TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

24 minutes ago, Greggo said:

Considering KIII/Corpus got a used set from WUSA and KCEN/Waco got one from KUSA, I’d be shocked if KWES got something new. Both Waco and Corpus are larger markets than Midland. (Waco is actually more than 50 markets bigger.) WFAA essentially refreshed its old set. KVUE and KENS got the set in a box. Neither KVUE nor KENS had a “fancy” set worth saving like the two recycled ones mentioned above, but who knows. Maybe KWES will get the KHOU temporary set when they move to their new digs. Or not. 

Or they could wind up with WVEC's old set if they didn't already throw the whole thing in the trash.

• 3 weeks later...

In a move that makes zero sense, WWL-TV will start paid interview hour...err, I mean local lifestyle show Great Day Louisiana Monday 1/21 at 9 a.m., bumping Live with Kelly and Ryan to their sister station WUPL. Great Day Louisiana will follow similar shows on other TEGNA stations, based on the show demo reel that's just clips of other markets.

I guess TEGNA decided they could drag WWL's morning ratings even lower.

Edited by mightynine
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, mightynine said:

In a move that makes zero sense, WWL-TV will start paid interview hour...err, I mean local lifestyle show Great Day Louisiana Monday 1/21 at 9 a.m., bumping Live with Kelly and Ryan to their sister station WUPL. Great Day Louisiana will follow similar shows on other TEGNA stations, based on the show demo reel that's just clips of other markets.

I don’t understand this move, either....

But, you know what? Suppose Tegna would have kept the 7-9a portion of Eyewitness Morning News on WWL, in addition to having Great Day Louisiana on at 9a. It would have made, I think, 5 1/2 hours straight of locally produced news/programming in the morning on WWL, and their ratings probably would have been higher, as a result....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, J1975am said:

I don’t understand this move, either....

But, you know what? Suppose Tegna would have kept the 7-9a portion of Eyewitness Morning News on WWL, in addition to having Great Day Louisiana on at 9a. It would have made, I think, 5 1/2 hours straight of locally produced news/programming in the morning on WWL, and their ratings probably would have been higher, as a result....

Instead, WVUE is king from 7-9 a.m. now and don't be surprised that WVUE, just having added a 9 a.m. hour of its morning news last year, beats WWL with this crappy interview/lifestyle talk show.

2 hours ago, mightynine said:

This is beyond inexplicable. If this was Steve, Dr. Oz or Wendy, I could maybe understand why...but this is still the number one 9am syndicated show. It's outlasted 20+ clones. And you replace it with the same round of roofers and questionable plastic surgeons that pollute the airwaves in other parts of the day? And you shove that show off to a MyNetworkTV affiliate where it leads into...Sister Circle, which has its own completely incompatible audience, and the audience flow just dies even more from there.

They cancelled The 504 a couple years ago; why not bring that back (yeah, it was DOA leading in and out of MyNet, but still)? It seems like a novelty name for the process that Tegna puts their stations through to bring them in line with corporate standards is spreading, and sadly, there's no cure.

If I'm laying down odds, it's 75% Disney-ABC tears up their deal with WWL and bumps to WVUE in September (WDSU's stuck with Today's Third Hour, and WGNO has Wendy and even with a complete Nexstar "Local"ization, that part of the schedule needs no changes).

WWL has made a very smart move here...

Keep those local ad dollars at home...and under the Tenga roof.

I don't think Tegna has been passing these shows off as some kind of newscast. Sure there is a news element inside the shows such as a headlines and wx segment, but the rest is just ads.

Mira,

Your morning newscast is produced by your news department and it's  operating budget is under news. The sales department sells spots on this show to support the Tv station.

The concept of the "lifestyle" show is very simple.

Many small businesses cannot afford to buy a whole entire "run" of commercials. 50 commercials can run $50,000 in a medium size market...that's a lot of money for some mom and pop coffee house that only wants maybe 1 commercial previewing their new location or flavor of grind.

The TV stations figured out that besides all the humane societies pimping puppies, and other "non-profits" out there looking for publicity; there was a whole bunch of others(advertisers) wanting to get on those shows who would pay to be on for just a few mins.

