TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

1 hour ago, bhratbrat said:

How do you do KBMT considering its both an ABC and NBC affiliate?

I understand KFMB. 

Look at the First Coast News logo, they have both next to each other. In the open half the peacock is off screen and half the ABC logo on the other. 

1 hour ago, rkolsen said:

Look at the First Coast News logo, they have both next to each other. In the open half the peacock is off screen and half the ABC logo on the other. 

I'm surprised ABC and NBC allow that -- one would think that either/both networks would have a fit with them merged like that...

On 5/2/2019 at 2:42 AM, channel2 said:

Denver would probably be the better choice - since it's not as prone to excessive heat as Phoenix, either.

Or better yet eliminate hubs. They were practical a decade ago when master control first went tapeless, and the computers that ran the playlists and other equipment could be controlled from a hub. Now channel-in-a-box systems eliminate the need for a traditional master control. For live programming they easily interface with a traditional (or virtual) switcher that can be manned as required by existing station staff. I work at a hub station, and when stuff goes down it sucks troubleshooting whether it's something on their end, or a piece of equipment at the station because there is so much back-and-forth.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, H4UL4U said:

Or better yet eliminate hubs. They were practical a decade ago when master control first went tapeless, and the computers that ran the playlists and other equipment could be controlled from a hub. Now channel-in-a-box systems eliminate the need for a traditional master control. For live programming they easily interface with a traditional (or virtual) switcher that can be manned as required by existing station staff. I work at a hub station, and when stuff goes down it sucks troubleshooting whether it's something on their end, or a piece of equipment at the station because there is so much back-and-forth.   

Agreed.  I know firsthand that they are more trouble than they are worth.  Just with the back-and-forth of signals, all it takes is one bad link to screw it all up. 

Maybe in the event of a catastrophe, a company can have a "reserve" operation that they can bring online should one of their facilities go down. 

10 hours ago, H4UL4U said:

I think hubs are great. They are very efficient. I've never heard of "channel-in-a-box". What is it and how much "attention" does it need from "existing staff" (who I assume are not MC operators)?

I've worked at stations with different hub setups. One was completely hubbed and we never really had any technical issues (at least on air) that made me think it wasn't worth it.

Another was a hybrid setup where they had local operators during key portions of the day to do MC duties, but then during overnights and weekends, the hub took over. I don't know why it was hybrid instead of entirely hubbed. At first I thought it was a union thing, but then heard that the MC operators contract had a "no manning" clause, meaning the station was free to hire and fire according to whether there was enough work to do and they weren't required to employ a minimum number of employees. So now I'm guessing the union contract would not prevent going fully hubbed.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, channel2 said:

Won't TEGNA be able to fix the Justice Network? The one time I tuned in, KUSA's feed was real, real janky.

It probably wasn’t on the Justice Network’s end.  They transmit the network in good quality. However KUSA has the main NBC network in HD to carry and three SD sub channels.  Chances are there’s not enough bandwidth in the pipe for a good quality signal for each sub channels.  The NBC feed will get use the most data out of the pipe and the rest are divided up as needed.  However I can guarantee that if KUSA is carrying NFL or high motion sports all the sub channels will suffer.  If it’s low motion things like a newscast you might notice an improvement on the other channels. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, PTVNews said:

I think hubs are great. They are very efficient. I've never heard of "channel-in-a-box". What is it and how much "attention" does it need from "existing staff" (who I assume are not MC operators)?

I've worked at stations with different hub setups. One was completely hubbed and we never really had any technical issues (at least on air) that made me think it wasn't worth it.

Two examples are Grass Valley iTX and Florical Acuitas. Rather than having separate PCs running playlists, cacheing, ingest, QC'ing, prep, etc. it's all in one system. Even EAS and CGs for legal IDs and snipes are from the box as well. Harris I think even makes a system that will do that on top of clips for a newscast. They just seem to streamline a lot of things that all have to connect to each other in one integrated "box".

Edited by H4UL4U

16 hours ago, H4UL4U said:

Harris I think even makes a system that will do that on top of clips for a newscast. They just seem to streamline a lot of things that all have to connect to each other in one integrated "box".

...and when that box fails after the power supply gets zapped during a lightning storm...

"One Box Solutions" are a bad idea unless you want to be a slave to "the box".

Edited by Eat News
www.11foot8.com
  • Like 2

This is also Tegna.

“The new video -- released as part of a WFAA exclusive in partnership with the Investigative Network -- fuels the Bland family’s suspicions that Texas officials withheld evidence in her controversial arrest and, later, her death”

https://www.wfaa.com/mobile/article/news/investigations/sandra-bland-recorded-her-own-arrest-watch-her-cellphone-video-from-the-2015-traffic-stop/287-44ff2f5b-f481-48c3-a5ca-fad15296d979

DALLAS — WFAA Marketing wants to hear from you.

We are looking for WFAA fans, and non-fans, to share their opinion about us. We may be contacting you for surveys, opinion sharing and special opportunities.

We will not share your contact information outside of WFAA and TEGNA. 

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/wfaa-wants-your-opinion/287-3352da1e-f608-45c3-b6fc-20b6f880b363

51 minutes ago, TexasTVNews said:

DALLAS — WFAA Marketing wants to hear from you.

We are looking for WFAA fans, and non-fans, to share their opinion about us. We may be contacting you for surveys, opinion sharing and special opportunities.

We will not share your contact information outside of WFAA and TEGNA. 

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/wfaa-wants-your-opinion/287-3352da1e-f608-45c3-b6fc-20b6f880b363

Go for it, bro. As my parents would always tell me, put your applications in everywhere

As was posted on the KFMB thread, the news staff are fostering a dog (Scoop) until it gets adopted. Now, WUSA is building out part of their newsroom for a play area for dogs (to allow folks to bring their dogs to work) 🙄.

Edited by H4UL4U
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, H4UL4U said:

Now, WUSA is building out part of their newsroom for a play area for dogs (to allow folks to bring their dogs to work) 🙄.

Something something modern workplace...something something millennials...something something avocado toast.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

58 minutes ago, H4UL4U said:

As was posted on the KFMB thread, the news staff are fostering a dog (Scoop) until it gets adopted. Now, WUSA is building out part of their newsroom for a play area for dogs (to allow folks to bring their dogs to work) 🙄.

Good for both stations!

6 hours ago, tw-804 said:

Good for both stations!

This is just another ploy by Tegna to replace experienced anchors and reporters ...

...with their very own pets.

image.png.1fd554efef5b53454b1a3b505dcc3bbf.png

Edited by Eat News
It's a dog whistle - Twice TV- Fancy ep 8 .. https://youtu.be/Q1pLXAR6aHI
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Crain's Cleveland Business has an interesting article on how a (fingers-crossed) successful Browns team benefits the stations.

https://www.crainscleveland.com/kevin-kleps-blog/browns-resurgence-good-everyone-cleveland-tv-industry

The author seems to be poking a bit of fun at WKYC's 'director of content:'

One other note from our conversations with the TV networks about the Browns: Northeast Ohio native Adam Miller, WKYC's director of content, had been a senior producer for the "Today" show prior to returning to the area. Miller had this to say about the sports-mad region: "It's been interesting in the eight months I've been here to see how much sports drives news for this town."

My sources — social media, TV, the internet, my 10-year-old daughter, the horns that blared downtown after LeBron James announced his return, the insane parade that followed two years later and the NFL draft's former status as Cleveland's Super Bowl — say that is accurate.

#ThisIsTegna