXNW in Fort Smith/Fayetteville

2 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

My educated guess on why they haven't given this deal the early release from HSO or whatever is called is because they're probably still investigating Nexstar's plans to retain KNWA, KFTA and KXNW in Fort Smith/Fayetteville

If that's the issue, they would likely have to add KXNW to the deal.

3 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

If that's the issue, they would likely have to add KXNW to the deal.

There might be other markets in the Tegna deal where the DOJ might have an issue but Fort Smith might very well be the biggest issue, we'll see

1 hour ago, Greggo said:

Do it the ‘Tegna way’? Does that mean dropping into the ratings basement like WWL and WFAA? 

Except WFAA wasn't in the basement in the last sweeps. WWL has definitely dropped to 3rd though (but has so much open water ahead of WGNO...)

• Like 2

On 6/5/2019 at 11:15 PM, GoldenShine9 said:

Except WFAA wasn't in the basement in the last sweeps. WWL has definitely dropped to 3rd though (but has so much open water ahead of WGNO...)

WWL is #2 in a couple slots, #3 in a couple other slots and I think #1 in one of the early slots.

Edited by cg41386
  • Like 1

The point is WFAA and WWL used to own their respective markets. Dominant No. 1s. They’re now 2nd and 3rd in most time slots. WFAA didn’t win a single time slot in households or the 25-54 demo in November and their only May win was at 6p in households. They’re both shells of what they once were. 

Edited by Greggo

Just now, Georgie56 said:

And I bet Sinclair will go after Graham.

Graham screams Terrier. It's their only path into Texas and sorting out Jacksonville would be easier than having to sort out San Antonio and Roanoke.

Orlando is the easy: Scripps or Gray.

28 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

The consolidation won't stop until TEGNA, Nexstar, and Sinclair are the only broadcast groups left standing.

Something tells me @ColDayNews won't be happy about this.

I’m sick. 

However, it was bound to happen. The paper was sold in 2014. Daily circulation for the Dispatch had significantly dropped before that. Real estate is the Wolfes’ main cash cow, not broadcasting. 

Very sad day for Columbus media.

However, my focus is more on the guys who have been working at 777 Twin Rivers Drive for 30+ years and are now in danger of losing their jobs, or being forced into retirement...

Edited by ColDayNews
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, IndoTVNewsFan said:

I Called this three years ago when they first sold The Dispatch. I knew this was coming and THIS VERY COMPANY TOO!

Here the thing if you are Sinclair or Nexstar this morning... Columbus has just become a WIDE OPEN MARKET where WCMH or WSYX could EASILY be #1 in the market!

Edited by ColumbusNewsFan
  • Like 1

https://www.10tv.com/article/wolfe-family-sells-wbns-wthr-tegna-2019-jun

$535 million? (Per Business First.) For just those two stations? That's an indicator of how dominant those two stations were in their markets.

Think of it this way. Cox had how many stations and they sold for 3 billion? In other words, not too many buyers out there with the Deep Pockets to buy these stations.

Edited by DirtyHarry

8 minutes ago, ColumbusNewsFan said:

I Called this three years ago when they first sold The Dispatch. I knew this was coming and THIS VERY COMPANY TOO!

Three years ago, I may have been ok with this.  But what they have done with their stations since then, you may as well hand off the #1 position to WSYX....maybe WCMH.  They've trashed so many of the former Belo their own stations when they were part of Gannett...its still to be seen if they screw up their newer acquisitions.

So what's left for the Wolfe family....their foundation?  The Banks, Newspapers and Shoes are long gone.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ColumbusNewsFan said:

Here the thing if you are Sinclair or Nexstar this morning... Columbus has just become a WIDE OPEN MARKET where WCMH or WSYX could EASILY be #1 in the market!

I could definitely see NBC 4 getting back into #1. People know Colleen Marshall and Mark Taylor, and many in our market grew up with the former. NBC’s primetime lineup is a lot better now than it was 10 years ago as well when they lost that spot, so there is a quality lead-in now. Before NBC got their paws on WCMH they were their strongest affiliate — and later one of their strongest O&Os.

After NBC sold the station off, the news product took a huge hit with a lot of their quality reporters (i.e. Nancy Burton, Holly Hollingsworth, John Ivanic, Kyle Anderson, etc.) losing their jobs, their longtime ND (Stan Sanders) being fired, and the economic downturn. As cheap as Nexstar is, they’re slowly getting back what was there before Media General cut everything. 

Edited by ColDayNews