"How about a nice 5 minute interview and product demo with our fine hostess for say.....$2500? ... Spend $4000 and I will give you a live truck at your location for that product demo."

I run this all under a separate budget non-news budget so we can keep the ND happy about the lifestyle show "creeping" into his news barn....keeping news and lifestyle in different columns.

As far as ABC goes...

Money talks...and Tegna is fairly sure they will make more money this way.

It's a very wise move that keeps the money local.

Edited by Eat News
Opened With A Christmas Ornament! Move N Store MP70 Disc Padlock https://youtu.be/tPXqTQsk5o4
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Eat News said:

WWL has made a very smart move here...

Keep those local ad dollars at home...and under the Tenga roof.

I don't think Tegna has been passing these shows off as some kind of newscast. Sure there is a news element inside the shows such as a headlines and wx segment, but the rest is just ads.

Mira,

Your morning newscast is produced by your news department and it's  operating budget is under news. The sales department sells spots on this show to support the Tv station.

The concept of the "lifestyle" show is very simple.

Many small businesses cannot afford to buy a whole entire "run" of commercials. 50 commercials can run $50,000 in a medium size market...that's a lot of money for some mom and pop coffee house that only wants maybe 1 commercial previewing their new location or flavor of grind.

The TV stations figured out that besides all the humane societies and other "non-profits" out there looking for publicity; the was a whole bunch of others wanting to get on those shows who would pay to be on for just a few mins.

"How about a nice 5 minute interview and product demo with our fine hostess for say.....$2500? ... Spend $4000 and I will give you a live truck at your location for that product demo."

I run this all under a separate budget non-news budget so we can keep the ND happy about the lifestyle show "creeping" into his news barn....keeping news and lifestyle in different columns.

As far as ABC goes...

Money talks...and Tegna is fairly sure they will make more money this way.

It's a very wise move that keeps the money local.

If they are moving lIve to a different station that makes me think that the contract is ending soon. 

As for what what you said even if they are getting hash Marks they are likely getting more money than running a syndicated show.  

Do these shows use regular news people or some hire specifically for the show?  WMAR uses a separate host for Midday Maryland and I think WBFF uses a traffic anchor along with some one else.

43 minutes ago, rkolsen said:

If they are moving lIve to a different station that makes me think that the contract is ending soon. 

As for what what you said even if they are getting hash Marks they are likely getting more money than running a syndicated show.  

Do these shows use regular news people or some hire specifically for the show?  WMAR uses a separate host for Midday Maryland and I think WBFF uses a traffic anchor along with some one else.

Most have separate host...sometimes even a recently "retired" newsperson.   You want to have that separation of duties between departments (and budgets), otherwise you can have legal issues that you don't need, and the community see's right through the deception.

Shows are getting better at drawing that 'line"

Now...with lower cost of  LiveU , we can send a production department employee or even a freelancer who is assigned just to that show.  Some cities have an entire outside production teams produce the show while only using the station set and studios.

Most the smarter operators and trying to keep a clear line between news and paid...but it's still an evolving "standard".

Lifestyle shows are here to stay, and they will evolve hopefully for the better of the local community...and not the reps in NYC.

The lifestyle show is not about ratings...it's about selling little chunks of TV time that you completely control.

Edited by Eat News
Visit to Slab City https://youtu.be/2YX0UgAPr_4
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, mightynine said:

Move a popular syndicated talk show that's been a staple of your station for years to a low-rated station in favor of a pay-for-play morning show. Surely this won't backfire!

Edited by Georgie56

1 hour ago, Eat News said:

Most the smarter operators and trying to keep a clear line between news and paid...but it's still an evolving "standard".

One thing some shows need to do in my mind is to have a separate graphics package. In that five minute sample reel from WWL almost half used the standard TEGNA graphics.  If they want viewers to know the difference they either need to create a custom package or highly modify the standard templates (like maybe a distinct background for the lower thirds).  Additionally it would be best to come from a different set or a redresssed set area.  See these examples from newly launched CA Live.

