TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

More Koo Koo Roo's...

Is everyone getting the same open?

It needs shots of Dingos running in the outback...

Edited by Eat News
Aunt Becky Could Die in Prison for College Cheating Scandal

I know Tegna isn't as good as Gannett Broadcasting used to be, but I will say that some of their stations are usually on top of severe weather coverage.  KUSA/KTVD, WXIA/WATL, WWL/WUPL do seem to be the first to have live streams up for severe weather coverage on their respective websites compared to other stations in the market.   With that said, all Tegna stations could do a much better job at covering the NEWS than they do, to me it almost seems as if news coverage has become and afterthought and that's not good for anyone.   As far as graphics go, this package they have on air now is really bland--I think they could have & should have done more.

7 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

That's the time when the website's live stream starts working. Five minutes before the next news broadcast. It's on all the Tegna sites.

Oh that reminds me of our old Admiral 19inch Color TV that needed about 3 minutes for the tubes to warm up, and come to life.

Ohhh....The Glow....

Edited by Eat News
Because We Can.
  • Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

A post on the broadcasting subreddit says that KUSA's master control is soon going to be hubbed from TEGNA's centralcasting hub in Jacksonville. I did not realize KUSA still had in-house master? Wonder how that will work with all their translators.

Edited by H4UL4U
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, H4UL4U said:

I did not realize KUSA still had in-house master? Wonder how that will work with all their translators. 

Good question...

I would love to see a path map and equipment breakdown for those sites and how all those are fed and managed. I love the stories about these little translator districts and how they manage to import OTA TV pictures hundreds of miles away with just an old microwave transmitter and a few paper clips.

Now you have to have all the subchannels and super dooper dolby sound (where available).

Edited by Eat News
KSCO 1080 AM Live Beach Cam .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a53WnQRT7gY

46 minutes ago, Eat News said:

Good question...

I would love to see a path map and equipment breakdown for those sites and how all those are fed and managed. I love the stories about these little translator districts and how they manage to import OTA TV pictures hundreds of miles away with just an old microwave transmitter and a few paper clips.

Now you have to have all the subchannels and super dooper dolby sound (where available).

Some of them are pretty amazing. One had two hops over various mountains before reaching the town which then had a main translator and two rebroadcasters from that. I’d be curious about the latency and the additional compression as some districts squeeze two or more stations + their sub channels on the translator. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, H4UL4U said:

A post on the broadcasting subreddit says that KUSA's master control is soon going to be hubbed from TEGNA's centralcasting hub in Jacksonville. I did not realize KUSA still had in-house master? Wonder how that will work with all their translators.

I would have thought that KUSA & KTVD would have been hubbed out of Jacksonville a long time ago.   Interesting!   I wonder how that will affect DBL if at all?

Edited by DENDude

13 minutes ago, DENDude said:

I would have thought that KUSA & KTVD would have been hubbed out of Jacksonville a long time ago.   Interesting!   I wonder how that will affect DBL if at all?

I imagine DBL will not be affected unless for some reason TEGNA decides to decommission their uplink dishes at KUSA.  I don’t think there’s an outside distributor for the show so TEGNA would be doing it all.  I’m not sure how national commercials are rolled whether it comes from a master control source or straight from the production gallery.

10 hours ago, rkolsen said:

I imagine DBL will not be affected unless for some reason TEGNA decides to decommission their uplink dishes at KUSA.  I don’t think there’s an outside distributor for the show so TEGNA would be doing it all.  I’m not sure how national commercials are rolled whether it comes from a master control source or straight from the production gallery.

I don't really have complete knowledge of the process but I know at least some stations bring in the DBL feed through their TVU receivers. IDK what path the signal goes before that and/or info about commercial insertion. Guessing it's similar to a network feed where there would be a spot or 2 for local fill. 

4 hours ago, PTVNews said:

I don't really have complete knowledge of the process but I know at least some stations bring in the DBL feed through their TVU receivers. IDK what path the signal goes before that and/or info about commercial insertion. Guessing it's similar to a network feed where there would be a spot or 2 for local fill. 

That’s pretty cheap if they are distributing a show through the TVU network. They’d have to uplink it anyway for those out of the TEGNA station group.  Then you have the signal quality and latency issues of transmitting a show over the public internet.  I known they distribute news content (breaking news feeds or live shots of national news) for distribution where PQ isn’t needed. 

Edit: Here’s some info on how DBL uses TVU it’s a secondary feed,  they use it for “satellite tours” for TEGNA stations before the show, and live hits during the show. 

https://www.thebroadcastbridge.com/content/entry/12538/tegnas-daily-blast-live-finds-new-path-for-multi-station-live-contribution

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

I find it interesting how the peacock wasn't included in this overhaul as a logo addendum because it's REQUIRED by TEGNA that all network affiliate's branding appears in local logos.

Image result for News West 9

KBMT and KFMB don't do it, either.

On 4/29/2019 at 12:35 AM, H4UL4U said:

It seems like it should be the other way around.   After seeing the beating that Panama City took after Michael, Denver seems like a much better place to house a broadcast hub than Jacksonville...

20 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

It seems like it should be the other way around.   After seeing the beating that Panama City took after Michael, Denver seems like a much better place to house a broadcast hub than Jacksonville...

I agree, especially with Jacksonville being in a hurricane-prone area (and to a lesser degree Greensboro where the CBS hub is), but with these hubs having been in place since 2008 it's hard to go back now. I think, though, it's relatively easy for an individual station to switch their Crispin automation to spoke mode, and operate locally.

• Like 1

KWES now has the Tegna website layout. Pretty much all traces of Raycom are gone from it too now.

I agree that Jacksonville is not a good place for a hub. If I were to pick somewhere, either Denver or Phoenix would be best, since they aren't in big hurricane, tornado or seismic areas that could immobilize a station.

On 4/28/2019 at 10:35 PM, H4UL4U said:

All this time, I thought KPNX was hubbed out of KUSA since the move out of 1101 N. Central.