6AEDBF77-95CE-42C5-8EA7-1D64657117A3.thumb.jpeg.f1bcb486049088dc1f3feda5feeaa62f.jpeg

717125F0-A88A-4813-844F-7CDFB8876FD4.thumb.jpeg.d24ce01bc11b88105160a12284f0376c.jpeg9D6D9754-C032-4AF2-BF48-B96AB12E9EE8.thumb.jpeg.b24754effbbf9a44e720d775035ea7a6.jpegA1044123-E716-4C6C-B62C-B9626C7FD7D5.thumb.jpeg.ab6a995267280bb8728ba9a042b274de.jpeg 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

Move a popular syndicated talk show to a low-rated station. This will surely work out OK!

Unless you have access to the entire NOLO ratings book then you really can't determine what an acceptable rating is for any program. In the end...it's all about billing...a "rating" is just one of MANY metrics used to determine sustainability of a program.  How much inventory do you think ABC is giving back to WWL right now?

Tegna wants to save some at that viewer momentum coming out of that 7-9am hour. Other groups are watching this formula closely and will folo suit.

Edited by Eat News
The Death of the Amarican Hobo https://youtu.be/LWHh9W5IeBo

8 minutes ago, rkolsen said:

One thing some shows need to do in my mind is to have a separate graphics package. In that five minute sample reel from WWL almost half used the standard TEGNA graphics.  If they want viewers to know the difference they either need to create a custom package or highly modify the standard templates (like maybe a distinct background for the lower thirds).  Additionally it would be best to come from a different set or a redresssed set area.  See these examples from newly launched CA Live.

6AEDBF77-95CE-42C5-8EA7-1D64657117A3.thumb.jpeg.f1bcb486049088dc1f3feda5feeaa62f.jpeg

717125F0-A88A-4813-844F-7CDFB8876FD4.thumb.jpeg.d24ce01bc11b88105160a12284f0376c.jpeg9D6D9754-C032-4AF2-BF48-B96AB12E9EE8.thumb.jpeg.b24754effbbf9a44e720d775035ea7a6.jpegA1044123-E716-4C6C-B62C-B9626C7FD7D5.thumb.jpeg.ab6a995267280bb8728ba9a042b274de.jpeg 

Heck, WFAA and KENS still use the 2012 Belo lifestyle graphics package for their 9am shows. WFAA did incorporate some elements from the current TEGNA graphics in a small refresh of the Belo package when they debuted the current TEGNA look.

Edited by Georgie56

36 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

Move a popular syndicated talk show that's been a staple of your station for years to a low-rated station in favor a pay-for-play morning show. Surely this won't backfire!

Hell yes they will use an older graphics package because it's free....they control that too. Keep cost down.

I doubt the people of NOLO will mind too much...if they can't find the show they can use that little channel clicker...or that phone to find the show. it's not like when Oprah abandon her core OTA viewers and slipped off to upper tier pay cable.

Edited by Eat News
Removed crown moulding and painted exterior siding with #2286 ash grey latex exterior.

8 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

This is beyond inexplicable. If this was Steve, Dr. Oz or Wendy, I could maybe understand why...but this is still the number one 9am syndicated show. It's outlasted 20+ clones. And you replace it with the same round of roofers and questionable plastic surgeons that pollute the airwaves in other parts of the day? And you shove that show off to a MyNetworkTV affiliate where it leads into...Sister Circle, which has its own completely incompatible audience, and the audience flow just dies even more from there.

They cancelled The 504 a couple years ago; why not bring that back (yeah, it was DOA leading in and out of MyNet, but still)? It seems like a novelty name for the process that Tegna puts their stations through to bring them in line with corporate standards is spreading, and sadly, there's no cure.

If I'm laying down odds, it's 75% Disney-ABC tears up their deal with WWL and bumps to WVUE in September (WDSU's stuck with Today's Third Hour, and WGNO has Wendy and even with a complete Nexstar "Local"ization, that part of the schedule needs no changes).

Let’s not forget that “Live!” has been on WWL since the program’s launch in syndication back in ‘88 with Regis & Kathie Lee. Back then, it aired at 8am, preceding CBS programming at 9a (e.g., the daytime version of “Family Feud” w/Ray Combs, among others), and later, syndicated programming. “Live!” moved to 9a when the morning news expanded into the 8a hour on WWL in 2004, if I’m not mistaken.....

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Bottom line, even if the ratings suck, WWL and Tegna will profit from it regardless of the ratings....making up lost ground from the damage they inflicted on the news product.

I've been reading this same kind of explanation on Uncle Barky's site about how WFAA still has Good Morning Texas even though it never wins its timeslot.  Apparently the paying-for-play outshines any amount of ratings the show might be getting.

22 hours ago, mightynine said:

What. The. F--k!?

As if how much more can you butcher a station?

23 hours ago, mightynine said:

Wow, WWL. They should've premiered the show in the fall of 2019 or back in September of last year, but this Monday?! First, they moved the 7-9am block of Eyewitness Morning News in 2016, and now they're moving "Live!" - a popular daytime show that's been airing on the station for 30 years (since the show was syndicated) after the news - to a little-watched MyTV affiliate. Bad move.

Edited by tw-804
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, tw-804 said:

Wow, WWL. They should've premiered the show in the fall of 2019 or back in September of last year, but this Monday?! First, they moved the 7-9am block of Eyewitness Morning News in 2016, and now they're moving "Live!" - a popular daytime show that's been airing on the station for 30 years (since the show was syndicated) after the news - to a little-watched MyTV affiliate. Bad move.

Why do you all think it's a bad move?

It there some financial reason you are aware of that you are not sharing with Tegna or the others here?

How does moving the show to another channel diminish the quality of the show? Is the sound or picture going to be worse on MYTV?

I'm pretty sure the show will still be the same...and have the same production values.

Why earth does the viewer even care if it's on MyTV?  Do our fickle viewers somehow feel insulted or degraded since it's on MYTV?

I bet those viewers can figure out how to change the channel... Kelly will get over those hurt feelings that Live will feel after being so brutally banished to MYTV after 30 years on WWL.

Maybe when they get their act together...and compensate WWL for it's valuable air time..."Live" might be able to return to WWL in it's coveted slot.

Come on guys...

It's only a TV show...it has NO FEELINGS.

Kelly and Regis will get over being "dissed" after a few days.

Edited by Eat News
"I feel so ashamed when I'm forced to watch network produced shows OFF Network".
  • Like 3

WWL has ratings “momentum” from 7 to 9? Ha! Have you actually looked at the numbers lately? They’re a solid third at 7 and at 8. The two-hour newscast they slid over to WUPL was first (or occasionally a close second) when it was on WWL and is now fourth. 

https://www.nola.com/entertainment/2018/11/wvue-fox-8-overtakes-wwl-in-new-orleans-local-news-ratings-race.html

Also ... why are all your posts boldfaced?!? 

Edited by Greggo

4 hours ago, Greggo said:

WWL has ratings “momentum” from 7 to 9? Ha! Have you actually looked at the numbers lately?

WWL thinks it's going to make more money by bumping "Live" over to MYTV.

They can probably move it back if they don't like the outcome of the decision.

I don't need to look at the numbers to understand why they made this decision....it's about more money for WWL in that timeslot...now they control the whole hour, and not just a few avails that they got with "Live".

They Can sell more time, and keep all the money from the 9-10 hour....while maintaining the viewer momentum (NOT ratings momentum)  from the morning show.

The ratings don't matter in this case...all that matters is the billing.

Edited by Eat News
(Screener) Soft Focus With Jena Friedman https://www.adultswim.com/videos/specials/soft-focus-with-jena-friedman/

5 hours ago, Greggo said:

WWL has ratings “momentum” from 7 to 9? Ha! Have you actually looked at the numbers lately? They’re a solid third at 7 and at 8. The two-hour newscast they slid over to WUPL was first (or occasionally a close second) when it was on WWL and is now fourth. 

https://www.nola.com/entertainment/2018/11/wvue-fox-8-overtakes-wwl-in-new-orleans-local-news-ratings-race.html

Wait a minute... WWL has "momentum" from 7-9 a.m.? Don't they mean WVUE? As far as I'm aware, WVUE has that "momentum," not WWL.